Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which leather jacket for desert climate?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did not say that i think a leather jacket would be reasonable ;) just that i miss leather jackets
Last week I bought a jacket from Terry Mitchell (pictures are in the Classifieds under "Vintage Leather Jackets). I'd always looked down my nose at lambskin (it may very well be capeskin), but this thing's from the late-forties, I'm guessing, and is as light as a feather, besides having nice graining and being done in a very cool, HWM style. I won't be able to wear it all year, but it will extend my jacket-wearing time by several months. BTW, deserts aren't always hot: I drove through New Mexico and West Texas some time ago in the winter and it was really chilly.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An Indy is what I thought of too. mine is a Wested Raiders, in goat. I've worn it in 22 Celsius or thereabouts - that was in Dehli, in February 2013. It was a bit on the hot side for me, but it was the one jacket I had with me with a secure, zip pocket, and I'm always wary of where my wallet is in any crowded place, no matter where I am in the world.

625601_10151323876652260_181299680_n.jpg

561251_10151323877257260_1924506294_n.jpg

I was looking for a warmer weather jacket when I stumbled on this on eBay. It's a lighter goat than the Aero goat, without having the fragility that has always made me wary of lamb. It's sruvived quite a lot of long haul flying with me too. Can't go wrong, even at the new price, though if you can buy used they're a real bargain. Great design for warmer weather: no knits, lets it breathe. The one thing I would do differently if I bought another new would be I'd ask for cotton lining in the sleeves - the satiny stuff doesn't breathe, and that can get sticky.
Great photos, and kudos to you for having the cajones to wear that outfit! I was there during the same month some time ago and wore a cafe racer most of the time when I was in the north. In the day it was a bit warm, but nights were fine. BTW, isn't that an astonishing sight? Did you get a chance too see Fatepur Sikri?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Seb and I have both commented regarding the baggy, off-the-shoulders fit of the G&B Expedition jacket. At one time it was my go to lightweight jacket to grab from the closet although now tend to grab my Sheene instead. However the Expedition does have the cargo pockets same as the A-2 without the knits that would be more appropriate for warmer weather than the A-2. Good news for me is since G&B has discontinued the Expedition jacket, it is now a collectors item. :cool:

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I moved recently to a desert climate. I did not bring my aero horsehide nor my vanson, but i miss leather jacket. So, which leather jacket would you suggest for desert climate?
If I were reasonable, I would say no leather jacket at all. But this forum is not for reasonable people, isn't it? ;)
What is the normal high temperature and the normal low temperature where you are? Will you be wearing the jacket only at night, or in the daytime as well?

Edward

Bartender
Great photos, and kudos to you for having the cajones to wear that outfit! I was there during the same month some time ago and wore a cafe racer most of the time when I was in the north. In the day it was a bit warm, but nights were fine. BTW, isn't that an astonishing sight? Did you get a chance too see Fatepur Sikri?

Thanks, yeah... It's not often I wear a brimmed hat with that jacket, but I liked how the Capricorn worked with it. (Funnily enough, nobody has ever once picked up on it being an Indy jacket, but a USN type with a narrow-brimmed brown trilby once got an Indy comment... heh). Can't remember what trews I wore that day now.... I think they might have been British KD tropical pattern...

This was a work trip promoting the University: we landed in Mumbai Sunday night, Monday night we drove to Puna, Tuesday night we flew to Hyderabad, Wednesday night we flew to Dehli.... the working week ended on the Saturday afternoon, so my colleague and I decided to stay on til Monday. We managed to see a bit of old Dehli, the tombs, the Lotus Temple, then on the Sunday we went out to Agra and did the Taj and the Red Fort. Really something. I adored the Taj. On local advice, we'd gotten up at five to be there for nine am, which was worth it - there was still a scrum at the Diana Bench (I had my photo taken on that with my best "oh, poor me!" expression on, though sadly there wasn't time or space to fully imitate the original pose), but the whole thing wasn't unpleasantly overcrowded the way that it can get. I found India culturally more alien than pretty much anywhere else I've ever been (including China), but quite an experience. Really enjoyed seeing what I got to see of it; I might one day go back and do more of a tour.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cool this week but mild winter for us in N Texas. Temps in the low 70's by Saturday. My crystal ball tells me it will be cold and rainy where you are in Scotland all next week. :(

Yep, pretty much. Highs of 5C, lows of -1C. It'll start getting better from now on though. The days area beginning to draw out now - it's not dark til 6pm! *basks* Thankfully, I'm busy all week, so it doesn't matter, and in London Friday/Saturday, where it's almost double fugures!!

plainsman

Familiar Face
What is the normal high temperature and the normal low temperature where you are? Will you be wearing the jacket only at night, or in the daytime as well?
It will be for winter time: temperatures go from 10°C at night to 25°C during the day. The other seasons are too hot, with summer in the 30°C to 40°C.

UWEZ

New in Town
Here in Chile I used my midweight Cafe Racer in the Atacama desert. I also could imagine an Aero Sheene midweight, the Cafe Racer with the HWM collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy