Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where there's tea, there's hope"

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Honey in Tea?/other hints.

I've seen mention of it more than once in this thread.
Put honey in tea and it muddys the flavour- tastes like the smell of old socks.
I really think honey and tea is a no-no. Not recommended.

Making your own Earl Grey is easy- flavour your your choice of loose tea with essential oil of Bergamot(common sense must prevail- there is toxicity).
That's all Earl Grey is, Bergamot flavoured black tea.

Chai(mixed/cooked tea) is best made from scratch and is best with fresh ginger, or cardamom- tea masalas have their place, I guess but simplest is best.

B
T

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Honey is good in tea for coughs....

In the Russian side of my family, we also use jam...say a kamquat or apricot one..something fairly tart..in tea...that and lemon ....

and I drink it in British style, milk two sugars, on my own.

So I drink tea two completely different ways, and never mix the two ideas...they are like two different beverages in my mind.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I suppose it's rather pedestrian, but we drink PG Tips ever since my wife found out that Julie Andrews drinks it. But, good enough for Dame Julie, good enough for us.

My wife also puts honey in hers. I'm a heathen though, I drink it straight, unadulterated, no milk/cream/sugar/honey/whatever.:eek:

Brad

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I like lapsang souchong tea (I believe it is also called Russian caravan). It is very stout and has a strong smokey and earthy flavor that reminds me of a peat fire. I also like to drink black assam tea.

I drink my tea straight. I enjoy the astringent qualities and the flavor of tea and don't like to change it with additives.

I've never been a big fan of the more perfumey/floral teas like earl grey. They always make me feel like I'm drinking perfume. I guess that's because I've never been a fan of sweets. I prefer savory flavors any day.

dnjan

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Great selection from SpecialTeas or Mark T. Wendell for bulk orders.
Another good mailorder place is Simpson and Vail
I order two pounds of their Keniworth Estate Ceylon (wonderful, long leaves!) every other month for my breakfast/morning tea.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dnjan--Yes sir, I have also ordered from them sometimes. They have a really interesting blend for those who like a flavered/scented tea called J. P. Morgan Blend. It is a blend of Lapsang Souchoung and Earl Grey. I bought some on a lark once and actually liked it but it was way too far out for my wife. I don't particularly care for Earl Grey but I really enjoy the Lapsang on a cold night with a nice peaty scotch, warmed as well. I llike my tea just as my scotch...neat!

The Malawi Estate Kenyan tea from SpecialTeas is also a fine black tea.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Honey is good in tea for coughs....

In the Russian side of my family, we also use jam...say a kamquat or apricot one..something fairly tart..in tea...that and lemon ....

and I drink it in British style, milk two sugars, on my own.

So I drink tea two completely different ways, and never mix the two ideas...they are like two different beverages in my mind.

My best friend's mother is Ukrainian (her father is Russian, but she no longer lives with him).

I don't know if it's a Ukrainian or a Russian way of making tea, but she mixes a bunch of different flavors together I'm pretty sure. I've never had tea at their apartment that isn't a swirl of different flavors. It's good stuff.

Geesie

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
I like lapsang souchong tea (I believe it is also called Russian caravan). It is very stout and has a strong smokey and earthy flavor that reminds me of a peat fire. I also like to drink black assam tea.

I drink my tea straight. I enjoy the astringent qualities and the flavor of tea and don't like to change it with additives.

I've never been a big fan of the more perfumey/floral teas like earl grey. They always make me feel like I'm drinking perfume. I guess that's because I've never been a fan of sweets. I prefer savory flavors any day.

Ah yes, Russian Caravan. I had forgotten the name. The first time I was aware of it, I thought that my parents were frying ham for breakfast.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Has anybody tried African Rooibos or Red tea? I never put milk or sugar in my tea, and for those who do I would suggest trying this without either.

Fantastic! Sweet almost like it has sugar already added. I'm not at all a fan of non-tea-leaf tea like herbal. This I really like!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Some malls have a store called Teavana...Some really good stuff but it is at a premium price. They have a website you can order from, too.

Our Wegman's has loose green, white and black teas. I am enjoying a very tasty white tea. It has peach in it.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Tea....well, what can I say? Tea=Life. I drink Red Rose, on a daily basis, hate Lipton, but can drink it if I"m desperate enough...I love Irish Breakfast, and English Breakfast...actually, as long as it's a nice STRONG black tea I'm good. I'm such a tea freak I get alot of Tea's as presents, birthday, Christmas, people cleaning out their cupboards, :rolleyes: It's great. I take a hot water heater and tea with me to camps, it's pretty funny the looks I get pulling it all out of my suitcase, I just smile and explain "it's an addiction, you do NOT want to see me without my morning cup." The first day I miss it, they understand lol

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Tea is quite the ritual for me-- a means for relaxation.

I've been told I prepare it in the "Posh" fashion.

1. Heat the pot, infuser and cup by filling with the hottest tap water possible.
2. Boil water
3. Add tea to infuser, drain pot.
4. Add infuser to pot, then add water.
5. Steep for no less than 3 and no more than 5 minutes.
6. Remove infuser and dispose of leaves.
7. Enjoy!

I take Earl grey with about 3 oz. of cream and a dash of sugar. So far, my faborite is Zhena's gypsy tea. They have a lovely "Uplifting Earl Grey" and a fabulous "Coconut Chai" that I'll drink when I'm feeling extra sassy.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I think the secret to the perfect pot of tea, yes, i'm sorry it does have to be a pot!!!, is to bring fresh water to the boil and warm the pot 1st by "swishing" boiling water into the pot, then one full teaspoon of loose tea per person and one extra (for the pot) alow the tea to stand or "brew" for 5 mins and then put the milk in first to the cups, and then say "Who wants to be Mother?" = (who wants to pour) if you pour it, into the cups and there are bubbles in the center of the cup it means "you are going to come into money"... according to Nanna Baumont-Montpellier

PS

use bone china tea ware, NO MUGS!!!
2286180421_1a4b54f93d_m.jpg

Heatmaster teapot C 1940 built in felt lined chrome cozy to keep tea hot

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
I used to only drink strong tea (picture 2 tea bags steeped for 5 mins), with full cream milk and 2 sugars...
then I changed to skim milk and 1 sugar....
then I changed to black tea....
then I changed to green tea...
now I only drink white herbal tea, usually infused with some mild flavour such as raspberry or vanilla, we buy the tea mix and brew it in an infuse ball thingy after letting the boiled kettle cool for 3-5 mintues, the tea steeps for about 5-7 minutes before being drunk

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Tea

Following the previous thread on coffee, I thought that I would follow up by venturing forth one on tea.

I find that in any crisis, the first urge I have is to make tea for people, I can't help it! To me, it is a great comforter both in the act of making and the act of drinking and it has tided me through many difficult times!

What is your favourte type of tea and how do you like to take it? Do you like different tea in the morning to the tea you take in the afternoon or do you prefer an all round blend? Loose leaf or bags? Milk or lemon? Sugar? And perhaps the most contentions subject of all... Do you prefer your milk in first or last!?

I prefer to use loose leaf tea and a pot and I am very fond of a good English breakfast tea in the morning, my favourite blend is the one provided by Fortnum and Mason. Later in the day I like a nice Ceylon or Darjeeling. I am a terrible philistine and like my tea very sweet with two sugars and prefer the milk added to the cup before the tea.

There's nothing in the world like a good cup of tea!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
im on my way round for a "brew"....:eusa_clap
my favs breakfast tea....or "builders" tea...strong sweet and hot!, but also dont mind the odd cup of earl grey (no ilk or sugar but a little honey!) and fruit teas.
i do like using loose tea, have memories of dad with his metal tea pot that he used to keeep constantly topped u andjust reboil..."stewing" sometimes a great cup ather times horrible....like the old british "greasy spoons" tea!
i did a "lesson" on making the perfect cuppa as part of teacher trainin and found this lnk.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3016342.stm

when i was in the army..soon found out that the british army at least wont function without a cuppa!....used to make me laugh as everytime we went anywhere...flask/thermos cup was always in hand!!:eusa_doh:

LordBest

Practically Family
Tea is without doubt the sovereign beverage. Personally I like a good Darjeeling before luncheon, Earl Grey in the afternoon and Lapsang Souchong in the evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24