Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you hang your hat?

fmw

One Too Many
Since there are no "rules" anymore, I look around and put my hat any place that is safe lol . I'll put it in the pew next to me in church, on my knee, on top of the pile of coats, on the edge of the restaurant table. If there is no place to safely set my hat, I'll keep it on my head, and if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem!!! :p

There were never any rules, only customs and good manners. Those are still in place. Moving the "problem" to someone else doesn't change anything. It is still rude to eat with a hat on your head. Nobody is keeping you from being rude. It is a choice you make. In my case, if there is nowhere to put my hat, I put it on my lap.

30s sliphorn

New in Town
At Veterans Memorial Hall in Rockford, IL, the seats in the auditorium have wire clips underneath them not only to hold hats, but gloves as well. The building was dedicated by Teddy Roosevelt in 1903. I wish I had photos of the clips; they are very ornate.

At Veterans Memorial Hall in Rockford, IL, the seats in the auditorium have wire clips underneath them not only to hold hats, but gloves as well. The building was dedicated by Teddy Roosevelt in 1903. I wish I had photos of the clips; they are very ornate.

Interesting... Teddy was sworn into office in Buffalo, but our city hall dates from a few decades later. The addition would be useful... gloves are taken off in our Common Council chambers on a regular basis.

T Rick

Practically Family
Depends on the venue/restaurant. I won't keep it in my lap while I eat, but do prefer to take it off (unless sitting at the bar, which I liken to eating at a lunch counter, which according to etiquette thread I read here, is a place one needn't take it off... ?). A a Cracker Barrel, they have one coat/hat rack in each seating area. If I'll have a good view of it, I am likely to place it there (seldom used by anyone else). The local Bucca De Beppo for example, has a coat hook between each set of booths (almost left a hat there on my last trip in!). Often times, it'll sit on an adjacent chair or in the booth next to me. If these are all filled, and I don't spot what I consider a suitable place to put it (very rare), I will likely just keep it on, making apologies to whoever I am keeping company.

ETA: In a church, it'll go next to me or in my lap as space permits. I just won't eat over the top of it, no need to take a chance on food/beverage spills!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I'm at any restaurant where I'm being served by wait staff, I remove my hat. In diners, there's usually space in the booth, often on the window sill. At a restaurant table, I put it on top of my medical bag on the floor under my chair.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
All of mine are crowded and it's just getting worse. Here is the one by the door. The closets are full and the ones in the other rooms keep dropping hats.

528699_10150818802278811_642563810_9890413_1600925763_n.jpg

Michael Plante

New in Town
Hat Racks

What do you use to hang your hats?

I have a coat stand that I keep in the entry way but the hooks are to close together I can't really have more than two hats on it at a time.

The hat hooks I've looked at for mounting on the wall also seem too shallow or too close together to accommodate fedoras.

Any suggestions on what you find most useful for daily storage?

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
hi gang
i made my own hat racks by sawing a 1x 12 x 6 down the middle and drilling 1/2 inch holes at a diagnale and useing 6 inch by 1/2 dowl rods by drilling every 12 inches i got 5 hats per section and screwed it to my wall useing drywall screws
i would love to send a pic of it but this site is not photo friendly to novices like myself
why is it such a pain to post photos here anyway?
charlie

Redfan45x

New in Town
My room closet is old enough (house built in 1900) that they have a board on the top which is what I assume for placing hats etc on, that whole long shelf is filled with my hats, military helmets, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner