Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where can one buy correspondent shoes in the UK for a reasonable price?

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
I am looking for already made black white, new yorker style correspondent shoes in the UK.

Not going for over 100 pounds or less...

Any help would be great.

Cheers

I did a search but only came to find magnoli but I am looking for ones that are cheaper...

Salv

One Too Many
You could try Johnson Shoes - £85 per pair, and made for dancing, they have several styles of correspondent/spectator shoes. I've seen and handled their shoes and the soles are quite thin, but they're all hand made and not bad value for money.

And Violet Promotions have several styles as well, at just £80, with leather soles, although whenever I've tried ordering shoes from them they've beenout of stock. I haven't seen any of their shoes but a couple of other Loungers have them and like them.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
cookie said:
There is a person who sells them for GBP140 but sometimes they are for opening bids of GBP 110 - mark_augustine.

Then there are Herrings but all those are around /over GBP100 and Remix http://remixvintageshoes.com/index3.html in the USA at USD148 that's GBP74...

I believe Mark's shoes will be either the Alfred Sargent "George" or the "Melly" - try buying from him direct at:

http://www.tailsandtheunexpected.co...act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=196&cat=2&catstr=HOME:2

He may remember me, although I haven't seen him since he closed his shop in Jacbob's Market some years ago.

IIRC the Herrings shoes willl also be by AS, albeit upgraded to have a full leather lining.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-list.php?brandID=6&catID=43

The As/Herring styles are single-soled without stormwelt as per the Remix versions and thus a bit sleeker whilst still being good town shoes. I have a pair of the AS shoes, as does Paddy (I think) and we are both very happy with them. eBay is also worth watching (of course) if you are not in a hurry.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
excellent guys I saw the AS shoes look great, I saw something similar in Harrods and it is going on sale tomorrow see if I can get a pair tuesday... I work there so get a bit off even on sale prices....

Cheers for the help guys see what I can get great choice I love the New yorker and spectator style referring to the magnoli site...

I will have to get my hands on a pair and a decent fedora soon to join u guys...

Thank you again...

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Zeropositive said:
excellent guys I saw the AS shoes look great, I saw something similar in Harrods and it is going on sale tomorrow see if I can get a pair tuesday... I work there so get a bit off even on sale prices....

Cheers for the help guys see what I can get great choice I love the New yorker and spectator style referring to the magnoli site...

I will have to get my hands on a pair and a decent fedora soon to join u guys...

Thank you again...

Zeropositive, good luck and please let us know what you get (especially the maker, for my benefit!)

Anthony.

Edward

Bartender
I have a pair of black and white, leather soled brogues I bought from Violet Promotions in 2003. Great shoes, would definitely deal with them again. You do need to contact them in advance as the lady who runs the company can be away donig the convention circuit for months on end, but they are excellent shoes and a much better price than anywhere else I could find. Mine are not quite ready for their first resoling now, and I wear them semi-regularly - not day to day, but still often.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Quite! The correct name is co-respondent, as in divorce proceedings. Reflecting the period view that such shoes were somewhat louche and only worn by cads, bounders and gigolos.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wear them, so...

nightandthecity said:
Quite! The correct name is co-respondent, as in divorce proceedings. Reflecting the period view that such shoes were somewhat louche and only worn by cads, bounders and gigolos.

Yes sireeee!!! that's just about right!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cads, bounders and gigolos

nightandthecity said:

We should start a new thread on the FL. Identify these (potential?) particular charachters on the Lounge.

First rule though....the person must have AT LEAST 2 pairs of (the co-responding) spectators:D ;) :p

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Recently Purchased

Hello!

Best low-cost correspondents I’ve come across? try these- made by NPS in Northampton UK, go to their website (www.nps-solovair.co.uk) and contact them directly- they do not appear to advertise this shoe anywhere in their literature! It may of course be discontinued and I have merely purchased old stock. Construction wise, great craftsmanship; Goodyear welted soles, leather upper and inner, excellent thick, pliable leather outer. Brogue pattern is simple, not the most accurately punched I’ve seen, but still nice. The colour is fantastic! They also do a black and white version. I’ve only had my pair for two days so I cannot possibly comment on their durability. I paid £100from ‘Rodney’ in Camden Horse Tunnel Market, London.

top_view.jpg

side_view.jpg

Slightly up market from these, try Alfred Sergeant. A better quality shoe also reflected in the price; £165.00 GBP (London, Feb 09’). Beware of the black and white ones though- I take great care of my shoes but the leather still cracked very early in their life. I did buy these about three years ago, so maybe they have sourced better quality leather by now. Their brown and cream are very nice though and do not share the same problem with cracking. These are my day-wear shoe of choice. If looked after properly, they are watertight, durable and very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw