Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which RMC Buco jacket is this? [J24 content]

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

Pulled the trigger on my first J24-style jacket [unless you count the Lewis Leathers Bronx, which has similarities but is not a D-pocket]! Except...is it a J24?

Screenshot_20220427-145647_Gallery.jpg

It's my second Real McCoys jacket. I have only gotten to ever handle my first RMC, a Storm Rider. So for those of you who have seen many RMC Buco jackets, especially the J24 models, and / or have been to the stores, what model is this? Any thoughts on year, etc. would also be appreciated; I picked it up secondhand and am guessing it may be a Japan exclusive.

Instead of the two rear map pockets, it has these adjustable waistband ties, which I like the look of. Kinda like a Langlitz Columbia or CHP jacket.

Screenshot_20220427-145636_Gallery.jpg

Also has black lining. I wonder if it's a more recent release or something older?

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't know the designation but I do believe this is older. maybe as old as 2015, although your example here looks unworn, which is remarkable. I recall RMC did variations of the j-100 in the same way, with color added and making them look more like old Bates racing shirts. Two tone black and white is a bold look. I like it!

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
I don't know the designation but I do believe this is older. maybe as old as 2015, although your example here looks unworn, which is remarkable. I recall RMC did variations of the j-100 in the same way, with color added and making them look more like old Bates racing shirts. Two tone black and white is a bold look. I like it!

Thank you. I thought it might be an older run; some of the first Real McCoy's jackets I remember seeing were the two tone D-pocket models. 2010 would be pretty insane. I was wondering if there's any archive or something available for their offerings. I remember seeing the black and white J100 as well, but I prefer that blue and white for that model.

The white looks really nontraditional for the J24, but I think it's sharp -- kinda 'dresses up' the standard black model a bit. I wonder if the black sections will have a teacore effect as they wear in, which would be really cool, lightening up the whole jacket as it ages.

m84979074142_1.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. I thought it might be an older run; some of the first Real McCoy's jackets I remember seeing were the two tone D-pocket models. 2010 would be pretty insane. I was wondering if there's any archive or something available for their offerings. I remember seeing the black and white J100 as well, but I prefer that blue and white for that model.

The white looks really nontraditional for the J24, but I think it's sharp -- kinda 'dresses up' the standard black model a bit. I wonder if the black sections will have a teacore effect as they wear in, which would be really cool, lightening up the whole jacket as it ages.

m84979074142_1.jpg
I don't know about this specific RMC version but it is really cool. I like the side laces.

The black and white thing was common in the 40s ( i think it is the right decade but might be wrong), they used to do that on night riding jackets, there are a bunch of pics of them in the Rin Tanaka books.

Stuart from LW has an old Trojan like that, he calls it a "Night Rider", i don't know if the term is as old as the jackets.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Trojan_Night_Rider_Motorcycle_Jacket.htm

I have a LW J-23 with the "night rider" treatment, i like it a lot:

gqyXp86.jpg

HO6kEDM.jpg

Last edited:

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
I don't know about this specific RMC version but it is really cool. I like the side laces.

The black and white thing was common in the 40s ( i think it is the right decade but might be wrong), they used to do that on night riding jackets, there are a bunch of pics of them in the Rin Tanaka books.

Stuart from LW has an old Trojan like that, he calls it a "Night Rider", i don't know if the term is as old as the jackets.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Trojan_Night_Rider_Motorcycle_Jacket.htm

I have a LW J-23 with the "night rider" treatment, i like it a lot:

gqyXp86.jpg

HO6kEDM.jpg

This is really badass, Carlos. Thanks for posting those pics. I was secretly hoping this was a newer RMC J24 so it would be compatible with their mouton collar, because I wanted to add one to it, just like your LW has.

I hadn't heard the 'night rider' term before, but I have seen many two-tone custom jackets from various makers. Interesting page on the LW site, though. Lewis Leathers does a lot of them, especially in Japan. Langlitz also seems to do them pretty frequently.

The RMC one is a question for me since it has the side adjustment laces instead of the usual zip pockets. That's something I've not seen in any other J24 or J model, so I wonder if it's based off one of the Buco J series models that was similar to a J24.

BTW, it seems we have similar tastes in jackets: we both have a Chevalier and a 'night rider' D-pocket, haha.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
You could probably just send it to Johnson or maybe Thurston and have a mouton collar attached.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Does anyone know if Lost Worlds makes them for non-LW jackets, too? I read in another thread that their mouton collar is high quality, thick and curly.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Does anyone know if Lost Worlds makes them for non-LW jackets, too? I read in another thread that their mouton collar is high quality, thick and curly.

I would not risk even asking Lost Worlds if he'd work on someone else's jacket let alone a (relative to LW) flimsy veg tan one, lol. You might get blacklisted from being able to order in the future, even.

