Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which sailing winter jacket look for?

Dodo

Familiar Face
Sometimes I enjoy sailing on friend's yacht-boats during winter time. You know, sailing means movements to set sails, agility to move fast in narrow spaces, so till now i used to wear a mountain jacket :eek: but now i would like to buy some stilish and/or vintage garments more sailing oriented.
Not interested in super modern material, more waxed cotton oriented, indeed.
So, you guys, who love to sail, what do you wear on boat?
Please, feel free to post picture, they'll be higly appreciated
Thanks a lot for your help.

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
Try with a hunting jacket like the austrian wool hunting jacket. Designed for hunters, a classical outdoor activity.

chaqueta+austriaca.jpg

or swedish army wool jacket with two REAR pockets. I have one and its great (heavy,warm, its a cheap combat jacket). Wool quality superb ant this is not scartchy!.

swed33.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/halfbyte/2841723109/in/photostream/

Example: http://cgi.ebay.es/Vintage-Swedish-...91099836?pt=Men_s_Clothes&hash=item1e61e02abc

Take notice this jacket has buttoms with anchors and a patch with cannons (swedish navy+artillery: :D).

104 cm: Large: 41´´ (little fifted for me because i use xl pants)
108 cm. Large: 42´´ perfect (i have one with a laber ¨108¨)

weight of the jacket: about 2kg

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've spent a lot of time on the water in the winter...mainly in the near-shore Atlantic above 34 degrees north. This is a jacket that I frequently wear in dry conditions. It is permeable, so it isn't good in constant spray or driving rain. It is a USN A-2 deck jacket...issued between the mid-sixties and the late eighties. Very comfortable, very warm. Several are usually avaliable on e-bay at any given time.

CEbZpiEGkKGrHqMOKikE0sRpwCYBNR1BwJuQ0_1.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Try with a hunting jacket like the austrian wool hunting jacket. Designed for hunters, a classical outdoor activity.

chaqueta+austriaca.jpg

or swedish army wool jacket with two REAR pockets. I have one and its great (heavy,warm, its a cheap combat jacket). Wool quality superb ant this is not scartchy!.

swed33.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/halfbyte/2841723109/in/photostream/

Example: http://cgi.ebay.es/Vintage-Swedish-...91099836?pt=Men_s_Clothes&hash=item1e61e02abc

Take notice this jacket has buttoms with anchors and a patch with cannons (swedish navy+artillery: :D).

104 cm: Large: 41´´ (little fifted for me because i use xl pants)
108 cm. Large: 42´´ perfect (i have one with a laber ¨108¨)

weight of the jacket: about 2kg

Nice coat but not too good for sailing. Spray will soak it and make it too heavy to move in. Oilskin is the go.

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
I've spent a lot of time on the water in the winter...mainly in the near-shore Atlantic above 34 degrees north. This is a jacket that I frequently wear in dry conditions. It is permeable, so it isn't good in constant spray or driving rain. It is a USN A-2 deck jacket...issued between the mid-sixties and the late eighties. Very comfortable, very warm. Several are usually avaliable on e-bay at any given time.

CEbZpiEGkKGrHqMOKikE0sRpwCYBNR1BwJuQ0_1.jpg

AF

With nikwax http://www.nikwax.com : a good combination.

nikwax-tx-direct-med.jpg

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
I vote peacoat, or a waxed cotton jacket such as a belstaff or barbour.

More importantly, grab one of these: www.northseaclothing.co.uk

I have one and it's excellent. Very trimly fitted with a high rollneck. Quite warm, perfect for sailing and moving about with lines and blocks and gear. What sort of sailing do you do?

Edward

Bartender
Yes, some one of the USN deck jackets (quite a few repros floating around - Buzz Rickson do a fair few of them, I know) would be my choice. Vintage style, and designed to be worn on a boat. Good combination. I'm sure you could find modern stuff that's cheaper and arguably "better" for the purpose, but then you lose vintage style. I'd rather compromise to keep the style something in which I could bear to be seen, but YMMV. ;)

Adcurium

A-List Customer
As a sailor, I've got to warn you to stay away form natural fabrics like wool and cotton (at least in the winter). Forget vintage and go for a HH jacket designed for winter sailing.

Dodo

Familiar Face
We sail on Comet 38s about 2000, a good italian made sailboat. I'll try to put on a pic

Dodo

Familiar Face
I found on line an heritage research navy pullover in wax cotton on sale of the winter season and i bought it for less than £ 110,00. I want to try it when it arrives to me. that's the thing http://www.aphrodite1994.com/clothi...search-jacket-navy-seamans-pullover-29063.htm
I know it's not the better choice compared with modern material but maybe here in med area it could be work 'cause it's not so cold even in winter; when i can check the room for a middle layer maybe i will buy a north sea submariner which caught my eye too. anyway, thanks for al the appreciated suggestions and hope to post some pictures while sailing with my new garment.
Good wind to all of you!!

Dodo

Familiar Face
Yes, Cabourn parka is really nice but, i think, not so usefull on a sailboat, it's too long and it can get dirty when you are seated at the winches, it doesn't have zip on pockets (so you can loose something you put inside) the corduroy collar can get wet with waves. it's a nice jacket but more earth oriented, just my 2 cents opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy