Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White D-1 Jacket and Aero Refusal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xopher

A-List Customer
So I’ve decided I want a natural white hide D-1 Jacket. Much like the B-7 Parka or the very Early B-3s.

I know it’s not historically accurate, but it’s captured my interest something fierce.

I contacted Aero thinking surely they would make me one, as theirs is the pattern I want and they already do a White B-3.

I have never yet had an Aero and was excited for what would have been my first of at least 3 future jackets.

I was really bummed to be told they would not make the D-1 in white natural hide.
Not because of any real inability or technical constraints, but because the jacket I described just
“isn’t Aero” and that they
“are protective of their brand and the jackets they will and won’t make”

I am honestly baffled by their reply, and confused by the protectiveness of their brand over a pattern they already make with a hide they already use on other models.

I can understand maybe they want to be known as historically accurate…

which if that is they case there are a number of offerings they do which are already not accurate.
I have seen many custom jackets of theirs which have linings, leathers, or zippers which would not be fitting of the 30/40s era jacket they were representing.
They were stylized renditions of period jackets but not what I would call historically accurate.

So if they already stray from authenticity for custom order jackets, why not do a white D-1. Under the reasoning that it’s “not Aero” and they are “protective of their brand”

Wouldn’t a business want to be known for making new customers happy?

Wouldn’t they want to be known for being willing to do such a mild customization such as the color with a hide they already have?

Instead this is my first experience with Aero, and I’m seriously disappointed.

Their brand in my mind is now associated with unwillingness to satisfy one of the simplest requests.
Aero Leather must not want new customers.

If they are so protective of their brand that they okay with leaving customers dissatisfied, then they ought to be fearful of other companies like Fivestar Leather who go above and beyond for their customers and will continue nipping at the heals of Aero.

There is one thing in addition to a white D-1 jacket that they won’t be making, and that is return customer of me.

Here is a photo of a D-1 jacket, which looks to have originally been seal brown but had the pigment stripped down to white. This was the photo that set about my interest in a white D-1 and resulted in me vowing to never give a dime to Aero, unless someone has good reasons to overlook this instance.

Attachments

• 251A980A-D9D8-4FD1-89CD-E0771C2D2FC6.jpeg
    251A980A-D9D8-4FD1-89CD-E0771C2D2FC6.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 107

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Why post this in an open forum? Aero clearly made a decision that they want to keep their military line as accurate as possible. Take your money elsewhere, but why try to damage Aero in this way? Bad form.

Exactly this.

I spoke to Aero regarding having an AN-J-4 made with the ginger/ brown wool skin they use on their RAF jackets.

Was told they like to keep their Military jackets as original as possible which I saw as a fair point.

I have 5 Aero civilian jackets all bought within the last 2.5 years and everyone has been altered to my spec. The fact they don't wish to alter their mil spec jackets is their choice and no reason to criticise.

Just go elsewhere if it bothers you that much.

Any maker refusing to make something they feel doesn't reflect their brand is something I have utmost respect for, regardless of the reasons. There is a sort of guarantee of authenticity and quality in a such business model. It tells me they care about their work.

You also have to understand that while (too) flexible when it comes their civilian range of jackets, Aero is very serious about their military line and takes extreme pride in the historical authenticity of each of their army jacket they spent ages perfecting. The army repro market is extremely competitive, with virtually every maker claiming their repro is the most authentic so you can see how making you something that isn't historically accurate could greatly damage their name & legacy.

In short, Aero doesn't mess with their military styles and that's actually very cool.

Aero also has a perfectly valid reason for refusing custom jackets like that because of what had happened in the past, with the previous management going along with just any dumb idea people could think of and I too believe this was the worst possible thing you could do to your brand. Some of the franken-jackets that occasionally pop-up have me baffled and I've had such imbecilic ideas early on it's not even funny...

Finally, @torfjord is spot on - You are making this sound as if Aero somehow harmed you & they haven't really; You just didn't get what you wanted. That's not Aero's fault. Iron Heart is not at fault for not making dress trousers. :)

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their brand in my mind is now associated with unwillingness to satisfy one of the simplest requests.
In my eyes, you are doing Aero an injustice, because Aero is super helpful, patient and willing to accommodate many requests. But their corporate philosophy is not to compromise on military jackets. Before you know it, you'll quickly have a reputation for making military-inspired fashion jackets and lose your actual target audience. For me, this is quite understandable. Not to mention the development work to make the best possible reproductions.

If they are so protective of their brand that they okay with leaving customers dissatisfied, then they ought to be fearful of other companies like Fivestar Leather who go above and beyond for their customers and will continue nipping at the heals of Aero.
I like 5* and have a few jackets, but they don't come close to Aero (or any others for that matter). And even 5* would be advised not to go along with every idea of the customers. At least not with the repros they copied well.

Xopher

A-List Customer
In the string of emails I had with Aero, they made no distinction between the custom work on civilian and maintaining accuracy with the military line.

Had they at least offered any kind of explanation similar to what Monitor said about preserving those specific styles, then I would have been much more understanding.

Instead their reply was simply “it’s not possible” and “it’s not Aero”.

They didn’t say why it’s “not possible” or explain how its “not Aero” just short vague auto pilot answers.

Had they said “No, because it’s not historically accurate” I could have respected that. But they never said that.

They essentially gave me the run around in multiple emails with vague dismissals and no true explanation.

Wouldnt that frustrate you?

So I guess my real displeasure is not that they won’t make the jacket, but that their customer communication came across dismissive, incomplete and not honest.

They are the ones who should have offered explanations of their reasoning that made sense and were as clear is many of the answers you folks offered.

If Aero had just been up front the first email and said “we choose to only make historically accurate Military jackets” I would have been satisfied with the truth in that answer. But they did not, they were not forthcoming and did not present their brand as one that would value my business.

Last edited:

Xopher

A-List Customer
They never made the distinction between the custom work they will do, and they did not explain why they would not do it in this instance.

I figured that it could be due to historical accuracy, but they never even said that.

For all I know, I historical accuracy may not even be their reason, it’s just my guess at this point. But how am I to know if they don’t take the time to answer?

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
They never made the distinction between the custom work they will do, and they did not explain why they would not do it in this instance.

I figured that it could be due to historical accuracy, but they never even said that.

For all I know, I historical accuracy may not even be their reason, it’s just my guess at this point. But how am I to know if they don’t take the time to answer?
Hi There,

At Aero we try to keep our military jackets as close to original spec as possible. Our military jackets are all based on original patterns and we try to ensure they are as close to original spec as possible this goes for all the materials used from labels, hardware and materials used.
It should have been explained as such to you and I'm sorry it wasn't.
With our civilian jackets we are more flexible and open to design changes and offer a vast array of leather and lining options, this is because they are our own designs rather than faithful reproductions. (Except perhaps jackets like our Indian Rangers etc...)
I hope this clarifies things a little.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
So I’ve decided I want a natural white hide D-1 Jacket. Much like the B-7 Parka or the very Early B-3s.

I know it’s not historically accurate, but it’s captured my interest something fierce.

I contacted Aero thinking surely they would make me one, as theirs is the pattern I want and they already do a White B-3.

I have never yet had an Aero and was excited for what would have been my first of at least 3 future jackets.

I was really bummed to be told they would not make the D-1 in white natural hide.
Not because of any real inability or technical constraints, but because the jacket I described just
“isn’t Aero” and that they
“are protective of their brand and the jackets they will and won’t make”

I am honestly baffled by their reply, and confused by the protectiveness of their brand over a pattern they already make with a hide they already use on other models.

I can understand maybe they want to be known as historically accurate…

which if that is they case there are a number of offerings they do which are already not accurate.
I have seen many custom jackets of theirs which have linings, leathers, or zippers which would not be fitting of the 30/40s era jacket they were representing.
They were stylized renditions of period jackets but not what I would call historically accurate.

So if they already stray from authenticity for custom order jackets, why not do a white D-1. Under the reasoning that it’s “not Aero” and they are “protective of their brand”

Wouldn’t a business want to be known for making new customers happy?

Wouldn’t they want to be known for being willing to do such a mild customization such as the color with a hide they already have?

Instead this is my first experience with Aero, and I’m seriously disappointed.

Aero Leather must not want new customers.

There is one thing in addition to a white D-1 jacket that they won’t be making, and that is return customer of me.

Here is a photo of a D-1 jacket, which looks to have originally been seal brown but had the pigment stripped down to white. This was the photo that set about my interest in a white D-1 and resulted in me vowing to never give a dime to Aero, unless someone has good reasons to overlook this instance.
This would have original been a seal colour but over the years the acrylic top coat has worn through /off leaving the unfinished lighter base.

Xopher

A-List Customer
I thought they sent you "multiple emails"?

Honestly, I'd just move on. They have seemingly made their position clear. Obviously you don't like it, but I doubt this thread will make them change their policy.

Edit: obviously irrelevant in the light of the last post.
Correct, it was three emails with no real explanation offered in their emails.

It took creating this post to finally get a straight answer from them.

I am appreciative that I finally have clarity on the issue, but it should not have taken three emails and a forum thread with 9 posts to do it.

I never got an email from them with this explanation, only on this thread.

It makes me think they never would have even given me that answer had I not posted my discontent here.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Hi There,

At Aero we try to keep our military jackets as close to original spec as possible. Our military jackets are all based on original patterns and we try to ensure they are as close to original spec as possible this goes for all the materials used from labels, hardware and materials used.
It should have been explained as such to you and I'm sorry it wasn't.
With our civilian jackets we are more flexible and open to design changes and offer a vast array of leather and lining options, this is because they are our own designs rather than faithful reproductions. (Except perhaps jackets like our Indian Rangers etc...)
I hope this clarifies things a little.

Thank you for the clarity, I only wish that it had been more easily attained.

I appreciate the apology that your initial answer was not more forthcoming.

Thank you

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the clarity, I only wish that it had been more easily attained.

I appreciate the apology that your initial answer was not more forthcoming.

Thank you
Again I apologise that you weren't offered a full explanation (did you ask for clarification?)
We have been quite short staffed here at the factory this last 2 weeks due to a few of our team being off with covid, myself included. Some emails may have been answered in a briefer manner than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff