Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member Intro & seeking advice for Aero Winter jacket

hipcheck

New in Town
Hello,

My name is Darrin and I have been lurking on the site for a bit and been lucky to get such great information. Everyone seems very helpful and informative. I seem to have caught the bug and now addicted to buying some great leather jackets, there could be worse things right!

So far I have:

Aero Highwayman in Brown (I think the sleeves may be a tad long)
Aero Cafe Racer in Cordovan
Alexander Dakota in Kudu (shipped last week waiting to rip open the box on arrival)

My question to you fine gents is this. I live in NYC and want to get a winter jacket suitable for the climate. I was leaning toward the Aero Hercules with a Mouton collar but not sure if I should get the Alpaca lining or sheepskin. I saw the recent post with an Aero Hercules lined with Sheepskin.

I am not sure if the sheepskin lined would be too warm for NYC as I wanted to wear the jacket from late November to Early March.

Any experience or advice on this is appreciated. Thanks for a great forum!

Regards!

Darrin

Well, if NY is like I remember it, and the forecasts for this coming years are true, then the sheep-lined jacket sounds perfect. Put it this way, if I still lived back in the NE, I'd own one for sure.
I wore an Alpaca-lined and Tartan (heavy) lined Aero FQHH jackets in France, UK, and Scotland, and they were just about right, but I needed a warm shirt and scarf. Also, the one has a removable sheep collar. For more colder climes, I'd def own a sheepy.

Good luck! Others will have the usual 2¢ to add. By them time you're done, you'll have at least $2.00 :)

Otter

One Too Many
Welcome! I have a Hercules with the mouton collar and it is a very nice jacket. I think you are a bit colder in NY than we are here, so it all depends on how much time you soend out in that cold and if you layer underneath it. I find I never layer with my B-3 or Irvin and I find the Irvin is warmer than the B-3. If you wear short sleeves or T shirts you may find the Alpaca a little scratchy at first. I have it on my B-10, but don't notice it any more. The Herc is a slighlty longer style so if you are driving a lot in it you may find you move inside it rather than it moving with you.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. You might consider layering under one of your existing jackets or buying a warmer vintage jacket such as the excellent B-10 made by Eastman Leather clothing. This will not be as warm as a thick sheepskin jacket, such as a B-3 or an Irvin but would be ideal for a NYC winter.

hipcheck

New in Town
Thank you for your input guys. I usually never layer much. I heard you can get alpaca lined then cotton over the alpaca but I am not sure and if that even adds more warmth. What do you think of the cherry color since I have brown and cordovan? I do love the brown and feel it may be more versatile. So many choices so little time.

Stand By

One Too Many
Welcome to the Funny Farm, Darrin!
Good point Aswatland. Darrin mentioned 3 "civilian"" type jackets, which aren't my bag so much so I wasn't going to chime in, but as you mention a B-10(and that's a fine choice with the 1/4" sheepskin fleece), I would also suggest a B-6 - or even a Luftwaffe.
It really depends on your lifestyle and how much time you spend outdoors, Darrin.
I know that I find my ELC B3 and Irvin to be completely indispensible items - but then again, I'm being walked by the dogs for an hour in the dark, like it or not ...
But for someone in NYC who's exposure to the elements is limited and who is and out of taxis, and on and off the subways to be in and out of bars, restaurants and an office - then I think a B3/Irvin (with 3/4" fleece) would be too warm for what you need. I know that on the days that I have to give up riding to work on the mountain bike (due to freezing rain/ice/2"> of fresh snow) and common-sense tells me that I have to succumb to commuting on the subways and connecting buses, I wear my Luftwaffe or B6 and I'm just right. I'd cook in anything warmer.

simonc

Practically Family
I am he who owns the said Hercules. I haven't put it to a real test yet as its summer still here so its still a tough bet. But I cannot imagine anywhere on the planet being much of a challenge to my torso this winter. If you are very slim I'd say go for it, if you are "big" which we call "fat" in UK then I'd say, no. If you are medium weight, which we call "fat" in UK, I'd say no. Why do I say this? This is two jackets in one. Imagine wearing a sheepskin jacket and slipping on a horsehide jacket over it. That is what it is. Sure the arms are not sheepskin lined, but cord. So freedom there. But if you tick all those boxes and want a jacket which says "F***K YOU winter then look no further, you may pass. NY is colder than London on most days so you are going to get more use out it than me. But I just wanted "that" jacket in my arsenal. Some say layer up. I say you wear this, you walk into a bar, you've got a shirt on underneath, no layers - done. If you do go ahead pm me and I'll help you with the specs.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Living North of you but having been born and raised in the City I think you can hedge your bets with a D-1 or B-6 flight jacket. The nap is shorter than that on the Irvin or B-3 and, with the zips, can be quite versatile. Or perhaps Aero's new "Thunderbay" if you want to stick with a company and hide you know. If taking the subways either go FQHH or a cheap woolie you don't mind getting ruint.

Worf

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Yes Worf, the Thunderbay could be fine choice, excellent. Only think I'd say in defence of the Herc it is longer therefore ass is half covered.

Yes Worf, the Thunderbay could be fine choice, excellent. Only think I'd say in defence of the Herc it is longer therefore ass is half covered.
Isn't yours a shorter pile sheerling? I didn't think it was the B-3/Irvin thickness?B-6 and D-1 to me aren't as appealing as they are more fragile. The HH jacket is one to last many lifetimes. Just me, and he did ask for "Aero" so I figured he meant "Civi" models...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Isn't yours a shorter pile sheerling? I didn't think it was the B-3/Irvin thickness?B-6 and D-1 to me aren't as appealing as they are more fragile. The HH jacket is one to last many lifetimes. Just me, and he did ask for "Aero" so I figured he meant "Civi" models...

Scott, I think that HBD with mouton collar that you P/U'd while you were in Scotland might work well, especially with the heavy or even medium weight tartan lining. I suspect that inside fleece would be really bulky. I dunno ... [huh]

simonc

Practically Family
* You can order the Shearling lining in different thickness up to 3/4 inch, which is what I got. Perhaps a half inch would be leaning towards more sensible.

Scott, I think that HBD with mouton collar that you P/U'd while you were in Scotland might work well, especially with the heavy or even medium weight tartan lining. I suspect that inside fleece would be really bulky. I dunno ... [huh]
Yeah, I know they're not doing the removable thing now, but what I have with an attached mouton collar is awesome. The "heavy" Tartan isn't really heavy IMO. I can wear this jacket in LA for a few months each year. It's a good "bundler" as it's a 50's cut - fuller. So I can wear a T-shirt, or a sweater.

Edward

Bartender
Based on the experience of my one Winter visit to NYC, if I were looking for a jacket for the worst of the Winter there I'd be seriously considering a Barnstormer with shearling lining.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Winter in NYC is weird from leather jacket point of view. Lots of 30-40 degrees, at times a snowstorm (well, for us in the Alps, a snowfall..). My choice there would be an A-1 or an A-2, coupled with a full length woolen overcoat. Apart from that, an N-B3, no leather there, though...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Thunderbay is a serious piece of kit half-Irvin/half-biker jacket. You might want to consider a Hudson, maybe add a shearling lining if you're feeling the cold.

hipcheck

New in Town
You freaking guys rock! I really appreciate all the input. Hold on, you guys are bastards! Now I have to go and buy more jackets!! LOL. I am weighing all options and hopefully can figure it out. I wish I was a vampire so I could wear these jackets 24/7. This is a great forum!

Thanks again!

Darrin

hipcheck

New in Town
What do you think the range of degrees would be for a sheep lined jacket with no layers being warm & comfortable without sweating to death?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot