Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I buy high waist pants/trousers?

Neiru

New in Town
Anyone know? I know they are not the style anymore, but they look great and are comfortable compared to the low and mid waist of today.

Edward

Bartender
Much depends where you are and on budget.... There are a lot of repro places online. Aero's 30s trousers are fantastic; Cathcart London I am also well pleased with.

At the more budget end of the market (and depending on how wide you want....) I've been very pleased with some trousers from Peterchristian.co.uk in a sort of English 50s width with a good waistband on the actual natural waist. For the Summer, I recently picked up three pairs of sofmilitary.co.uk (if you're in the US, Whatpriceglory.com is great) repro WW2 US Army chinos. WW2 era milspec repro is an excellent way to pick up an affordable pair of trousers that with care (avoid thigh map pockets and ankle straps, obvs) can be easily adapted into a civilian look. With cotton of course you can always dye them, as I plan to do with two of my pairs of new chinos.

The other company I've bought trousers from and been pleased is www.darcyclothing.com .

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
If you're into milsurp the US Army M1951 wool trousers are high waisted whipcord wool pants. They're only slightly thicker than dress wool, thinner than denim. They're great for fall and winter. Any color you wamt as long as it's Olive Drab.

Oh! And I have a few pair of British Army "Barracks trousers", thinner whipcord, light brown, and high waisted.

I like a natural waist, not only is it comfortable, but I think it looks a lot more put together when your shirt doesn't peek out under your coat buttons.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Off White trousers 001.JPG Off White trousers 003.JPG
The other alternative of course, is to marry a lady that can make them for you. These trousers will eventually become the replacements for the ones that were damaged by the dry cleaners.

At present they are a work in progress, I'm having a fitting later today, after which the waistband, which will sit just below my rib cage, will be finished complete with internal buttons for the braces/suspenders for support. The fly will be finished and will be button fastening, then the lady will finish the trouser hems with an inch and a half turned up cuff. All they will need after that is a good press.

I've put them up today because without the waistband you can get a detailed look at the pleating and marker tabs which line up but are out of sight under the waistband. One other indulgence that comes with hand made trousers is the quality of the fabric. It is expensive but as the lady says, it's worth it for the finish and durability. I can tell you, she's not wrong.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
View attachment 534158 View attachment 534160
The other alternative of course, is to marry a lady that can make them for you. These trousers will eventually become the replacements for the ones that were damaged by the dry cleaners.

At present they are a work in progress, I'm having a fitting later today, after which the waistband, which will sit just below my rib cage, will be finished complete with internal buttons for the braces/suspenders for support. The fly will be finished and will be button fastening, then the lady will finish the trouser hems with an inch and a half turned up cuff. All they will need after that is a good press.

I've put them up today because without the waistband you can get a detailed look at the pleating and marker tabs which line up but are out of sight under the waistband. One other indulgence that comes with hand made trousers is the quality of the fabric. It is expensive but as the lady says, it's worth it for the finish and durability. I can tell you, she's not wrong.

I've been thinking more and more about learning my way around my Singer Featherweight. It's really funny you mention sewing, as I was just looking through patterns today!

Being able to make my own garments or even repair my vintage stuff would be great. Save me a lot of internet hunting!

Reactions: Zoo

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Being able to make my own garments or even repair my vintage stuff would be great. Save me a lot of internet hunting!
Back in my college days, pre-internet there was a Singer Sewing Machine shop on every major high street, I had a Saturday job in one of their East London shops. A high percentage of the customers were male. Times were changing and working people were beginning to have more money in their pocket and although ready to wear clothes prices were falling, most households still had a sewing machine, and the skill to use it.

Here is, with the help of a full length mirror, the length, the waist height and the hem circumference of the kind of trousers I am lucky enough to have made for me.

Khakhi trousers 001.JPG Khakhi trousers 003.JPG Khakhi trousers 005.JPG Khakhi trousers 006.JPG Khakhi trousers 007.JPG Khakhi trousers 008 - Copy.JPG Khakhi trousers 009.JPG
Sorry about the carpet slippers, I will get the lady to take a decent photo when she's not so busy on the current pair of trousers that she is making for me.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Back in my college days, pre-internet there was a Singer Sewing Machine shop on every major high street, I had a Saturday job in one of their East London shops. A high percentage of the customers were male. Times were changing and working people were beginning to have more money in their pocket and although ready to wear clothes prices were falling, most households still had a sewing machine, and the skill to use it.

Here is, with the help of a full length mirror, the length, the waist height and the hem circumference of the kind of trousers I am lucky enough to have made for me.

View attachment 534707 View attachment 534708 View attachment 534709 View attachment 534710 View attachment 534711 View attachment 534712 View attachment 534715
Sorry about the carpet slippers, I will get the lady to take a decent photo when she's not so busy on the current pair of trousers that she is making for me.
Like you walked out of 1930s catalog!
F75BF7B6-00E1-4A38-A861-36D80340B55D.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
With a waist as slim as that, I should be so lucky. The lady has taken the photo, by the way, she not only made the trousers, she made the shirt too.
Khakhi trousers 010.JPG

That really is a jukebox behind me, an original Wurlitzer.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
Demob trousers

velvetackbar

New in Town
Late to the party.

I own several pairs of what price glory Boer War spec trousers and they are solid pants. Appear to be a similar cut to Scully with a high tail in back.

My shorts version of the. Boer War trousers have actually gotten me compliments, which is weird.

Edward

Bartender
I've been thinking more and more about learning my way around my Singer Featherweight. It's really funny you mention sewing, as I was just looking through patterns today!

If you do, there are a bunch of folks on Etsy who sell vintage patterns adapted for modern multi-sizes. Eva Dress also do good patterns (I have some of these somewhere, though not used them yet as I'll have to employ someone else's skills.) https://evadress-patterns.myshopify.com/collections/mens-patterns

Late to the party.

I own several pairs of what price glory Boer War spec trousers and they are solid pants. Appear to be a similar cut to Scully with a high tail in back.

My shorts version of the. Boer War trousers have actually gotten me compliments, which is weird.

Yes - the WW2 era version of same will also be a good option (with a slightly wider leg, I think, than Boer era?). Service Dress & Officer Service Dress styles. Also, US Army Pinks for wool. RAF for blues.

There are *some* trousers from the Other Side available in those repro places that offer greys - unless you have an issue with wearing something Axis, even repro and wholly out of context - though many fewer that don't have some sort of ankle strap or other detail that limits their potential for civilian wear.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you do, there are a bunch of folks on Etsy who sell vintage patterns adapted for modern multi-sizes. Eva Dress also do good patterns (I have some of these somewhere, though not used them yet as I'll have to employ someone else's skills.) https://evadress-patterns.myshopify.com/collections/mens-patterns
Click on to The Vintage Pattern Shop. https://www.thevintagepatternshop.com/ You want the Vogue Zoot suit pattern, number 2367. Here you go: https://www.thevintagepatternshop.c...g-pattern-chest-38-40-42-mens-zoot-suit-r827/ The jacket would require tailoring skills, but the pattern includes high waist, wide trousers, exactly the sort that this thread is all about.
This post is probably eligible for the "You know that you are getting old thread." I clean forgot to show you Tina's finished effort, so to put that right, here you go.
new trousers gamboa hat 001.JPG new trousers gamboa hat 002.JPG new trousers gamboa hat 003.JPG

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
^ Indiana Jones retired sartorial with a little boost from studio wardrobe. Colour here is key, and the hat bash sez spades plenty straight down to shoes. Stick and slick, tie bar and teardrops. Made in the shade.

Connery really pulled it off as dad. It's all down to the man when all and everything said and done.

Damn fine show GHT.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Apologies, I should have said thank you much earlier.

Blue blazer 002.JPG
I do take your point on colour, whether it's matching or contrasting, it's getting it right that gives the apparel impact. Originally I had intended to wear a royal blue hat with this blazer, but I had to agree with the lady, it would looked "swamped" with so much of the deeper blue.
1697877737188.png
Wearing the lighter blue to contrast with the blazer and match the trousers that Tina made is the way to go.
The hat was made for me by former Lounger Esther Weis. Fox Tailoring made the blazer and Colin Johnson, the shoes.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Much depends where you are and on budget.... There are a lot of repro places online. Aero's 30s trousers are fantastic; Cathcart London I am also well pleased with.
Making the trousers yourself doesn't always equate to a cost saving. Today I drove Tina to the west side of Dorset, Sturminster Newton to be exact. We went to her Mecca, http://www.hansonsfabrics.co.uk/ Hansons. After seriously damaging my wealth we came home with two purchases of fabric.
Fabric 002.JPG
Fabric 003.JPG Fabric 004.JPG Fabric 005.JPG
The fabric is Jersey Twill, it's folded double and is sixty inches wide. Tina bought the burgundy and mine is the grey colour. In addition to the fabric there's all the notions, like the paper pattern, thread, buttons, interfacing, lining and, and, and. The spend for mine alone came in at about £140, it will take Tina about twenty hours to make them. Simon at Cathcart has these flannels at £245, https://www.cathcartheritage.com/collections/trousers-2/products/ellingtonflannels The difference between the excellent Cathcart trousers and the ones Tina will make is that made to measure results in a perfect fit as this picture clearly shows.
Brown blazer and baggies 002.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto