Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I posted this thread on another forum, The Fedora Chronicles, a week ago on the first of January, but I would like to pose the same question here as well.

In terms of style/fashion, what do you believe to be the worst decade within the last hundred or so years? Now with the 2000s at an end, and the beginning of the 2010s near, I thought this would be a perfect time to ask. For me, well, though I was born at the end of the '80s (1989), the styles that were popular with most of the youth or young adults at the time, simply didn't appeal to me (big hair, mullets, punk, grunge, wild colors, etc...). In my opinion, things got a little more "normal," or conservative by the 1990s, but maybe that was my area, or it was just the people I went to see most often... The 1970s, while it had it's charms, hasn't aged well either to this day. It looks undeniably dated, and shares some of the aspects that I have mentioned for the 1980s. I guess the same could be said for the late '60s too, but that was only a portion of the decade. I'm actually pretty fond of early '60s styles. Just my opinions, no offenses meant.

As I've said above, the 1980s (followed closely by 1970s) were probably the worst, in my opinion. Really, it's all according to personal taste...

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum for this topic.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
And the 1990s would have been third place for me, after the 1970s (I am pretty fond of sideburns, however, but more in the '50s style than '60s or '70s)... The grunge look was very prevalent around where I lived when I was a kid, if I remember...

UmmBatul

New in Town
Just about every decade from 1970 on holds no interest for me. I think they all have examples of awful "style".

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I think it really has to be the 1970's. Just cringeworthy.
old-ad-70s.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Binkie's nailed it - the 90s. I think everything's been sliding down hill from casual to crap, to the point where the vast majority walk around looking like total slobs. People in flip-flops and wearing Lycra and Spandex who should know better (just because it DOES stretch doesn't mean it should always been stretched to the max). I believe the 90s, perhaps the late 80s were the start of "casual Fridays" which has expanded into "sloppy everyday." The prewashed jeans craze has now spread all pants, shirts and the like, to the point that finding "brand new" items that look new and fresh is almost impossible. So many things look old and worn...and usually cost MORE preworn than their unworn, unwashed versions.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The 1980s, which seemed to extend into the early '90s gets my vote.

The '80s managed to make men look like wimps and women to look like The Golden Girls. Shoulder pads, fried, frosted hair, stirrup pants, headbands, smocks and worse. One of the few decades where both men and women's fashions were equally awful.

The '70s get a bad rap and there were some truly awful fashions and helmetty hair, but I've seen enough magazines, movies, TV shows, and personal family albums to determine that most people didn't dress like our stereotypical image of that decade. Men's fashions in the '70s come off worse than women's fashions.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I nominate the 2000s for the following reasons:

The three most popular colors of the era were black, black and black.
Pant widths were all over the place, but the most popular length was dragging the ground.
The comb: what's that?
Jelly bellies and muffin tops should be breakfast foods, not fashion statements.
Fashions like tight camisoles, low-slung pants, sandals, going without stockings, and straight, flat hair require a lot of maintenance to look good. But nobody wanted to do the maintenance.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I second your nomination, Paisley. The first decade of this century has been nothing but a stale rehash of a rehash of '60s-'70s-'80s styles. The colors are either blah or overdone, the cuts are neither becoming nor new, and the overall impression given is that we're in decline.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shangas said:
Anything from about the 1970s onwards.

And yet, it was thanks to the 1980s and '90s that we had a pretty accurate, upscale revival of '30s-'50s menswear. (Think rayon camp shirts, the return of 100% linen and cotton fabrics, Hollywood waist trousers with pleats, double-breasted suits, good captoe and wingtip shoes, etc.)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Marc,

That may be the case, but there are elements of 80s and 90s and 00s fashion & style (and 70s) that I just can't stand. The use for denim in stuff other than jeans, for example. Denim jackets, denim shorts, "designer" jeans *shudders*, super-tight, crotch-crushing pants, low-riders, saggers...uuugh. Add to that insane, acid-trip hairstyles and piercings, button-down shirts hanging out and T-shirts with crude logos and cheap slogans on them. Ripped everything - ripped shirts, ripped jeans, ripped jackets...since when did it become fashionable to go around looking like a homeless bum or some careless slob who can't look after his own wardrobe?

...Why can't the three-piecer come back into fashion and STAY there...Seeing the stuff that most people of my generation wears these days makes me want to go into hiding from shame.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
UmmBatul said:
Just about every decade from 1970 on holds no interest for me. I think they all have examples of awful "style".

100% in agreement, but if pressed for a number, it would have to be the 80's - ick!

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
The 80's! Watch the movies "Breakin" and "The Last Dragon" or any music video. Looks like people lived in dumpsters! Also exercise clothing was swimsuits on spandex catsuits! Fingerless gloves for a walk in the park, why?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
.The first decade of this century has been nothing but a stale rehash of a rehash of '60s-'70s-'80s styles..
What's wrong with 60s style? Personally it's not my favourite decade but I do still like the more conservative styles that were around (i.e. James Bond rather than the Beatles). While I'm not a huge fan of stingy brimmed hats and narrow-lapelled suits, I still think they look good.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Whenever sagging started.

Oversized clothing worn down around crotch level with 6 inches of underwear pant showing.

barfsmiley.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varnu