Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whippet or Whipped?

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
OK Guys, give it to me straight. Did I pay too much for this Whippet? I have had an offer to buy it from a gentleman who lost the bidding to me for my asking price. As you see I am still wet behind the ears on this (eBay Stupid?).

Whippet.jpg

Mr. K.L.Bowers

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROYAL-S...8QQihZ002QQcategoryZ52369QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
OK Guys, give it to me straight. Did I pay too much for this Whippet?

In a word, no. That price is well within reason by today's standards. And I think that's just fine. It's not that better deals are unheard of, but they're getting scarcer. And a genuine Whippet, in that size, and in that condition, is a much better value at that money than anything to be found in a modern, off-the-shelf hat. No doubt about it. If you did wish to part with it, I'm certain you could get any one of several people here to offer more than you paid.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The hat looks beautiful and if it is as it looks in the photo and it fits you, I think you paid the right amount.

MattC

A-List Customer
Its a good deal

Two ways to think about it:

1) Vintage market. Lesser hats have gone for much more; similar hats sometimes go for less, sometimes more. You are on the market.

2) General market. You can't buy a new hat today for less than $100. You can't buy a new hat today of that quality for less than $300.

You did quite well.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Ebay prices can be so fickle. A pristine Stetson Playboy just sold for $23! It could easily have sold for $123. I, too, agree that you have paid a reasonable price for your Whippet. It's a gorgeous hat and believe me you won't be sorry about buying it. Good luck.

nulty

One of the Regulars
You paid a more than fair price. If you like the hat for your own use or as a collector item you did very well. Whippets are hard to come by. This hat will only increase in value as long as you have access to a market for it...

Duck

Practically Family
besdor said:
You paid less for a vintage hat that you would for a new hat that is half the quality . They dont make them like that anymore.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Steven said it all. I love my Whippet and I am sure you will too. It is a great quality hat.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
First time caller, long time listener

I just wanted to chime in that I was the guy who won that Stetson Playboy. I was actually prepared to pay much more for it, but I got lucky and no one seemed interested. Its a gift for my dad who use to wear fedoras back when he was just starting out in business in the mid 60's.

But that's the way Ebay is. You have to look at an item, figure out what you would pay, and let the chips fall. At least thats how I do it.

If you feel you paid what you wanted to and are excited about the hat then that's what matters. You never want to end up with buyers remorse.

Fair Price

For the quality of the hat and condition, you could not match it buying new for that price. A bit pricey, maybe in comparision to a few years back, but vintage hats have experienced a growth in demand and the supply is finite.

I'd say that in a year or two you'll probably consider it a very fair price and be very happy with your purchase.

Best wishes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran