Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
RAAF said:
Spitfire,
Nice sweater but the theory of frock evolution is off by a bit. The white pre-war frock continued on RAF issue until 1944 when it was replaced by a dark blue version of exactly the same pattern. "The RN jumper as worn by Spitfire pilots" is a product of the 1969 movie, "Battle of Britain" and had far more to do with prop availability than historical precedent. Surviving frocks being few and far between by this point. Same can be said of the RN Fleet Air Arm type C helmets (parading as earlier RAF type B helmets), and orange 1960s pattern mae wests, etc. Robert Shaw sporting the RN jumper in the movie, while iconic, isn't historically accurate.

While there was some use of the RN jumper by aircrew, it was largely confined to those assigned to flying boat squadrons. Being assigned on/near naval installations, they were often supplied with RN items of issue.

Many personal jumpers were worn by aircrew but, photographically, very few showing RN roll neck jumpers.

As ungainly as the RAF frock is/was, it was well designed for its intended purpose. The change to a less-obvious dark blue was literally the only change made to the garment.

Thanks - I stand corrected:eek:
As i said - it was only my idear....
I think I will only wear my sweater on the high street then.lol

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
RAF Sweater

Hi All,
I've just ordered a black sweater from Aussie Digger. Once it arrives I'll get photos posted.

Chris Kanka (the owner) was VERY helpful.

Cheers,

DDR

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Just got my Eastman "aircrew" ecru sweater. Great fit, warm and relatively inexpensive for good knitwear. At the current £/$ rate, it's on a par in terms of value with WPG's, and cheaper if you add on a potential customs sting.

I imagine the sheepy whiff of untreated wool must've added a rare nuance to the already fragrant subs.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Mr past, what's the "itchiness" factor on that jumper?

I'm waiting for an unissued J.Pick & Sons jumper, which I won on Ebay, to arrive but I love the look of the Eastman. Did it come in one of their amazing cardboard boxes?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
dit dah said:
"itchiness"...amazing cardboard boxes?

Not so itchy. I wear it over a long-sleeved vest and I'm not generally bothered by itchy wool. Maybe others would notice it more. Very sheepy, lanolin rich wool, with minute amounts of slightly darker fibres in a couple of places.

It fits perfectly (46"), it's very warm, quite heavy (similar weight to an old lanolin-rich Guernsey sweater I've still got) and it looks good (nice buttery natural wool colour). The shoulders and neck are something like the J Pick ones, although the ribbing at waist and cuff is a bit smaller. The main thing is that I'll never ever see an original jersey in my size that I can afford.

I liked the posh presentation package: the jumper came enclosed in a sealed, labeled brown paper bag inside a sturdy flat cardboard box. For the price I paid, which was including postage, I wasn't expecting bells and whistles to be added.

lol This sounds like it was posted by a marketing assistant.

Overall, I like it. I'd buy another tomorrow if I had 50 quid to spare.

Edit: I've just looked at the jumper you won on Ebay. It looks pristine. Nice find and not too bad on the price.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Eastman (pic)

I have no problem with it being itchy. Nice stretchy, tight fitting jumper! And good quality too.
(For Reference: First pic: Aero RAF Sheepskin; Second Pic; Pre war Irvin Air Chute sheepskin)

RAFJacket1.jpg

Irvin-Battle_of_Britain004.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great pics Paddy, although you look a little pensive in that last one. Dicey op coming up shooting up flak-boats or Jerry airfields eh?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Good move. You have just avoided buying an Eastman and bought a Pick. Congratulations on acquiring the real thing. See previous threads.

dit dah said:
Mr past, what's the "itchiness" factor on that jumper?

I'm waiting for an unissued J.Pick & Sons jumper, which I won on Ebay, to arrive but I love the look of the Eastman. Did it come in one of their amazing cardboard boxes?

dit dah

One of the Regulars
The J. Pick & Son's jumper arrived yesterday. Wonderful, and rather a nice companion to the surplus duffle I eventually managed to find in a small size and which arrived today.

I'd read about the difference in quality in the genuine issue duffles but was still amazed at the weight of the coat, hope we get a cold winter.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dit dah said:
The J. Pick & Son's jumper arrived yesterday. Wonderful, and rather a nice companion to the surplus duffle I eventually managed to find in a small size and which arrived today.

I'd read about the difference in quality in the genuine issue duffles but was still amazed at the weight of the coat, hope we get a cold winter.

Pictures please dit dah, pictures!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Small size? The smallest I have ever been able to find is a Size 1 and that's huge! They should have done a -1 or -2 size!

dit dah said:

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Yes it is a size 1 and yes you're right, it's still pretty tent like. Must have been some pretty big Sailors! I intend to eat my own body weight over the festive period in an attempt to "grow" into it, especially as all the recent Irvins for sale have been big 'ens.

"And thus it came to pass that he was unable to complete a post on any subject, on any forum, without mentioning his unquenchable, yet increasingly tedious, desire for an Irvin jacket....."

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
dit dah said:
I intend to eat my own body over the festive period in an attempt to "grow" into it,...
"

Make sure you stuff yourself before you eat yourself and don't forget to leave room for the beard sauce
and lashings of bum rutter.

Oh... and the pint of bitters.

Why not just put yourself in a hot wash and shrink yourself a little..?
I mean the woolly.

Moi?

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Oh Mr. Tank, and I thought you didn't care

My tipple, as you well know sir, is a pint of scones

The only shrinkage here is my ability to contend with your exquisite wit, emoticon

I was, of course, intending to eat my body "weight", damn those post cocktail posts, so irksome when it all goes bellytank up

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Christmas pud, brandy butter should do the trick dit dah.

Though come on old bean, we're still waiting for photos of this "new" jumper.

Just the time to pick up an Irvin jacket and it'll go a treat with your new acquistion.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
dit dah said:

worthlesswithoutpics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy