Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I dunno, they may be more accepting on the coasts
I think that NYC is the only city in America where one can dress to the nines or wear grunge without anyone giving a flying fruck. Anywhere else, there'll be some folks staring at the guy in the suit.

Maybe this is a bit different, it does seem to be a similar idea behind that, but at the risk of being ridiculous, I was initially into the fedora style of hat because of it's gangster, tough guy associations. The Mafia, and all... Of course, the detectives and lawmen assigned to bring them behind bars were just as cool, too. It helped that I'm a huge fan of The Godfather series of films.

At least they were well dress thugs -people today dress like its meth lab rednecks, Mad Max and Outlaw biker biker gangs or like they just rolled out of bed. Not one them owns a tie.

Effingham

A-List Customer
It was the seventies that was the worst for style.

Need evidence?

2007_06_19unisex-509x1024.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Actually, I'd rather put up with a few kooky 70s outfits than be inundated with the ubiqutous t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops look.......

article-0-09397029000005DC-41_224x527.jpg

Last edited:

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Actually, I'd rather put up with a few kooky 70s outfits than be inundated with the ubiqutous t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops look.......

article-0-09397029000005DC-41_224x527.jpg

I see this crap every day. I'm awash in a sea of cargo shorts and filpity flops. I even see grown men in flip flops at the clubs. :eusa_doh:

Back on topic...The 70's were the worst. I don't think you can understand unless somewhere there is a pic of you in a plaid polyester suit with matching blue turtle kneck swathed in a sea of Hai Karate. (My brother had the same matching outfit)

What do people carry in those pockets, anyway? Every man I see wearing them has big heavy lumps in the pockets that make me think he either has huge cysts on his legs or he's just been shoplifting grapefruit.

They do come in handy for carrying an extra grenade or two. (or shoplifting grapefruit) lol

Cargo pockets were inspired by combat uniforms. Its origin can be traced to the M42 jump suit worn by paratroopers during World War II which evolved into the Vietnam era jungle fatigue uniform and eventually the modern BDU (Battle Dress Uniform).

Last edited:

subject101

One of the Regulars
Its origin can be traced to the M42 jump suit worn by paratroopers during World War II which evolved into the Vietnam era jungle fatigue uniform and eventually the modern BDU (Battle Dress Uniform).

I like classic cargo pants, specially the m-65 system, but those cargo shorts are :eusa_doh: However that guy looks better than any well dressed 70s man.

Back on topic...The 70's were the worst. I don't think you can understand unless somewhere there is a pic of you in a plaid polyester suit with matching blue turtle kneck swathed in a sea of Hai Karate. (My brother had the same matching outfit)

Oh geez, thanks for reminding me.:eusa_doh: That Hai Karate stuff smelled like melted plastic. PU! Not only were the sights bad but the smells. :eusa_doh:
It is ture that you can't understand it if you weren't there. They might have been wearing a suit or more "dressy clothes" but it was hideous! The colors were ugly, the ties were huge AND ugly. Even the shirts and shoes were ugly---come on, two tone green or yellow patent loafers? :eek::eek::eek:
At least now they just look stupid---not stupid AND ugly. The designers now at least work with material that wasn't woven at nuclear power plants---under the waste water.

But as someone mentioned a thousand posts back. In the 1970's there still was a sense of dressing up for certain occasions which gets points as opposed to the decline to now where people want to dress like teens into their 60's, wear pajama bottoms to the store and have never worn a tie in their life.

Slouching towards Gomorrah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner