Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White socks/black sneakers?

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I was out a couple of weeks ago on a hot night. I was wearing a black tank top, long khaki shorts, white socks and black Camper sneakers (retro looking). A German woman came to me at some point and said, "Hey, you're cool, man. But get rid of the white socks." I was really surprised. Basically, I'm just recovering for the unbearably ugly habit of wearing dress socks with sneakers. To me anymore, sneakers=white socks/athletic socks. The idea of wearing black athletic socks with black sneakers doesn't sound all that good to me (too Goth or something). This lady's recommendation was that I wear short/ankle-high socks instead. All the men sitting around, all of whom were wearing white socks with all different colored sneakers I noted, piped up and said, "Those are for girls." With which sentiment I concurred. What are the views, if any, from the fashionistas on the Lounge?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Are the sneakers high tops? If so, the low tennis-type socks disappear into the shoe and you seem to be sockless. I am Canadian so the de facto sock of my tribe is the wool sock, the kind you make sock monkies out of, with the white top and toe and red stripe. It actually breathes and is not as hot as you'd imagine, at least not quite. It does give you a very cool curl of grey/white/red wool at the top of your shoe/boot.

White socks with shorts is preferable to black, I think, no matter what shoe you're wearing.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
White socks are athletic socks, sneakers are athletic footwear....forget that lady and stick to the white sox and sneakers.

Salv

One Too Many
It's probably just me, but khaki shorts and Campers should be worn with no socks or, if you must wear socks, what the Brits call trainer socks
HZ27_1_zoom.jpg

I think this is what Jake was referring to.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Huh... I've just discovered the joys of black athletic socks. All of the comfort and casualness of white socks, without the tackiness. It's not Gothy at all, just actually looks nice. I hate ankle socks with a passion, the tops of my shoe are higher than the sock, and so I get some rubbage I could do without, plus they show leg skin when I walk.

Black athletic socks are the same as white athletic socks, only they just look so much better with black shoes.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Short socks girly? Na, not always. It is popular among the girlies(especially teenage girlies) but I've seen guys wear 'em. I used to but personally didn't like them. My brother wears them, they arn't bad. *shrugs*

Hah, this is a bit of cultural clash, i'm afraid. Ceratinly in britain, and i think the rest of northern europe, white socks with anything other than a complete athletic get-up (shorts, sports shirt - actually playing sports!) is a no-no.

When i came here i was scoffed at for wearing dark socks to play sports. Apparently that's what old men do, and only old men. I still do it. Just can't bring myself to wear white socks with dark shoes. Far too Michael Jackson (think thriller) for my taste.

bk

Naama

Practically Family
No matter what you do, don't wear those short socks! Those look horrible! I don't know, but I think you can wear the white socks. But I just love the combination of black and white!, so maybe you shouldn't listen to what I say [huh] But DON'T wear those short socks!

Naama

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Adam,

My dear wife has brought a mess of clothing back from Germany where she has kin. They had the best looking uniforms but beyond that I'd say their sense of style is "idiosyncratic". A suit & its accoutrements follow certain rules but everything else is "dress down" and I suppose would follow local custom.

The late, great Johnny Russell:

"No we don't fit in with that white col-lar crowd
We're a lit-tle too row-dy and a little too loud
There's no place that I'd rath-er be than right here
With my red-necks white socks and blue rib-bon beer"

m

Zach R.

Practically Family
What is the prejudice you guys(and gals) have with short socks?

Sure, the "no-show" socks look a little tacky, but ankle socks don't look bad, in my opinion:

ANKLE-SOCK.jpg

They pretty much end where normal tube socks would when they are all bunched up anyway, and IMO look better.

Granted, they only really work with shorts, with long pants I'd say long socks all the way.

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
I don' think europeans wear the white athletic shoes unless they are actually in competition, so it looks strange to them. Short white ankle socks with athletic shoes are the way to wear them if you are a young American. If you wear the tall white socks. even scrunched down, they look like ladies 80's leg warmers. Short socks are best with shorts. Short black socks are ok, but no one in America wears them unless you are mid 1990's Michael Jordan in a game.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only trouble is, Pops was 5'-2" and I'm six feet tall. Apart from that minor detail, we're built almost alike. I could wear his old suit when I was in high school, although the sleeves and the trousers were too short. Mom actually let out the trouser legs for me, but not much could be done with the jacket. Now that's a picture I need to dig up. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Zach R. said:
What is the prejudice you guys(and gals) have with short socks?

Sure, the "no-show" socks look a little tacky, but ankle socks don't look bad, in my opinion:

ANKLE-SOCK.jpg

They pretty much end where normal tube socks would when they are all bunched up anyway, and IMO look better.

Granted, they only really work with shorts, with long pants I'd say long socks all the way.

I think those are totally different then the shorter ones that everyone is griping about....

Those are ok...the ones that dont even hit ankle bone...not ok....

:p

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Golf

My mother called those short sox "footies."

BUT.

Every time I cannot escape playing golf, all the men are wearing short white sox with their golf shoes. They are just visible over the tops of the shoe.

Shorter sox mean no dorky tan line part way up the calf. I think they're perfectly OK unless they have the little white pompom ball at the back. :)

Black sox with sneakers is for the Bob Evans set.

ortega76

Practically Family
Hannigan Reilly said:
I don' think europeans wear the white athletic shoes unless they are actually in competition, so it looks strange to them. Short white ankle socks with athletic shoes are the way to wear them if you are a young American. If you wear the tall white socks. even scrunched down, they look like ladies 80's leg warmers. Short socks are best with shorts. Short black socks are ok, but no one in America wears them unless you are mid 1990's Michael Jordan in a game.

I do black no-show socks with my black Chuck Taylor low tops or the like. It has all the benefits of wearing a sock while looking like you are going sockless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran