Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which RMC Buco jacket is this? [J24 content]

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
RMC puts those snaps on for historical accuracy in the look, but the snaps that they put that are intended for use have a different position so they are not compatible. It’s a strange and quite stupid setup, but it’s how they do things so that does mean they cannot supply a collar that will attach.
I noticed this. The newer model J24 and all of the J24L models are supposed to be compatible with their RMC collar addon.

The old j24 models that aren't compatible with their collar have the snaps too, so it is hard to tell which generation this might be. I emailed RMC with pics but haven't heard from them yet.

So it sounds like it'd be something Thurston or Johnson could create to hopefully use the existing collar buttons, but I'm not sure why RMC doesn't just make one themselves.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
On a related note, Real McCoy's London got back to me with the following:

I have forwarded the photos to be inspected at the headquarters. They have confirmed that this is jacket was not made by our company. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any information regarding this product.

Let us know if we can do anything else for you - we're here to help.

Kind Regards,

The Real McCoy's Mayfair Team
2a Sackville Street,
London W1S 3DA

I asked them this too, and have emailed the Real McCoy's Japan email, but I don't know they still operate. Does anyone know if the RMC based now out of London is the same company as the Japanese one that existed prior, or if they at least consider themselves a new iteration of the same company? According to the photos, this jacket does have an RMC tag:

D27ulPhoR2ioaUFkkb9s

Wondering if it could be an older Japanese model indeed, or if I have a spurious RMC knockoff on the way!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
On a related note, Real McCoy's London got back to me with the following:

I have forwarded the photos to be inspected at the headquarters. They have confirmed that this is jacket was not made by our company. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any information regarding this product.

Let us know if we can do anything else for you - we're here to help.

Kind Regards,

The Real McCoy's Mayfair Team
2a Sackville Street,
London W1S 3DA

I asked them this too, and have emailed the Real McCoy's Japan email, but I don't know they still operate. Does anyone know if the RMC based now out of London is the same company as the Japanese one that existed prior, or if they at least consider themselves a new iteration of the same company? According to the photos, this jacket does have an RMC tag:

D27ulPhoR2ioaUFkkb9s

Wondering if it could be an older Japanese model indeed, or if I have a spurious RMC knockoff on the way!
If it's a brand appropriation, it's the best one I've ever seen.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I may have answered my own question, based on the 'Reproduced by The Real McCoy's' tag inside. If I look up that specific tag, there are several 1990s and early 2000s RMC jackets that pop up.

These 1990s examples have the same tag in the same place.

https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank...mccoys-buco-j-88-motorcycle-leather-jacket-34
https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank...mccoys-buco-j-88-motorcycle-leather-jacket-34
https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank-2/1998-vintage-repro-the-real-mccoys-buco-j-57-motorcycle-leather-jacket-36

The J24 I purchased:
D27ulPhoR2ioaUFkkb9s

They both also have the same Navy / Gold Buco tag, and the same 'Lining 100% Nylon' tag.
Interestingly, it has a 'made in New Zealand' tag inside, which I will look for in the jacket I purchased upon receipt. It would be cool to have snagged a really early RMC from their NZ days and would potentially explain why the current company did not recognize it.

2c606f_e16441373c5049cc9a44e4cb9301ecb2~mv2.webp

The J24:
nhXG1XsnRhCuyBJFbNKN

I guess I will wait and see. Given some similarities, it would seem it's a 2000 model, when they were doing a two-tone run or something, especially based on this J100 jacket that Carlos shared:

https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank...he-real-mccoys-j-100-j100-buco-leather-jacket

2c606f_c9f47444f9f945fbab79c9fc49c16232~mv2.webp

dannyk

One Too Many
Thanks! I may have answered my own question, based on the 'Reproduced by The Real McCoy's' tag inside. If I look up that specific tag, there are several 1990s and early 2000s RMC jackets that pop up.

These 1990s examples have the same tag in the same place.

https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank-2/1998-vintage-repro-the-real-mccoys-buco-j-57-motorcycle-leather-jacket-36

The J24 I purchased:
D27ulPhoR2ioaUFkkb9s

They both also have the same Navy / Gold Buco tag, and the same 'Lining 100% Nylon' tag.
Interestingly, it has a 'made in New Zealand' tag inside, which I will look for in the jacket I purchased upon receipt. It would be cool to have snagged a really early RMC from their NZ days and would potentially explain why the current company did not recognize it.

2c606f_e16441373c5049cc9a44e4cb9301ecb2~mv2.webp

The J24:
nhXG1XsnRhCuyBJFbNKN

I guess I will wait and see. Given some similarities, it would seem it's a 2000 model, when they were doing a two-tone run or something, especially based on this J100 jacket that Carlos shared:

https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank...he-real-mccoys-j-100-j100-buco-leather-jacket

2c606f_c9f47444f9f945fbab79c9fc49c16232~mv2.webp
RMC New Zealand is the OG OG RMC. And that fits the timeline. And actually now makes sense Ive seen some older two tone jackets from that era....as well as some really cool Harley as well as Buco repros from that time.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
This would be awesome. I purchased it from a Japanese seller who had it listed for several months, let's see if / when he ships it what it's like in hand. Also a little concerned about fit. I can fit a 34 or Japanese 36, but these days, only with a t-shirt underneath really.

dannyk

One Too Many
This would be awesome. I purchased it from a Japanese seller who had it listed for several months, let's see if / when he ships it what it's like in hand. Also a little concerned about fit. I can fit a 34 or Japanese 36, but these days, only with a t-shirt underneath really.
As an example a lot of these date to the 90s early 2000s which would be RMC NZ or the start of them being Japan. Long before tea-core and shinki were the biggest fads. And when Harley was where the money was at before Buco blew up.

Attachments

• A9FFBD40-2208-4028-AB33-C5EFC7ABA3AA.jpeg
    A9FFBD40-2208-4028-AB33-C5EFC7ABA3AA.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A8E77E47-692D-492E-BC3A-E68B27BEAF64.jpeg
    A8E77E47-692D-492E-BC3A-E68B27BEAF64.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 67

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

There was the same jacket in red/black for sale in the classifieds a few months ago, seller was @think_zot if i remember correctly.

DorKlonn

New in Town

If it doesnt fit you, I would love if you would give me a holler so we can keep this beauty in circulation around the lounge!

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
There was the same jacket in red/black for sale in the classifieds a few months ago, seller was @think_zot if i remember correctly.

It was @Rgcards jacket you're thinking of if we are talking about the same one. I saw it and it looks killer. His is 2018 and has the "built by Real McCoys" tag versus the "Reproduced by" tag I showed above.

If it doesnt fit you, I would love if you would give me a holler so we can keep this beauty in circulation around the lounge!

Will do! I'll be updating this thread as it progresses and when I get it, too.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your Black White Buco is an early RM piece though not as early as the HD versions. My fd has the same one. He bought it probably more than 10 years ago. It is a limited version for one season but back then the non-military leather jackets are almost all limited to one or two seasons.
I don't think it is an accurate Buco repro so I doubt you can find the original J number. Incidentally, they just made a new version with zippers in stead of laces.

Geekrobot

One of the Regulars
Your Black White Buco is an early RM piece though not as early as the HD versions. My fd has the same one. He bought it probably more than 10 years ago. It is a limited version for one season but back then the non-military leather jackets are almost all limited to one or two seasons.
I don't think it is an accurate Buco repro so I doubt you can find the original J number. Incidentally, they just made a new version with zippers in stead of laces.
Thank you! This is hugely helpful info. Does your friend's jacket have the same side laces too? If you happen to have any pics by some random chance, please share!

I was kinda hoping this one was shinki teacore too but it doesn't really matter-- RMC tends to have pretty quality ingredients.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you! This is hugely helpful info. Does your friend's jacket have the same side laces too? Also, what does HD version mean? If you happen to have any pics by some random chance, please share!

I was kinda hoping this one was shinki teacore too but it doesn't really matter-- RMC tends to have pretty quality ingredients.
Yes, my fd's has the side laces. AFAIK RM's first J-24 was made under the HD collab label.
i-img1200x900-1640759150m90ln2214990.jpg
i-img1200x900-1640759177lfkhwu854632.jpg
i-img1200x900-1640759193r1r49v5530.jpg
i-img1200x900-1640759199miazlp938689.jpg

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j557638909
https://fashion.aucfan.com/yahoo/b1028828657/

dannyk

One Too Many
This is becoming an awesome history of RMC J24 jackets thread!
For people who know the history those 90s HD labeled jackets cost a fortune. But every now and then you’ll see one for sale from someone who doesn’t know what they are worth. I’m not saying they are cheap; but actually selling under value of what you’d expect. As was mentioned by someone above a lot of the 90s RMC and early 2000s jackets were done in very limited runs or only for a season or two. Then they would do a new model or two.

Mich486

One Too Many
I see quite a few of those early RMC xHD jackets on yahoo jp. They don’t seem to me that expensive relatively speaking (around 400-600 GBP).

Two problems for me: they are massively undersized and the leather looks kind of cheap (forget about shinki). I love the early cycle champ design but I can’t bring myself to spend that money on those jackets. I probably need a 42 to fit my chest… and I’m a pretty solid 38 normally.

dannyk

One Too Many
I see quite a few of those early RMC xHD jackets on yahoo jp. They don’t seem to me that expensive relatively speaking (around 400-600 GBP).

Two problems for me: they are massively undersized and the leather looks kind of cheap (forget about shinki). I love the early cycle champ design but I can’t bring myself to spend that money on those jackets. I probably need a 42 to fit my chest… and I’m a pretty solid 38 normally.
That’s what I’m saying they don’t go for much. But I’ve seen them have the bidding ramp up and go like crazy when “collectors” and RMC fantastical get involved. I don’t think the general public cares. Because it’s HD label and not Buck. It’s not Shinki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112