Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which repro A2s do you currently own?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know some members, including me, have been buying and selling repro A2s this year. Which ones do you currently own and do you have a favourite?

Here are my repros and my favourites vary according my mood!:

ELC 1933 Werber
020-31-2.jpg

GW 1939 Werber
003-57.jpg

GW RW 18091

001-53.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Andrew,

Here are my favourite repro A-2s:

New (bought in 2010): ELC Monarch w/ internal pockets (currently being broken in)...
frontlaidflat.jpg

Bought about a year ago: Goodwear's Bronco in goatskin
GWBroncoFrontLaid.jpg

Bought a couple of years ago: ELC Cable in goatskin
ELCCableFrontLaid.jpg

There is also the Aero Anniversary in seal HH from a couple of years ago, but I haven't got a picture of it...

B.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
'Just' my GW Dubow 27798 in

russet goatskin. It is a little over two years old now, still barely broken in. I get compliments on it every time I wear it, even from people who normally have no interest in leather jackets. I still marvel at it.

2983261180104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I was all gung ho for one of John's GW jackets a couple of years ago, but, alas, by the time I was able to put the money together the value of the pound had sunk to the point where a £400 jacket had become £600, which I just couldn't justify. Oh well, maybe one day in the future... Last December I fell in with a second hand ELC Rough Wear W535AC-27752. Year or two old, just nicely broken in. Horsehide, I believe, in Seal with Rust knits. I understand the colour of the knits on this jacket to have been a special order by the original owner; they're not the correct colour for this contract, but that doesn't bother me. I don't do a WW2 impression - I wear the jacket solely as a civilian - and seal/rust were the combo I was after (I had been making eyes at one of John's late war models, an Aero I think?, in this). I'm not a collector, but if funds allow in the future I could see me going for a nice russet A2, maybe an early war model repro, ideally a Goodwear. I'm tempted too by the idea of reproducing an AVG USN jacket, and an A2 for the fighter group they later evolved into. Thing is, I don't know how often I'd wear them: the anticipated Top Gun related comments would drive me mad as there are few films I loathe more or find as offensive as that Tom Cruise vehicle. :rolleyes: Maybe something to do with a cheaper repro bought used....

I do rather fancy either one of those Chinese(?) made repros that were spotted on eBay a while back (the Barry Lyndon models), if they're of decent quality; I also like the Aero 'Real Deal' model. Neither are the most accurate of replicas, but for a decent, mid-price jacket to be worn more as a forties civilian-style jacket than a uniform piece, they'd do the job nicely in my opinion. Actually, if ever I have the cash I'd be tempted to have Aero make me up a Real Deal with slash pockets (B-15 style) rather than the traditional A2 pockets, though I suppose then it wouldn't properly be an A2 any longer and thus not germane to this thread...

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I have one old Cockpit A2 *yucky* , one old Cooper AF issue goatskin*yucky*, one no name brand I got before HPA started selling the Eastmans and [huh], and 3 Eastman Roughwear jackets:eusa_clap. I would seriously love to have a GW:arated: but I just can't shake that many shekels off my shekel tree in the back yard. The GW would definitely be the centerpiece of the collection.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Silver Dollar said:
I would seriously love to have a GW:arated: but I just can't shake that many shekels off my shekel tree in the back yard. The GW would definitely be the centerpiece of the collection.

I would like to have a GW too, but it's just another A-2 I haven't picked up yet. I can't decide which one of my repro A-2s are my favorites; one of my 2 Seftons, my recently acquired Aero, or my ELC 'warhorse' hide. I currently own3 ELCs, 3 Aeros, and 2 Real McCoys A-2s, I also have 20 to 30 other orphan A-2s, which include many Avirex/ Coopers [huh], one of the Avirex jackets happens to be one of my favorite, 'don't care if it gets beat up' wearers. I like'm all...each has it's own personality.

Jacketcollection-1.jpg

Aero- well broken in by the previous owner :eusa_clap
Aero_04.jpg

Eastman 50 Cal. - well broken in by previous owner ;)
ELC50cal_02.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I just remembered I have a J.A. Dubow jacket made in the U.S. sometime in the late 80's. It was the first good repro A2 I was able to get. This was before HPA started selling Eastman jackets. It's a 42 but fits like a 40 and the leather was like a baseball glove when I first got it. It's still pretty stiff but looser.

CBI

One Too Many
I have owned a dozen Good Wears and probably 10 Eastmans and Aeros as well as others. Now, just this one Good Wear Aero A-2 is all that remains of my repros. I really love this one:

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

kiltie

Practically Family
^^^^^^^^^

Great jacket! Love the knits.
I also really like the Bronco in blethook's post.
Somewhere down the line, with more disposable income....

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
My Repro A2's

At the moment I am down to three Repro A2's of which my favourite two at the moment are -

Size 40 RMNZ Dubow

Dubow032.jpg

Dubow029.jpg

DUBOWRMNZ011.jpg

Dubow003.jpg

Dubow004.jpg

And my ELC Werber again in a size 40

Werberpictures006.jpg

Werber2pictures003.jpg

Werberpictures003.jpg

IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af307/alandaly/Werberpictures020.jpg[/IMG]

Werberpictures004.jpg

No Originals in my collection but would love to own a wearable good one.
Anyone got one for sale ?

Hope you likre the jackets

Alan

Lt GUSTL

New in Town
Servus from Vienna,

my favorite jacket is an ELC Monarch w. internal pockets.
I also attached an original RAF whitle to the collar.

kindest regards

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
too much coffee said:
Alan;
Thanks for posting the pictures. Outstanding jackets!
How old is the Dubow? Is the ELC horse or cow?
Sincerely, coffee

Hi
I bought the Werber at the beginning of the year.
It is their War horse leather and it keeps getting better.
I wear it every day two hours driving to work and two hours back and all day long when I can !!
I have given it a hot wash or two and constant manipulations twisting and turning.
Thanks for the liking the jackets.
Alan

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
PADDY said:
Taken earlier today.

I used to have a RW 27752 from ELC. I don't keep it cause I disliked it, but yours is incredible...
I have a werber 41 from GW that I love, but it's not japanese hide and the leather doesn't look as nice as yours. Congratulation... :)

bentusian

One of the Regulars
RW 23380 (Airborne ver.) by The Real McCoy's Japan
a-2bob2.jpg

RW 16159 by The Few Mfg.
DSC01951.jpg

w/ A-10 winter gloves

DSC01957.jpg

Both are size 40, but the 16159's roomy enough to wear a sweatshirt underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy