Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does it become a costume?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
2007TomWolfe247.jpg

:eek:fftopic: Or rather a tangental thread jack.....

Anyone else catch that hat-shaped lampshade on the left??? How cool is THAT!!!
:eusa_clap

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
It is only a costume when you wear a mask, like me last night...(Burberry trench, VS hat, Aero gloves, Alden Indy shoes)
DSC02844.jpg

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Costume or Clothing

For the past few days I've been "looking through the window" at a variety of posts/threads simply because I didn't want to "over step" or "step on toes" with my chatty behavior.So I've just been observing! however,I'm seeing that it's a wide open range as long as one stays on topic or within the topics implied views! so here goes> > > > I have to say I've been so happy that I've found so many who are in the same boat as I am with the code of ethics & modes of dress standards (or lack of) within todays society.Havign been raised in an "Ozzie & Harriet" home the transitions I've seen in my personal life have been astounding to say the least! with that havign been said then I will state also that while in the 4 years of high school (71-75) I was continually & repeatedly mocked,jearred & "put-down" because of my "costume" choices!I was the "Mallory" of my school.The one who would now be reffered to as a fashionista!I was the one attempting to set a precedence of fashion, have some style, be a Vercacie or Channel.(didn't happen!)
so now.....fast forward to 2009/2010 I am of the age now,where I could give a rip about what people think of how I'm dressing allthough I've had some recent blunders that I've looked at the cell phone photos & said "what the ???? (heck) was I thinkin'?!" but it's all trial & error!just like when you were 4!you look good in the comfort of your own home you go out in public,get some looks & you think inside your own mind "YEAH that's right you wish you had to textiles & confidence to pull this off,that's right!" then you look at the pictures and look like homer simpson :eusa_doh: DOUGH! What was I thinnking...........again "what 'mental movie' are YOU IN???" holy cow~!
I will tell you this though, all of this started from a simple inheiretance of a few small shoe boxes of what appeared to be hankies held together with aged dry-rotted rubber bands that when removed from their location (much like a vault/tomb) they didn't "hold" very long!however, the gratitude I had just for receiving those simple little hankies produced a great wealth of vintage jewlery!there were broaches,rings,earrings (that triggered childhood memories beyond your wildest dreams!) CHRISTMAS Corsages!EVEN a "E" Pin my grandmother received for working in the long beach california Defense Plant!I rembered why mom still had her stuff some 30 -40 years later while her sister (who had to "copy" mom's impeccible taste) things were gone-by-the-wayside~MOM never put on her jewls until she was finished completely dressing from head to toe!that ment no perfumes or hairsprays soiled the beads!
With those simple boxes has come a wonderful journey which has brought me here!I slowly started wearing the earrings, then a pin, then I think I got my first vintage hat!Dad came to me one day & said "if you don't want these old hats, I'm gonna throw them out!" (which ment IN THE TRASH!!!)OMG, I nearly had a stroke!I practicaly "threw my back out" & "broke my neck" grabbing for them!It was fall/winter I had no clothes to accessorize these great "gifts" with so...I started sewing!first it was a dress pattern with 40% off cupon at Joann's Fabrics!that started it! I have everyone "on the look-out" for Rita! as I've posted in several "Powder Room" Threads I have clients who have given me stuff that they were "just going to 'Throw out' but thought I might like it instead" so I've strated slow with the 40's wear.a lot of people now, in & around town know who I am simply by the way I've begun to dress.However, too, when you really get into the dressing you do find yourself a little more aware of your manners/social graces is what mom referred to them as.Although,always having been raised to use "yes,mamme" "no, sir" "Mrs. X" "Mr. X" "Miss X" you don't hear it much out here in CA unless your on Base/Post;you hear it diffenatley down South (in Florida) still in most of the towns Miami being the exception, I think!
so as it's been posted by others: look twice in the mirror,when you put on your hat (& gloves, ladies) put on your manners,never spray colognes or perfumes (or hairsprays,ladies)last those actually should be spraied right after bath,drying off & powder.For you guys I think shave lotion or aftershave ~after shave!
WOW! pretty chatty huh!?

