Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When and where do you wear your Irvin jacket?

Jejupe

Practically Family
"The Greycar RAF Sheepskin Flying Jacket is a faithful reproduction of unparalleled quality"

main-adrian-mingay-600x600.jpg

It could be a fine jacket, but "faithful reproduction" Irvin with handwarmer pockets? Really? o_O

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really don't get this concern about negative response. I've never had anything other than admiring comments about my Irvin. Even the 'Where's your Spitfire?' jokes are usually followed by '...and it looks great'. It's like anything, if you're overly self-conscious about what your wearing, people pick up on it. Just wear it, and the more you wear it, the more it becomes 'yours' and the better it'll look.

Last edited:
I really don't get this concern about negative response. I've never had anything other than admiring comments about my Irvin. Even the 'Where's your Spitfire?' jokes are usually followed by '...and it looks great'. It's like anything, if you're overly self-conscious about what your wearing, people pick up on it. Just wear it, the more you wear it, the more it becomes 'yours' and the better it'll look.

...yep, and if anyone absolutely insists on being cute about it, just remind them that you're literally never cold with just a t-shirt underneath while they're freezing even under eleven layers of polyester and nylon.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I find that wool/shearling is very versatile and can be comfortable in a wider range of temperature than any other material.
My home night time thermostat is set at 19 Celcius (66 F), and I can wear my RAF jacket open zipper with a t-shirt while watching TV. It's quite comfortable.
In the early mornings when there is frost on the grass, I would throw it on again to let the dogs out. If it's windy I zip up. It's also comfortable. The temperature outside is around 0 Celcius (32F)
I cannot do the same with my down jackets or my poly filled jackets. Once they heat up it's like an oven. And before they heat up they always feel cold. Wool/Shearling never feel cold at the start, and never heats up like an oven.
If I had to travel East where it gets down to -20 Celcius for weeks I would need my down liners. But for the PNW where it just swings between -10 to +10 depending on the time of the day, I find wool based products works best. Now that I've found shearling works the same but looks cooler than just wool blanket jackets.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
The same. I just bought another B3, although it's much slimmer and more B6 in cut and thickness, hoping I could get more fashion use out of it. But I wear my Aero B3 all the time. It's perfect in short bursts for walking the dogs at night, running the kids to school early morning. It's perfect for Los Angeles weather because usually nights and mornings are significantly colder. It could be 40 F early morning and 85 F midday. So it's perfect to throw over a tshirt to give you warmth, and then as the day goes on, you take it off and are ready for the warmer temps without having to shed layers. Same for rolling out of bed. No need to layer 8 things to let the dogs out.

I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck on a bus or in a subway in one that's for sure. Or be wearing on some grueling hike. But open air, 1-2 hour stretches, it's awesome. In fact, as far as "number" of wears, it's probably my most worn jacket since I'll use it every night from Nov to end of Feb to walk the dogs.

And I also agree about other winter jackets. I've got a couple Schott flight jackets stuffed with some kind of insulation and I heat up way more in those than I do my B3.

edit: and as far as what people think about you wearing one or how "funny" you look. Oh gosh. Was at the mall for the first time in years last week. I'd say 85% of people dress like slobs. Like actual pajama bottoms, poorly fitting clothing, etc. etc.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my Shearlings also sometimes in the house, when the heating does not warm everywhere equally well or in the transitional period, when the heating is not yet on. Or when sitting in the garden, on a fresh early or late summer evening.
And sometimes my colleagues might be irritated when I sit in the video call wearing the Shearling vest.
Last week I wore the 15 mm Shearling (Aero) for a family walk in windy fall weather. Was perfect. Had I gone alone, however, it would have been too warm.
As soon as it is permanently below 5 degrees celsius, it is shearling weather.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The same. I just bought another B3, although it's much slimmer and more B6 in cut and thickness, hoping I could get more fashion use out of it. But I wear my Aero B3 all the time. It's perfect in short bursts for walking the dogs at night, running the kids to school early morning. It's perfect for Los Angeles weather because usually nights and mornings are significantly colder. It could be 40 F early morning and 85 F midday. So it's perfect to throw over a tshirt to give you warmth, and then as the day goes on, you take it off and are ready for the warmer temps without having to shed layers. Same for rolling out of bed. No need to layer 8 things to let the dogs out.

I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck on a bus or in a subway in one that's for sure. Or be wearing on some grueling hike. But open air, 1-2 hour stretches, it's awesome. In fact, as far as "number" of wears, it's probably my most worn jacket since I'll use it every night from Nov to end of Feb to walk the dogs.

And I also agree about other winter jackets. I've got a couple Schott flight jackets stuffed with some kind of insulation and I heat up way more in those than I do my B3.

edit: and as far as what people think about you wearing one or how "funny" you look. Oh gosh. Was at the mall for the first time in years last week. I'd say 85% of people dress like slobs. Like actual pajama bottoms, poorly fitting clothing, etc. etc.

Able to wear my ELC D-1 shearling in the UK again :) good for walking the dog and sitting outside coffee shops. Town I live in most people wear sportswear but don’t do any sport, a few go out first thing in dressing gown and slippers for school run etc..slobs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24