I'm sure Johnson can source whatever type of mouton you want. One of their biggest markets is California law enforcement, and while the hides on police jackets are boring to enthusiasts, the mouton I've seen on them is pretty hefty and high quality.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
I would not risk even asking Lost Worlds if he'd work on someone else's jacket let alone a (relative to LW) flimsy veg tan one, lol. You might get blacklisted from being able to order in the future, even.

I'm sure Johnson can source whatever type of mouton you want. One of their biggest markets is California law enforcement, and while the hides on police jackets are boring to enthusiasts, the mouton I've seen on them is pretty hefty and high quality.
Yeah, I asked that about LW reluctantly as I've heard Stuart is pretty difficult to deal with. I've skipped their jackets due to this. I'll look into Johnson Leathers though, thanks. A grey or maybe cream mouton collar would complement this jacket well.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would not risk your reputation with Lost Worlds... Send it to Johnson Leathers and they will take care of you.

Really really sharp jacket. I hope it fits you well and you provide photos when it arrives. Now this has me thinking about a white on black jacket too...! :)

Aloysius

Yeah, I asked that about LW reluctantly as I've heard Stuart is pretty difficult to deal with. I've skipped their jackets due to this. I'll look into Johnson Leathers though, thanks. A grey or maybe cream mouton collar would complement this jacket well.

I can endorse Thurston's mouton collars from experience. They have curly cream mouton. Worth dropping them an email.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You can just get the RMC fur collar and have any local cobblers to put on the other side of the studs on the jacket.
Example: The RMC collar comes with female snaps then get the cobbler to put in male snaps (on the jacket collar) where it lines up. Lining up the snaps is the most difficult part.
And use those Sailrite snaps they withstand wind better.

Aloysius

You can just get the RMC fur collar and have any local cobblers to put on the other side of the studs on the jacket.
Example: The RMC collar comes with female snaps then get the cobbler to put in male snaps (on the jacket collar) where it lines up. Lining up the snaps is the most difficult part.
And use those Sailrite snaps they withstand wind better.

No, his jacket already has male snaps. All RMC cross-zips do, whether or not they sell a collar for them.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No, his jacket already has male snaps. All RMC cross-zips do, whether or not they sell a collar for them.
Hmm... That makes things a bit more difficult. It would be best if RMC just sends him a collar.
They are about 150 no matter who makes them in the US. But RMC factory ones will have matching leather on the back side.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Honestly the whole "Stuart is difficult to deal with" is vastly overplayed...
He always answers within 1 hour, yes he is short and to the point, but he is very open to ideas.
I personally have never had a problem dealing with him, i can't say that from every other maker i bought from.
Calling him is always a good idea, i have had conversations with him that lasted 4 hours, he is a mega jacket nerd!

For example i just got in touch with him regarding making a custom tri tone racing inspired jacket with padding, i thought it would be a bit much for him, but he said " I really like this design, lets do it, if it comes out well i'll add it to the website".
He also accepted to remake a synthetic Vanson collar i have and replace the synthetic with real mutton.
Admitedly i am a good customer of his, but everything is possible... He isn't the soup nazi!
(Just don't talk to him about Shinki or veg tanned leather!)

Last edited:

Aloysius

Hmm... That makes things a bit more difficult. It would be best if RMC just sends him a collar.
They are about 150 no matter who makes them in the US. But RMC factory ones will have matching leather on the back side.

RMC puts those snaps on for historical accuracy in the look, but the snaps that they put that are intended for use have a different position so they are not compatible. It’s a strange and quite stupid setup, but it’s how they do things so that does mean they cannot supply a collar that will attach.

Honestly the whole "Stuart is difficult to deal with" is vastly overplayed...
He always answers within 1 hour, yes he is short and to the point, but he is very open to ideas.
I personally have never had a problem dealing with him, i can't say that from every other maker i bought from.
Calling him is always a good idea, i have had conversations with him that lasted 4 hours, he is a mega jacket nerd!

For example i just got in touch with him regarding making a custom tri tone racing inspired jacket with padding, i thought it would be a bit much for him, but he said " I really like this design, lets do it, if it comes out well i'll add it to the website".
He also accepted to remake a synthetic Vanson collar i have and replace the synthetic with real mutton.
Admitedly i am a good customer of his, but everything is possible... He isn't the soup nazi!
(Just don't talk to him about Shinki or veg tanned leather!)

I’m not the LW client you are, and have had the same experience. My most recent example, I reached out after my accident to let him know the J23 performed incredibly well. His response was genuine and more than was required. Always been that way with me.

He answers emails on a Sunday afternoon within an hour. Always fast. Shorts comms sometimes, but always comms. Detailed and long phone calls is the norm.

He believes chrome-tanned is the way. No doubting his passion there. Most folks aren’t as passionate about what they do for a living. I don’t knock him for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points