Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Classic movie character inspires you most?

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
For instance, is it Sam Spade from the Maltese Falcon, Richard Blaine from Casablanca, you get the idea. As for me I would have to say Nick Charles from the Thinman, his combination of charm, humor and street smarts are for me worth striving for. Although the characters of Peter Warne in It Happend One Night and Mike Conner in The Philidelphia Story come in a close second and third.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Clara Bow in "It" (1927)

The quintessencial flapper of the liberated youth of Prohibition-Era America :D acting in the definitive Jazz Age romantic comedy. :eusa_clap

Doh!

One Too Many
Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life. Who wouldn't want all that money and power?

(Serious answer: George Bailey. Although to this day I find it hard to believe that NOBODY else in town would've dated Mary if George didn't exist; Donna Reed was adorable.)

moustache

Practically Family
Mine is more British oriented: Siegried Farnon(Robert Hardy) of "All Creatures Great and Small" tv series fame.I have always admired the British country gentleman.
Hercule Poirot and Hastings.(Tv version)

JD

Dagwood

Practically Family
Gary Cooper as Seargant York in Seargant York.

Fred Astaire as Vernon Castle in The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.

Jimmy Stewart as Senator Smith in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Characters that stirred my soul....and therefore inspired...

Bette Davis - Character: Charlotte Vale ~ Movie: Now, Voyager

Vivien Leigh ~ Character: Blanche DuBois ~ Movie: A Streetcar Named Desire

Audrey Hepburn ~ Character: Sister Luke ~ Movie: The Nun's Story
Character: Princess Ann ~ Movie: Roman Holiday

I'll have to think about this further...there have been plenty...

Rafter

Suspended
Bogie's "Roy Earle" from "High Sierra" is a complex creature - a gangster and a killer, yet also a sympathetic character with a sensitive, loving, and compassionate side.

As Earle, Bogart was expanding on the criminal characterization he had already mastered in a dozen earlier films, giving it greater depth by adding contrasting elements of warmth and compassion to compensate the dominant violence...

Bogart helps a clubfooted girl, Velma (Joan Leslie), who repays him only with disregard and indifference...

Here, for the first time, was the human being outside society's laws who had his own private sense of loyalty, integrity, and honor... Bogart's performance turns "High Sierra" into an elegiac film...

0015-0700.jpg

FYI- This film is also interesting in that it's a bridge between the gangster movies that were so popular in the Great Depression, and the Film Noir that was really taking off by the mid-forties.

Sunny

One Too Many
I've always been inspired by Grace Kelly as Lisa Fremont in Rear Window. Her poise and queenly bearing are timeless, existing independently of the 1950s style. I've unconsciously imitated her for years. Once a college friend remarked on how (for lack of better words) "ladylike" I always was. Immediately everyone else agreed completely, and I was completely surprised. I thought I was being loose and casual with them. That's an inspiration that's been so internalized It's really part of me.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm haveing a bit of trouble deciding which Classic movie character most inspired me however, I can easily say that I have always been inspired to find my "Grace Kelly" after To Catch a Thief and Rear Window.[angel]

Sunny said:
I've always been inspired by Grace Kelly as Lisa Fremont in Rear Window. Her poise and queenly bearing are timeless, existing independently of the 1950s style. I've unconsciously imitated her for years. Once a college friend remarked on how (for lack of better words) "ladylike" I always was. Immediately everyone else agreed completely, and I was completely surprised. I thought I was being loose and casual with them. That's an inspiration that's been so internalized It's really part of me.

Sunny

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
I'm haveing a bit of trouble deciding which Classic movie character most inspired me however, I can easily say that I have always been inspired to find my "Grace Kelly" after To Catch a Thief and Rear Window.[angel]

:eusa_clap ;)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I loved watching Bette Davis as Margot Channing in All About Eve.

Her sassiness and feisty sense of humor really made me feel better about myself! I feel that I act very similar to her sometimes (I'm a drama queen), and seeing someone with those qualities as a strong woman who is loved despite all of her flaws put me at ease!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran