Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where am I going to wear a black suit?

tonypaj

Practically Family
I wear a black suit with a black t-shirt (black socks, black wingtips, charcoal grey overcoat) to the office at times, I know, t-shirt and a suit, oh well... With a white shirt I look like an undertaker, and I hate black shirts with collars... All black is one way to go, it simplifies things... :)

tonypaj

kbadr

Familiar Face
While I admit a personal weakness in my ignorance of colors, I do think a black suits look sharp. I usually wear mine with a black shirt, and a colored tie. Looks really sharp, particularly on stage (where I think black is best because it's very neutral)

Justdog

Practically Family
Black Suit

Great suit.

Did you have that made?

If so where.

Perfect fit great color and style.

Particulary like the generous cut of the pants.

Well done.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Here is a guy who knows how to wear a black suit: George Clooney playing the title role in Michael Clayton.

michealclaytoytonbigimage.jpg

He wears it in virtually every scene of the film...and he also wears a black topcoat over the suit.

18792013.jpg

He is nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. Will he win? Watch tomorrow night.

PenMan

Familiar Face
I found this thread to be extremely helpful. I have a fantastic peak lapel Joseph Abboud suit that I got new for peanuts (well under $100), but I rarely wear it to anything other than fairly formal evening events. I have assumed that with my blonde hair and blue eyes I need more of a low contrast colour. Now it occurs to me that navy, dark brown etc. are providing just about as much contrast as black, but I haven't shied away from them. I think I'll wear black tomorrow, and just brighten it up with the right shirt and pocket square.

Justdog

Practically Family
Confesion

Have to confess.

Would and do wear a black suit when, grocery shopping, going to the mall, out for dinner, with tie, without tie, any excuse and just because, smile

Daniel

Familiar Face
I'm wearing a black suit today (Banana Republic, of all things, from a thrift store) and find it exceptionally versatile. It looks great and up-to-date worn as a two-piece with a white tab collar shirt buttoned at the top with a small black tuxedo stud. It looks formal as a three-piece with a white dress shirt and solid tie. It can also have some "pop" with a bright shirt, tie, and pocket square.

Looking through current style magazines, like GQ, it seems the black suit/skinny tie is all the rage. Sort of reminds me of the Eisenhower era.

Jovan

Suspended
slicedbread said:
I'm confused...everyone talks about the aversion to black suits as if no one wears them.

black suits are seen EVERYWHERE. They're so incredibly ubiquitous that no one would even give you a second glance if they saw you wearing a black suit / blazer.

Of course, if your personal style is built around black, you have an entirely different thing going on.

But to say that you'd be more interesting for wearing a black suit seems entirely off base to me.

No, I don't dislike black in any way...I like black just fine. I just feel that it's wrong to say that a black suit is a staple(as in the first color you should buy) and I also completely disagree that a black suit could work anywhere. It can't.
I've stayed out of this thread for a while just to see where it goes.

I sort of agree with you. It certainly should not be the first suit you get (as was my mistake), but Deckard did say as much on page 2. We get into muddy waters with its usefulness. While I'm sure one could wear it anywhere without the same retribution you'd get for a loud plaid suit, I would want to change it up and not wear it every single day. That said, it seems to work just fine as far as I've seen as long as you don't follow the same dress code as the MIB. Both Matt and another handsome devil who writes for The Cad prove this.

charles.jpg

I also attempted as much with my black suit's last outing.

holiday2007011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo