Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Even Sinatra wore one.

[video=youtube;4Aq_WewKtrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aq_WewKtrg[/video]

It was just a horrible time to live through out here. The hippies screwed up the fashions ever since then---we are even talking the avocado kitchen appliances, shag rugs and ugly colors for everything from suits to cars. It was a drug induced era. :eusa_doh:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't know.

The boxy women's clothing and the pushed down sock tops were bad. Maybe the 80s?

Grunge was pretty bad. Maybe the 90s?

The pants with the words on the butt are bad too. Maybe the 00s?

Take your pick.

Hey hey hey now, easy on the avocado. You're hurting my Avocado Kitchen with Matching Appliances' feelings. And my Avocado 1979 Buick.....

It was just a horrible time to live through out here. The hippies screwed up the fashions ever since then---we are even talking the avocado kitchen appliances, shag rugs and ugly colors for everything from suits to cars. It was a drug induced era. :eusa_doh:

subject101

One of the Regulars

I agree! 1970 decade was a nightmare come true. Not only everything did look disgusting but you had to dress like a clown. I specially dislike elephant pants, oversized 'bib' ties and oversized collars in shirts and jackets. Not to mention a 1970s tuxedo :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
As I mentioned before in this thread, there were more gents wearing the classic American look (Brooks Bros, J.Press, Paul Stuart, Oxxford, etc,...) in the 70's than there are now. That to me is a better indicator of style than to point out the poor choices of the fashion forward minority. And even if you didn't care for the cut/fabric of their suit, at least they were wearing one.
I think this is a great point. Subjective feelings about "taste" aside, at least people wore outfits for occasions pre-2010. I have no serious issues with youth styles, cargo shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, etc. People should at the very least have an understanding of when to wear such outfits. There is a difference in what is appropriate for a wedding, the gym, a funeral, your job, working under a car, and a baseball game.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
There is a difference in what is appropriate for a wedding, the gym, a funeral, your job, working under a car, and a baseball game.

And that really strikes at the heart of the matter. Throughout modern western history, there has been at least a general idea of what to wear under different circumstances, that is, what was considered proper. The idea was that when you moved about in public, you dressed as to project a better image of yourself. Even among poorer folk, there was the concept of "Sunday go to meeting" clothes, nice attire that one would set apart for special occasions. Even when I was a young boy, I wore "dress" clothing to school, and then changed into play clothes when I got home. When you can now look at a man dressed in shorts, sandals, and t-shirt, and not know if he is going to work, a funeral, or the gym...something is very wrong.

I agree! 1970 decade was a nightmare come true. Not only everything did look disgusting but you had to dress like a clown. I specially dislike elephant pants, oversized 'bib' ties and oversized collars in shirts and jackets. Not to mention a 1970s tuxedo :eusa_doh:

Oh geez! The horror of the 1970s tuxedo in every horrible color known to man except black.:eusa_doh::eek::eek::eek:
Elephant bells! Oh geez they were horrible!:(
The loooooonnnnggg collars were just ridiculous too. :eusa_doh:

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Oh geez! The horror of the 1970s tuxedo in every horrible color known to man except black.:eusa_doh::eek::eek::eek:
Elephant bells! Oh geez they were horrible!:(
The loooooonnnnggg collars were just ridiculous too. :eusa_doh:

1970sm32.jpg

You mean to say this doesn't tickle your fancy? :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot