Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you hang your hat?

jpbales

Practically Family
good idea

1OldGI said:
JP,
I like it. Have you considered using a rack in the base somehow? Maybe a green felt covered triangluar base bordered with a wooden rack? Don't know how doable it is but I would probably put pool balls on all my hanging positions.

I like the idea of using a rack as the base. Using pool balls to hang hats off of isn't a bad idea either, but I don't if I'd be able to make that work haha.

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
My Hat Rack

As I've mentioned before, the "boss" cut my hat purchases off (even though many are for her) because of $$$ and storage issues. Well I've started to address the storage issues.

PB070013.JPG
PB070019.JPG

PB070014.JPG

The only thing I had to buy were the 1 1/2" doll heads, since I had the oak boards and dowels in stock. Just need to make a few more racks for various spots around the house.

Ralph

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Quick idea

You can often find antique door knobs at flea markets and antique shops.

Taking a piece of wood as the base, you could easily mount a number of door knobs in a straight line, or even stagger them (some off-center a little high, some off-center a little low) to create some visual interest, leaving enough space between door knobs to fit a fedora.

Depending upon your available wall space, this board with knobs could be mounted across a wall horizontally, or up a wall vertically.

When a hat is being worn, the knobs will look pretty cool on their own.

Here's an example I googled up. I'd probably do it a bit differently, but this is the basic premise:

Link

Here's one that's probably more in line with my tastes:

Link

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hat Head said:
You can often find antique door knobs at flea markets and antique shops.

Taking a piece of wood as the base, you could easily mount a number of door knobs in a straight line, or even stagger them (some off-center a little high, some off-center a little low) to create some visual interest, leaving enough space between door knobs to fit a fedora.

Depending upon your available wall space, this board with knobs could be mounted across a wall horizontally, or up a wall vertically.

When a hat is being worn, the knobs will look pretty cool on their own.

Hat Head, That is a great suggestion. I'd like to see pictures of one using glass knobs. That should look very nice. :)

Viggen

New in Town
Hat Rack or Hat Holders

I have looked around a bit and am not finding hat racks or hat holders type things, someplace to keep actively worn hats when not wearing them.
We do Artistic Blacksmithing and wondering what you have seen for designs that you liked, any material, or found suitable for your day to day use. Right now we just sort of put our hats on the cabinet top of an ancient stereo set as we come in the house. There has got to be something a bit more upscale.

I am new to this whole taking care of hats thing and want to make it nice. And my sons have picked up on the utility of wearing real hats as well. Pretty cool.

This one is nice
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=818127&postcount=1

I have a few hat/coat trees around the house but the post don't seem to separate the brims enough. I have a board with hooks across it in the utility room, lower hooks get coats & upper ones get hats. They are spaced wide enough for brims to only slightly overlap.
I also have this hat stand that is a used horse shoe for a base with a rod bent to be a hat rest, don't have photo but can be seen being used here...
pin2.jpg

pin3.jpg

pin4.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
I was going to ask the same question just yesterday.
There are a lot of cheap hat racks on ebay, but I'm a little concerned about the hooks, (not unlike the ones I'm using now), leaving little "dent's" in the crown.

I saw some screw-on wall mounts with a half-moon shaped ceramic rest on them, relatively speaking; not cheap,...if I see them again I'll buy a bunch and post them. (pun intended);)

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I got a hat/coat tree at Ikea. I think it was about $20 or $30. It only has four hooks, and really they're rather close together, but the hooks are different sizes/heights, so even though the brims of the hats overlap, they don't mash into each other, and sit pretty nicely because no two hats are at the same height.

Socrets

Familiar Face
I just stick to either keeping them in their boxes when not in use or on hat stands. Aaron Hats as well as a few other online stores sell them for cheap. The stands take up more space but they act like a miniature head for the hats.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
dnjan said:
P.S. Just reminiscing - I remember these clips on the backs of the pews for hats when I was a kid ...

I don't recall such clips when I was a kid, but spotted them and made use of one last week at my wife's aunt's funeral. I was wearing my Knox Tuxedo and was disappointed that there was no cloak room at the front of the church. It's a very old church (over 175 years!) and fairly small. I was delighted when I settled into a pew and noticed the clip right in front of me.

An observation: the pews were sectioned, each section wide enough for four people. On the backs of the pews in front, there were two clips per section. Apparently the assumption was that the four people would make up two couples, so only two clips were needed.

Another observation: the front row of pews did not have clips on them, but I noticed that the back row of pews did. It appeared to me that when the pews were installed the installers did not notice the pews without clips, which would have gone on the back row, and accidently put them up front.

Here are a couple of shots using my wife's phone.

Hatclipinpew.jpg

Hatclipinpew1.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Undertow said:
Personally, I take my hat off ANY time I'm indoors unless I'm in a public shopping area like a mall or grocery store, or if I'm standing in a public area like a waiting room STILL WAITING TO BE HELPED. If I'm planning to sit somewhere, or rest somewhere, or talk to someone for more than five minutes and I'm indoors at a public facility (or private for that matter), I take my hat off. And always at the table.

However, the exception I make is while getting a quick bite AND I'm unable to set my hat on my knee. I don't think hats should be placed on a table so I leave it on. However, if I'm going to be there more than ten minutes, I'll hold the darn thing if need require.
That sounds about right.

Tango Yankee said:
I don't recall such clips when I was a kid, but spotted them and made use of one last week at my wife's aunt's funeral. I was wearing my Knox Tuxedo and was disappointed that there was no cloak room at the front of the church. It's a very old church (over 175 years!) and fairly small. I was delighted when I settled into a pew and noticed the clip right in front of me.

An observation: the pews were sectioned, each section wide enough for four people. On the backs of the pews in front, there were two clips per section. Apparently the assumption was that the four people would make up two couples, so only two clips were needed.

Another observation: the front row of pews did not have clips on them, but I noticed that the back row of pews did. It appeared to me that when the pews were installed the installers did not notice the pews without clips, which would have gone on the back row, and accidently put them up front.

Here are a couple of shots using my wife's phone.

Cheers,
Tom

Wow I had forgotten about them! Thanks! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

email68

One of the Regulars
What kind of hat racks?

Are all hat racks equal?

I'm just getting into fedora's and will soon have 3. Looking for some kind of hat rack. Wall mount preferred.

What's your favorite?

-Tim

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have a Victorian Hall tree in red oak. It has 8 large round posts to put the hats on as well as umbrella holders. You can find 'em in different sizes and styles at most antique shops across the U.S. Mine has a mirror for that all important final check of the tilt before you head out the door :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner