Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which religious group?

Which religion?

• Athiest/Agnostic/None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baptist

• Catholic

• Jewish

• Protestant

• Methodist

• Jehovah's Witness

• Mormon/Christ Scientist

• Islam

• Hindu/Buddist/Eastern

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Whoa. This is getting to be too convoluted. My head hurts trying to get around that one. :p If you were, say a Catholic, and believe you can't know if God exists then you are in the wrong place. ;) :D
If you don't think you can prove He exists then there is where faith comes in. ;)

Regards,

J

Haha ok, well obviously I don't know anything about Catholicism! Withdrawn!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
To me, an ex-Conservative Catholic, and the product of many Catholic convent schools, it's not up to non-believers to prove that God doesn't exist, but rather up to believers to prove that he does.

A line from the movie Song of Bernadette goes something like this; "to a true believer he needs no explanation, and to the non-believer no explanation will suffice".

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
In the last month or so, I read an article in the newspaper that stated scientists have found what one writer called "the god gene," i.e. that many of us are hardwired to have religious faith, others lack that gene.

Has anyone read anything about that?

At least that would explain to me why I have always been on the other side of that thin line of faith. (Someone asked me once what I would do if Jesus suddenly stood in front of me and I said, "probably turn myself in to Community Mental Health.")

karol

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Lee Lynch said:
I usually do not discuss my faith out of concern for being lumped in with the neo-pagan croud, which I am not...

Don't blame you but we neo-pagans are a pretty nice bunch. Just watch out for the robe wearing/athame carrying types. They can be a bit odd. ;)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Grnidwitch said:
Don't blame you but we neo-pagans are a pretty nice bunch. Just watch out for the robe wearing/athame carrying types. They can be a bit odd. ;)

Count me in the "avoiding the neo pagan title, but not the neo pagans themselves unless they wear their athames and brandish their robes in the streets...or something like that" group. :p

--Leslie

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
I don't believe a creator would allow so many bad things to happen in the world. Unless the creator didn't love us. I simply can't believe that.

patrick1987 said:
I don't believe a creator would allow so many bad things to happen in the world. Unless the creator didn't love us. I simply can't believe that.

Ah, I see. I think you have omnipresent confused with omnipotent. It is best incapsulated by the phrase God sees the truth but waits.
God is not responsible for the bad things that happen. The people here are.

Regards,

J

Baron Kurtz said:
Not if there's a creator . . . If it is possible for a supernatural entity to do *anything* to affect the course of happenings - such as is often claimed for supposedly God-perpetauted positive happenings - free will is compromised.

Hence i reject God and (sort-of) accept free will.

bk

Obviously you never heard of restraint. :p
This is all off topic though. [huh]

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy