Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which religious group?

Which religion?

• Athiest/Agnostic/None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baptist

• Catholic

• Jewish

• Protestant

• Methodist

• Jehovah's Witness

• Mormon/Christ Scientist

• Islam

• Hindu/Buddist/Eastern

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Protestant...but I also tend to believe in nature and the great spirit.
And whenever I feel the need for it, I have a rosary around my neck.

I guesse my religion is a sort of mixture. A take-away-religion.

S

Samsa

Harp said:
Roman Catholic.

I am trying my best to refrain from jumping right into a friendly debate on the merits of the term Roman Catholic.....

Sunny

One Too Many
I got to a Bible church, a kind of non-denominational Protestant church. There are a number of them about, none officially affiliated, but they tend to be very close theologically. They're also very close to the [Southern] Baptists theologically, but I voted as "Protestant" since that's a better description than a particular denomination.

I hold to the basic truths of historic Christianity; the inerrant and infallible Word of God; the creation and fall of man; the Trinity; the deity and virgin birth of Jesus Christ; substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension, personal and imminent return of Jesus Christ; the regeneration of believers; bodily resurrection and final judgment of all men and women; and a literal heaven and hell.

;)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Baptist, though I also consider myself a Protestant and I'm confused as to why they're separate categories in the poll. Historically, we're pretty close to Presbyterians and Anglicans, the other two major ecclesiastical groups to come out of the English Reformation. Theologically, pretty much what Sunny just said, with the added Reformation distinctives of salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'm a Baptist, but no longer care for the Southern Baptist Convention. They have gotten too "liberal" (that's right) and too far away from Biblical teaching. Most other denominations are in even worse shape. The country (and world) as a whole is in pretty sad shape. It's sad to see how flippantly people treat the Creator of the Universe.:(

Lutherans are THE Protestants....The Missouri Synod is the major conservative Lutheran church in America..."real" Lutherans.;)

Staggerly

New in Town
I'm curious about why Baptist isn't in the Protestant sub-group, too. I could understand if we were talking Southern Baptist, seeing as it's evolved (d'oh!) into its own unique creature, but I think plain old Baptists consider themselves pretty mainstream. But then I'm a Johnny-come-lately who can't vote in the poll anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter lol

(I'm a Southern Baptist on the books, but philosophically I'm closer to Methodist or Buddhist. It makes for very interesting picnics!)

Amelie

A-List Customer
LaMedicine said:
Will this do?

The Earth is my altar,
The sky is my dome,
My heart is full of glory,
For my trust shall never falter,
My faith shall never roam,
My hopes ever for joy and peace,
My heart full of love never cease.

This is beautiful :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One day, President Lincoln was being driven by a carriage driver who cursed repeatedly at the horses, the streets, the weather. Finally, Lincoln asked, "Pardon me, but are you an Episcopalian?"

Somewhat surprised, the driver replied, "No, Sir. Why do you ask?"

"Because Governor Seward* is Episcopalian, and he swears just like that!"

*William Henry Seward, Governor of New York, Secretary of State in the Lincoln Administration. Lincoln beat Seward, the clear frontrunner, for the Republican nomination in 1860, then brought him into his cabinet. Later, Seward was responsible for the purchase of the Alaska territory from the Tsar --- known at the time as "Seward's Folly."

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
why is mormon and christ scientist toghether? they have absolutely no link whatsoever. what is a christ scientist anyway? i'm mormon but i am not checking the box due to inaccuracies.

I wondered why Atheist and Agnostic were together. Clearly the beliefs are different: one denies the existence of God and the other says it can neither be proved or disproved.

I'd actually like to start my own religion. It would be something like 99% Catholicism, 99% Judaism, and 100% Voodoo.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