Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where am I going to wear a black suit?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
DeckardMatt-vi.jpg

Wow, is that Matt Deckard, or Dick Tracy... in his grey hat...?

Kishtu

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
to funerals...

I keep hearing that people are underdressing there.

Ah Miss Neecerie, but it is a bit of an undertaking isn't it.....

(I'll get my coat!)

I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to use Jude Law as a sartorial role model, even were I male.... far too cheeky-Cockney-chappie for me. I always suspect him of being the kind of man who wears novelty socks. Is that unkind?

slicedbread said:
... but I still need to ask...If you could wear a different color, then why black?

Yes, that suit looks nice, but wouldn't look better in charcoal or navy?

Black works for the same reason Navy does, or Charcoal does. But Black can also be more formal, and thereby more versatile. "Everyone else wears it..." - that's true, they may have a black suit on -- but that doesn't mean they are wearing it. (You'll stand out from the other guy on the train by simple virtue of cut and accoutrement.)

Because clothing should not just look good, and flatter your physical figure, but it should also be representative of how you are feeling that day, emotionally and mentally.

Senator Jack said:
You don't wear black; you live it.

Senator Jack

This is exactly what I mean. My perfect black suit is the BFG (see Duke Nukem ;) ) of my closet. When there is business to be done, there is simply nothing better.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CharlestonBows"Everyone else wears it..." - that's true said:
wearing[/I] it. (You'll stand out from the other guy on the train by simple virtue of cut and accoutrement.).

Nicely stated.

pistolpete

Familiar Face
Not a color.

Black does not belong in any classic wardrobe. A tuxedo should be midnight navy and charcoal is the only shade, not color that a man should consider. I might consider a black and white stripe but it's so gangster that we become even more costume wearers. Bang! Bang!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know... black looked pretty good on the swells in the 1920's. Find plenty of navy suits from back then though black on the East coast in the 1920's in the cities was the color of the day. Frock coats of the 1800's and cutaway coats of the teens... Classic as classic gets.

pistolpete

Familiar Face
Matt you do a.....

.....great job when you style 'The Mag," I'm the phone holder guy depicted in the adds in the last two issues, you are right, however black from the twenties was a throw pack th the vistorian era, where serge frock coats were de rigeur, my feeling is that the thirties where, depite the depression, a period of color for men, I own a complete collection of Esquire maga zines from 34' to 45' and use them as my bible, which many of us know shows color all the time, in adds and suggested wearings. I my work (haberdasher) I constantly guide guys into color year round. Bang! Bang!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just won my first vintage suit; it happens to be black
3 piece, by Kling Bros.
How old, do you reckon?

I'll put up decent shots once it gets here. I Can't really tell much from these, other than that I liked the cut, and that it should fit.

e2f4_1.jpg

e436_1.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I heard the midnight tuxes

pistolpete said:
Black does not belong in any classic wardrobe. A tuxedo should be midnight navy and charcoal is the only shade, not color that a man should consider. I might consider a black and white stripe but it's so gangster that we become even more costume wearers. Bang! Bang!

were developed for the stage and movies, as the bright incandescent lights made black look brown.

A gentleman who was not in the entertainment industry (and not apt or desiring to be in the spotlight) would still be wearing black.

Blue and brown suits were not formal enough for after 5, in those rare instances where you wouldn't be changing into a dinner jacket or dress attire. Only charcoal and black after 5.

Feraud

Bartender
J.S.Udontknowme said:
Most women have at least a few black dresses, but if a man wears a black suit or hat some people get all bent out of shape. Seems odd to me.
Good point. A black suit seems like it should be a staple item in a fellow's closet.
The aversion to black suits make those who wear them all the more interesting.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think that the stylish suit wearing gents of the world....are unique enough that they should be able to wear whatever color they can personally pull off.

It's like saying...'be an individual, but remember, individuals don't do that'

I say...wear a nicely tailored suit in whatever color -suits you and your coloring- and to hell with someones 'rules'.

dostacos

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
That's right... they are paid to like my suit.
maybe he was paid to like it BUT for her payment was a bonus ;)

I was going to answer the thread question with "anywhere you want!":)

Matt, some day I might see you looking less than spectacular but I am not going to hold my breath:D

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I'm confused...everyone talks about the aversion to black suits as if no one wears them.

black suits are seen EVERYWHERE. They're so incredibly ubiquitous that no one would even give you a second glance if they saw you wearing a black suit / blazer.

Of course, if your personal style is built around black, you have an entirely different thing going on.

But to say that you'd be more interesting for wearing a black suit seems entirely off base to me.

No, I don't dislike black in any way...I like black just fine. I just feel that it's wrong to say that a black suit is a staple(as in the first color you should buy) and I also completely disagree that a black suit could work anywhere. It can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy