Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When You Entertain

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have this great book sponsored by the Coca Cola company. Thought I would start putting up bits of it.

From the 1932 book “When You Entertain, What to do, and How” by Ida Bailey Allen:

Invitations According to Convention and Convenience:

Although customs and conventions have changed in response to a changing world, the rules of courtesy governing invitations have changed but little.

The formal invitation, written or engraved in the third person and once widely used, is now reserved for the most formal occasions only. The visiting card, a note or telephone call has taken its place for informal affairs.

Formal invitations are sent two or more weeks in advance. Informal invitations may be telephoned just a day or two ahead, although few hostesses care to risk impromptu arrangements, and usually allow for or five days for safety’s sake.

The invitation itself gives the cue to the answer required—if in the third person, it must be answered by hand with a note written in the third person. Visiting card invitations also require an answer by note but not in the third person, nor on one’s own card. Courtesy decrees a prompt answer. When an engagement has been accepted it should not be broken except for urgent reasons, and the hostess should have notified immediately.

Correct stationary for invitations is white, cream or ivory; it is simple in form, without monogram, and never perfumed.
Formal invitations (with the exception of wedding invitations) are engraved on cards of rectangular shape, varying in size according to personal preference. The address is never placed at the top of cards to be engraved.
For formal invitations, written by hand, use note paper with the address at the top. The same is also used for notes in the second person. It is folded once and placed in an envelope to match.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vanessa said:
So I guess an 'e-vite' is out, right? :rolleyes:

Well if you are wishing to be 1932 polite, yes. But do note that she does not disdain the telephone as a possible method for more casual invites, so if the e-vite is the telephone of today......

More to come as my fingers recover from re-typing this...My goal is to eventually get the whole book in electronic format, so I can stop pawing my fragile books.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I get my assistant to reply to formal invitations on my behalf. As things get less formal, I find my response depends entirely on my relationship with the person inviting me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters