Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of your jackets gets the most attention?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I'll do a Socratic seminar on vegetable tanned vs. chrome tanned leather. I will give them specific threads from this forum to read in preparation.

Then we'll move on to teacore vs. leather that is dyed all the way through.

After that, I'll teach a lesson on how modern reproductions came about and then we'll finish by covering the great debate of Japanese makers vs. the rest of the world: which is better?

Should make for a pretty good mini unit, especially given that I will be wearing primary sources every day.
I remember you....you were the cool teach!
With the leather jackets...and hats.
Teach for tomorrows.
B

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lately I wear denim jackets most time, perfectly blending in harmony with society, no comments, no raised eyebrows, no empty seats, just a normal human being in his denim jacket, sometime personally I feel giving off too much denimbro signal which I believe am not since I have no single spot of fades to show, doesn't wear feather pendant necklace, cuffed jeans and workboots

Last edited:

northcoast

Familiar Face
Which one gets the most. Well, tricky, depends on time factor.

My Ciano Farmer quilted denim work coat has gotten a ton.

My natural HH Wayfarer has gotten very strong positive opinions. It's a cool jacket, but I think because it fits so well, that helps too, and the color is different than most.

My favorite though is my NMWA/Monitaly Brown cord ranch "Jhonny Brasco" jacket. Love that thing.

1_5a9bb0e6-36e1-452c-9db5-6c40b4a624a2_900x.jpg

Aero_Wayfarer_Natural_Vicenza_Horsehide_38_front.jpg

https://nomanwalksalone.tumblr.com/...he-road-photos-by-ian-lipton-in-collaboration

tumblr_nxpkk3Ahcd1sby8suo3_1280.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I wore almost exclusively my first Eastman Luftwaffe in the early 90's I was the ONLY one I ever saw !

Wore it to work with shirt and tie ( pleated dress pants/trousers )

AND at the weekend with 501's and Lucchese roper western boots. Jacket was a "chick magnet" to the max

( the older I get the better I was haha...self deprecating humour ( sorry humor !)

To quote Nic Cage in the 1990 movie "Wild at Heart"...

Sailor: Did I ever tell ya that this here jacket represents a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom?

AND to ride my then motorcycle ( before my exclusively Harley days of the last 23 years )

Indeed it was the "Hayzoos" of cool. Two of my friends subsequently bought the EXACT same jacket, same size !

HOWEVER as I never had mine off my back they would only wear theirs when I was not there haha..( I kid you not !)

Now it's obviously old and "beat up" but I still wore it one day last week , occasionally do.

Most recently it has been my Schott HH café racer , as shiny as a shiny thing , gets a few comments.

I never usually make comments like this but being British this makes me loose all sense.
Historically I do not believe there is such a thing as a Café racer, not by the London boys that met at the Ace or Busy Bee. It has and always will be pronounced Kafff racer with a heavy emphasis on the 'K' sound and also the 'FFF' with no é at the end. I do believe that that awful TV show of Mike Seat is trying to establish to change British history of young peoples ideals to America's own.Please do not think of this as an insult to your post, but if we the British can use American terms to describe Americas culture such as hot rod and custom cars etc, why not accept ours for our culture.
As applied to jackets, who made the first jacket to be called a Cafe racer style? It may have even been Aero as there's was the first I saw even though most Rockers I knew from the 1960s to 70, the vast majority wore the Lancer style with the cross over zip.
Oh yes nearly forgot.
I also have an Early ish Luftwaffe jacket and wear it exclusively while riding my Triumph Bonneville. It's a really nice design but mine has zip pockets all over. If it has faults it is that it creaks like Dracula getting out of his coffin unless I oil it up in some form.
Seeya, John.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never usually make comments like this but being British this makes me loose all sense.
Historically I do not believe there is such a thing as a Café racer, not by the London boys that met at the Ace or Busy Bee. It has and always will be pronounced Kafff racer with a heavy emphasis on the 'K' sound and also the 'FFF' with no é at the end. I do believe that that awful TV show of Mike Seat is trying to establish to change British history of young peoples ideals to America's own.Please do not think of this as an insult to your post, but if we the British can use American terms to describe Americas culture such as hot rod and custom cars etc, why not accept ours for our culture.
As applied to jackets, who made the first jacket to be called a Cafe racer style? It may have even been Aero as there's was the first I saw even though most Rockers I knew from the 1960s to 70, the vast majority wore the Lancer style with the cross over zip.
Oh yes nearly forgot.
I also have an Early ish Luftwaffe jacket and wear it exclusively while riding my Triumph Bonneville. It's a really nice design but mine has zip pockets all over. If it has faults it is that it creaks like Dracula getting out of his coffin unless I oil it up in some form.
Seeya, John.
Interesting. Isn't that style called single rider or racer before Aero or Schott tried to link them to Kafff racer? Anyhow, that is the name given by Schott and Aero to one particular model.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
DSC_0541.JPG

Since I really do not have any Cross Zips at this current time, the Navy CXL FQHH Premier fit Highwayman takes the cake on attention. The name alone (if people actually knew all that) would indeed draw some attention. But it's really become my favorite jacket and is so darn comfortable as this FQHH breaks in...

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Strewth mate since Londinium became colonised by folks from the old "Empire" there are more Poms here now than in Londinium itself ! There is even a scooter club complete with parkas and 200 mirrors each ! I meet them on my Harley rides on occasion. Scooter club is 100% "Pommy" and me and my "Rocker" crew get on fine with them. Most all of my Harley riding mates are "Poms". I myself am a long since departed Scotsman !

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Oh yes nearly forgot.
Seeya, John.

The first cafe racer style I saw was from the 1920's. They were mandarin collar style leather shirts. Still called shirts by some in the 1970's. Early jackets did not have lining.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So this is Not My Jacket - I confess I could not seem to dig up our old thread on "nightmare" jackets. This probably belongs there. It's from a Minneapolis Craigslist ad -- Python Jacket. $1200!!!

Python_01.PNG
Python_02.PNG
Python_03 RIRI.PNG

Currently lsited in Minnneapolis Craigslist, if anyone is interested. There do not appear to be tags, but the zippers indicate RIRI

Never know what you may find out there.... :)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So this is Not My Jacket - I confess I could not seem to dig up our old thread on "nightmare" jackets. This probably belongs there. It's from a Minneapolis Craigslist ad -- Python Jacket. $1200!!!

View attachment 222643 View attachment 222644 View attachment 222645

Currently lsited in Minnneapolis Craigslist, if anyone is interested. There do not appear to be tags, but the zippers indicate RIRI

I am no expert, but it seems to be well made. It is supposed to be a bit of a different skill-set compared to the leathers we favour here.

Not bad, actually! Would wear.

Agent Black

New in Town
My jackets that get the most attention are this mystery blue jacket with no brand name. It looks exactly like the 1980's metal tagged "Lewis Leathers" Mistral[?] but with red and black stripes on it's tag.
Mystery jacket 2.JPG

My Dobbs blue, white and red jacket, which looks like a Dainese Imatra at first glance [Note the similar typeface].
Dobbs front.JPG

dpbbs back.JPG

And my 1970's Lewis Leathers Sportsman
lewis leathers sportsman front.JPG

I brought this for £40 from Afleck's Palace in Manchester in 2000 and have had two people offering to buy it from me. I eventually contacted Derek Harris at Lewis who confirmed that it was a Sportsman jacket [At that time it wasn't in their online catalogue, although it is now]. Black leather jackets seem more common than ever now, so I think coloured leathers stand out from that and attract more attention. I usually get complements in the pub, when I rode a bike the complements were about the bike not the leathers which is logical. I've only ever had one leather jacket that's attracted negativity- one girlfriend hated it, although a lad who was a mate at the time offered to buy that one from me so...

Attachments

• Mystery jacket 2.JPG
    Mystery jacket 2.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,013

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Well all right! Matches my black python cowboy boots.
Now...if only i could find those python pants......nahh
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