filfoster

One Too Many
My aunt Glad

1*Cool*Kitten said:
For the past few days I've been "looking through the window" at a variety of posts/threads simply because I didn't want to "over step" or "step on toes" with my chatty behavior.So I've just been observing! however,I'm seeing that it's a wide open range as long as one stays on topic or within the topics implied views! so here goes> > > > I have to say I've been so happy that I've found so many who are in the same boat as I am with the code of ethics & modes of dress standards (or lack of) within todays society.Havign been raised in an "Ozzie & Harriet" home the transitions I've seen in my personal life have been astounding to say the least! with that havign been said then I will state also that while in the 4 years of high school (71-75) I was continually & repeatedly mocked,jearred & "put-down" because of my "costume" choices!I was the "Mallory" of my school.The one who would now be reffered to as a fashionista!I was the one attempting to set a precedence of fashion, have some style, be a Vercacie or Channel.(didn't happen!)
so now.....fast forward to 2009/2010 I am of the age now,where I could give a rip about what people think of how I'm dressing allthough I've had some recent blunders that I've looked at the cell phone photos & said "what the ???? (heck) was I thinkin'?!" but it's all trial & error!just like when you were 4!you look good in the comfort of your own home you go out in public,get some looks & you think inside your own mind "YEAH that's right you wish you had to textiles & confidence to pull this off,that's right!" then you look at the pictures and look like homer simpson :eusa_doh: DOUGH! What was I thinnking...........again "what 'mental movie' are YOU IN???" holy cow~!
I will tell you this though, all of this started from a simple inheiretance of a few small shoe boxes of what appeared to be hankies held together with aged dry-rotted rubber bands that when removed from their location (much like a vault/tomb) they didn't "hold" very long!however, the gratitude I had just for receiving those simple little hankies produced a great wealth of vintage jewlery!there were broaches,rings,earrings (that triggered childhood memories beyond your wildest dreams!) CHRISTMAS Corsages!EVEN a "E" Pin my grandmother received for working in the long beach california Defense Plant!I rembered why mom still had her stuff some 30 -40 years later while her sister (who had to "copy" mom's impeccible taste) things were gone-by-the-wayside~MOM never put on her jewls until she was finished completely dressing from head to toe!that ment no perfumes or hairsprays soiled the beads!
With those simple boxes has come a wonderful journey which has brought me here!I slowly started wearing the earrings, then a pin, then I think I got my first vintage hat!Dad came to me one day & said "if you don't want these old hats, I'm gonna throw them out!" (which ment IN THE TRASH!!!)OMG, I nearly had a stroke!I practicaly "threw my back out" & "broke my neck" grabbing for them!It was fall/winter I had no clothes to accessorize these great "gifts" with so...I started sewing!first it was a dress pattern with 40% off cupon at Joann's Fabrics!that started it! I have everyone "on the look-out" for Rita! as I've posted in several "Powder Room" Threads I have clients who have given me stuff that they were "just going to 'Throw out' but thought I might like it instead" so I've strated slow with the 40's wear.a lot of people now, in & around town know who I am simply by the way I've begun to dress.However, too, when you really get into the dressing you do find yourself a little more aware of your manners/social graces is what mom referred to them as.Although,always having been raised to use "yes,mamme" "no, sir" "Mrs. X" "Mr. X" "Miss X" you don't hear it much out here in CA unless your on Base/Post;you hear it diffenatley down South (in Florida) still in most of the towns Miami being the exception, I think!
so as it's been posted by others: look twice in the mirror,when you put on your hat (& gloves, ladies) put on your manners,never spray colognes or perfumes (or hairsprays,ladies)last those actually should be spraied right after bath,drying off & powder.For you guys I think shave lotion or aftershave ~after shave!
WOW! pretty chatty huh!?
What? Come in here and have some sweet tea. Mind the extra sugar, now. I am thinking now about the 'age dry rotted rubber bands' I have encountered over the years and I know just what you mean. How do they stay intact until you touch them?

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
When does it become a costume?
That's easy: When it becomes too much!;)

I'm not sure Aunty Viv would agree (see below). lol

Actually, I did think about this recently when reading a seprate thread where someone mentioned folks they'd seen at vintage events wearing vintage stuff in a way that really would not have been done back in the day - making a show of the fact they're wearing braces instead of a belt, hats on inside, etc. I think that's a bigger issue, maybe, than some of the clothes themselves: how you wear it. It's like the difference between seeing Harrison Ford on set as Indy, when he is wearing the outfit very naturally, as clothes, and seeing him off-set, sitting in a modern car, drinking out of a modern can, talking on a cellphone.... then it's merely costume.

Of course, the point about whether what you wear is appropriate, as one of the ladies has made above, is also spot-on. Manys a time I have seen folks play 1950s dress-up, convinved that they are the last word in period accurate. Certainly, their outfits are superb, however, they are wearing leather and denim on a night out to an event that people back in the day would never have dreamed of attending so dressed-down. The net result is that it looks like the cast of a production of Grease on a night out rather than period-accurate dress. The odd juxtaposition, if historically correct is what you are shooting for, turns it from clothing to costume, imho.

Edward

Bartender
filfoster said:
Rorschach? Excellent!(sp??)

Correct spelling indeed!

And a superb costume....the film version of Roraschach is on my 'to do' list, but I'm waiting until I can afford to have a purple suit made up in a mid 50s cut so I can use that. :)

kampkatz

Practically Family
One would usually dress for comfort and safety on a bicycle. Perhaps the young lady in the photo is only posing, not ready to ride. Her outfit is interesting, but the PETA people would be unhappy. I see no objection since the fur is probably many years old.

jackfromdfw

New in Town
When it becomes a costume

IMO I would say it becomes a costume when clothing stands out on it's own. In other words, the jacket is wearing you, not you wearing the jacket - that's a costume. It's an aesthetic thing. Plus, the entire outfit has to appeal to the current fashion trends and the jacket is an added vintage accessory that reflects you own style. To be honest I dress more or less like a Brooks Brother/Polo/Jos. A. Bank/ Banana Republic ad, which are current fashions based on classic mens fashion. Add a vintage ascot, bow tie, skinny '60 tie, cuff links, double-breasted jacket or a fedora or flat cap and it becomes fashioned forward, not a costume.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
And this one... Costume? (Yes, in my mind.)

10019Bis2328Web.jpg

But this one...?

11019Chef6346Web.jpg

The first one: Could easily be me on one of those days, where you know you are not supposed to go on stage to collect an award at the Anual Advertising Awardshow in Denmark :D

The last one - I love it. No costume to me. Just sheer delight and beauty.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
kampkatz said:
One would usually dress for comfort and safety on a bicycle. Perhaps the young lady in the photo is only posing, not ready to ride. Her outfit is interesting, but the PETA people would be unhappy. I see no objection since the fur is probably many years old.

Does it make me a beast that I was drawn to the young lady's hips before I noticed the fox?? :eek: There is a long thread on the issue of vintage furs somewhere in the archives. I have no wish to reignite that debate (which became rather controversial and had to be shut down in the end), but basically while, I would say, a clear majority of folks were not in favour of new fur, opinions were decidedly split on whether the wearing of a vintage piece was ensuring that the animal concerned was not "wasted", or whether such use would, indirectly, help to stimulate the market for new fur. This is most definitely NOT a debate to re-open here, but in the context of your post you might find it interesting to read in the archives.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Soren...

Delight and beauty, indeed. And, yes, Edward the hips catch the eye.

The Sartorialist, Scott Shuman, has quite the eye. Case in point?

His girlfriend (who's got both great eyes and... well...) is Garance Dore, another street fashion photog and blogger (based in Paris).

Scott and Garance:

scott-schuman-garance-dore-thumb-500x368.jpg

Some of her *outerwear* work:

jademaxmara.jpg

anastasia2.jpg

dianek2.jpg

diane-rykiel5.jpg

Flitcraft said:
http://permanentstyle.blogspot.com/2008/03/when-style-becomes-costume.html

Interesting how the so recently "required" dress for businessmen in London- conservative suit, brolly and bowler- is now seen as "costume"...

Thanks for posting that. I'm not in lockstep agreement with him, but he states the basic point pretty darned clearly and convincingly.

Costume is ersatz. It looks phony because it is phony. When a "costumey" outfit is deliberately such, it's just good fun (usually), but when it isn't, well, it can be kinda sad.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Flit! Darn you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... another diversion to be added to my day! Curse you!

You're welcome!:) :p

Flitcraft

One Too Many
tonyb. et al...

You're right- I don't completely agree with him, either, but he's a guy who's trying to inject some individualism into his daily clothing choices, while still being taken seriously in a business context... so , he brings up some good points. Much as I extoll the virtues of expressing your individual taste, if the way you dress is too distracting, its hard to make the impression you want in a business setting.

PoohBang

Suspended
to me a costume is something you wear once a year...

an outfit is something you wear quite often. If you wear it enough and consistently then it's no longer a costume but it's what you wear.

Even if you wear a bear suit to work. You wear that bear suit everday, and nobody will think it's a costume.

Personally I think it has a lot to do with mixing. If you dress perfectly to a time period than maybe it might be scene as a costume. If you mix it up a bit then it becomes fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko