Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White and gum-soled.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Happy to see Johnston and Murphy heading back to the old school white wingtips with orange rubber soles. Now if only I could find a vintage pair that fit my awkward feet.

New from J&M
1_47946_FS.jpg

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/catalog_detail.aspx?CNAME=Footwear&SNAME=New Arrivals&PLOID=47946

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love those shoes. I saw them in the catalogue as well. Jonston and Murphy are very nice shoes. I am happy to see them, Brooks Bros., and even J. Crew getting back to classic styling.

Yeah, just got that catalogue too, and was thinking if I could make the white shoes work.

I've been buying nothing but J&M shoes for the past five years. Seems like I never have to break them in, and the uppers usually last about a year and a half of daily wear.

Has anyone bought from Allen Edmonds? Their shoes are pricey - $300 - but they say you can keep sending them back to the factory to have new soles restitched for $100. Not a bad deal as long as the uppers hold together for three years.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Almost all of my dress shoes are Allen Edmonds. I have 4 pairs (not counting my spectators, which I only wear from Easter to Labor Day), which I rotate through the week. The oldest pair is 5 years old, and the newest is 3 years old. None of them show any significant wear on the uppers at all. I have had to replace the soles on the 5 year old pair, but I had that done by a guy in town for $30. I have had the heels replaced on 2 pairs of them because I tend to wear the outside of my soles severely.

I have no doubt that the uppers would last 10 years the way I'm wearing them, and yes, they can rebuild even the uppers for around $100 if you send them back to the factory.

Oh, and all 4 pairs of the Allen Edmonds I have came from Ebay (I custom ordered the spectators), so somebody wore them before me, but I didn't pay more than $40 for any one pair. It's bargain city on there, and I wear a size 15B!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Zohar said:
Almost all of my dress shoes are Allen Edmonds. I have 4 pairs (not counting my spectators, which I only wear from Easter to Labor Day), which I rotate through the week.

I've never played by the Easter to Labor Day rule thing for white shoes. I always thought that was meant for women.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Perhaps, but that's pretty much how things work here in the South. A lot of it depends on your climate and regional differences.

Many folks follow the Memorial Day - Labor day rules, but around here it starts at Easter.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Senator Jack said:
Has anyone bought from Allen Edmonds? Their shoes are pricey - $300 - but they say you can keep sending them back to the factory to have new soles restitched for $100. Not a bad deal as long as the uppers hold together for three years.

Don't buy Allen Edmonds shoes. If you do, you'll become shockingly disgruntled with the Johnston and Murphys, and you'll be tempted to replace ALL your shoes. It could be a costly adventure.

On the plus side, AE's that are cared for can last twenty years or more.

Hit on the head by Teacher: Don't buy Allen Edmonds shoes. If you do, you'll become shockingly disgruntled with the Johnston and Murphys, and you'll be tempted to replace ALL your shoes. It could be a costly adventure.

Yeah, I learned that lesson with custom made dress shirts. Treated myself to three as a birthday present and now I can't wear anything else!

Do the uppers really last that long with normal use? I'm always running around the city, always on my feet, so figure 2-3 days a week at about two miles each day. The J&Ms always wear out at the same spot - at the bend of the toe on the side. The rest of the stitching always remains tight.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Who makes the white/gumsoled shoes plain toe shoes for Brooks Bros. and Polo? I remember being in the Hamptons last summer and saw a pair of great white shoes in the Ralph Lauren store there.

ray

kools

Practically Family
I spent about 5 years at one point wearing the same pair of AE captoes about 5-6 days a week. My only care included using shoes trees and polishing them once a week. I have had them resoled a couple of times, but the uppers are still near perfect with the exception of a small scuff on the heel.

I had other shoes, but never wore them after buying my 1st pair of AE (this does not include my spectators... black & white; brown & white-not for my daily wear).

These shoes are now about 8 years old and I expect to have them for many, many more years. They are worth it! I now have 6 pairs of AE for daily use, so no single pair will get excessive use. And yeah, you can get brand new AE on ebay for about $125-$150.

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Walkover Shoes?

Senator Jack said:
Yeah, I learned that lesson with custom made dress shirts. Treated myself to three as a birthday present and now I can't wear anything else!

Do the uppers really last that long with normal use? I'm always running around the city, always on my feet, so figure 2-3 days a week at about two miles each day. The J&Ms always wear out at the same spot - at the bend of the toe on the side. The rest of the stitching always remains tight.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I have had a pair of Black cap toe Allen Edmonds shoes for 12 years, and they still look great. I wore them 2-4 days a week for 6 of those years. Now, just occasional Sundays and when I have to play dress up. They really last, feel great, and can be renovated. To me they are worth the price.

I have recently had Russell Moccasins make a pair of boots to my measurements. They also make shoes, and I think my next purchase will be from them. Even custom made they are less than Allen Edmonds.

I bought a pair of the Brooks Brother's white bucks last year. They are servicable but not high quality. I really miss Walkover bucks. I was told that Walkover went out of business. In highschool and as an undergraduate, I wore Walkover white, dirty and saddle bucks. They were well-made, comfortable, and stylish. Does anyone have any information about Walkover shoes?

I have largely limited my time to the hats section of FL, but I obviously need to branch out. Today I have learned that there are other interesting topics for a ludite, bow tie, barbour, and buck wearing anacronism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo