Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get new a very heavy weight wool overcoat?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Where can I find a wool overcoat that has the thickness, weight, and warmth of the old heavy peacoats? I am considering having a custom overcoat cut from peacoat type wool, but Id like some other options. Because of my size (50 - 52) vintage really isnt an option for me.

Does anyone make overcoats like these anymore? Ive seen some offering 14oz wool coats, but Im looking more along the lines of 32oz or heavier.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
Where can I find a wool overcoat that has the thickness, weight, and warmth of the old heavy peacoats? I am considering having a custom overcoat cut from peacoat type wool, but Id like some other options. Because of my size (50 - 52) vintage really isnt an option for me.

Does anyone make overcoats like these anymore? Ive seen some offering 14oz wool coats, but Im looking more along the lines of 32oz or heavier.

Consider custom/bespoke first. If you can't get something made at a price you can afford, then you can start compromising.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Consider custom/bespoke first. If you can't get something made at a price you can afford, then you can start compromising.

I currently have one company offering pretty much what I want custom made at $650 - $750 depending on the options. I wanted to get some other ideas, but I am not familiar with any companies that produce overcoats (even custom made overcoats) at the weights I am interested in.

I would appreciate the names of manufacturers if you have any.

JLStorm

Practically Family

JLStorm

Practically Family
Josephine said:
Have you emailed him? He might be able to work with you.

No, I havent, but I read a recent post of his stating that he couldnt get heavier wool due to the amount that had to be ordered. I didnt bother to ask him due to this post. I guess it wouldnt hurt to shoot off an email though.

Bingles

A-List Customer
I was looking for the same type of coat. Two years ago I bought a Navy Bridge Officer's coat from ebay. It was the warmest thing I ever wore!! I got so many compliments on it. It even had a removable lining.. and is made out of the same weight wool as a pea coat. The only difference between that coat (which only comes in black) and the styles I have seen online (such as Magnoli) is that the buttons are the gold uniform buttons. I liked them, but you could easily switch them out with plain black or silver.

Just a thought.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Bingles said:
I was looking for the same type of coat. Two years ago I bought a Navy Bridge Officer's coat from ebay. It was the warmest thing I ever wore!! I got so many compliments on it. It even had a removable lining.. and is made out of the same weight wool as a pea coat. The only difference between that coat (which only comes in black) and the styles I have seen online (such as Magnoli) is that the buttons are the gold uniform buttons. I liked them, but you could easily switch them out with plain black or silver.

Just a thought.

How heavy is the coat in pounds? Does it protect against wind?

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
Wow...that is a nice heavy coat..it if is indead 3kg / 9.6 pounds. I wonder how long it is...any idea???

Unfortunately I think you will find that 3kg is actually 6.6lbs., not 9.6lbs. (the conversion is 1kg = 2.2lbs). I recently ordered a Greek army wool greatcoat from Military Supply House in California in size 50 to go over a suit. It is quite long and very warm. The wool is extremely thick (I would estimate in the 30-something oz. vacinity) mine weights 8 lbs. I have been wearing it to walk the mile to work and home again with the temperatures in the -30 degree range this week and been quite warm. The man at MSH did say that he had several bales of these Greek greatcoats when I bought mine about a month ago. The price was also very reasonable.

Regards,

de Stokesay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo