Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
If you read The American Hatter or the Hat Life from 1936 you will find out that the Hat trade was battling hatless heads a long time ago. Sad but true hatless Jack did not kill the fedora in daily wear is was a trend that had be going on for years decades even.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
An FDR-esque photo of President Lyndon Johnson holding his hat, campaigning in 1964:
post103164.jpg

Truman wearing one of his many hats:
peopleinglassestt7.jpg

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Is it possible that that's during the Alger Hiss case (the first photo)? I remember even in the flashback to the Hiss case in the movie Nixon, he is shown wearing a fedora.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible that that's during the Alger Hiss case (the first photo)? I remember even in the flashback to the Hiss case in the movie Nixon, he is shown wearing a fedora.
That would make more sense as the suits look as they wore back in '48 when Nixon was on the HUAC for the Hiss trial. Either way, it's a nice loking Panama :)

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Nixon circa 1948, all from the HUAC era:
huac3.gif

The young man wearing glasses and testifying in front of Congress is a young Ronald Reagan, in a very rare shot of him wearing glasses. For those who don't know, Reagan was literally almost blind. He could not even see a square in front of him. Hs vision was so impaired that when getting glasses, he was astonished to discover that butterflies and leaves on trees existed. However, by the end of the 1940s, he was wearing experimental contacts, given to him by Hollywood producers--But still wore glasses when not in movies because the early contacts were uncomfortable. But for the rest of his life he wore contacts. As President when giving a speech, he would wear one contact in and the other out--So that he could see the speech, and also his audience.

Nixon in Spokane, 1954
Spokane_OutsideSpokaneClub-AlCanwell-RichardNixon-1954.jpg

Vice President Nixon, and President Eisenhower, at Waldorf Towers, 1954
8b6503dd793300aaf2cbc80fd47febf0.jpg

Sometime between 1954 and 1960:
343_1.jpg

During the 1960 Campaign:
ACM-067-CT_F.JPG

If Nixon had been elected President in 1960, Hatters would probably not have to have begged him to wear or be seen with a hat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy