When did the tacky practice of wearing brown shoes with blue suits become accepted?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Abraham, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

My opinion is that it looks TACKY if the brown is too light or the suit itself is tacky. I would not wear anything but black shoes with a suit but I admit that with the right shade of blue a dark brown shoe can look fine.

However, I hope everyone will agree that brown shoes will make the look more casual and, hence, definitely less suitable for work.

2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Depends on the job really. Even Cityboys - the original 'no brown in town' types - in London now aren't always in black shoes. I do tend to agree brown is more casual in a shoe, but we're not necessarily representative of contemporary norms. The average man these days seems to regard anything north of logo-less leather training shoes as 'formal', along with his 'dress jeans'...