Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Style Icons?

Haversack

One Too Many
George Saunders, now there is a voice. My first memory of hearing it was as the voice of the tiger, Shere Khan in _The Jungle Book_. Suave, cultured menace. Sanders also nailed Charles II in both _Forever Amber_ and _The King's Thief_. Suave, slightly bored, and nobody's fool.

As to Round-the-corner Smith, I'll have to dredge my memory as well as pick that of my mother. My dad was the main respository of Smith stories and he's been gone four years Labour Day. Some of them involved my grandparents and father visting Smith's house in L.A. during the 1930s and my father getting the intimedating benefit of Smith's eye. He was a stickler for proper dress. (So was my grandfather)

Haversack.

BegintheBeguine said:
Wow, Haversack, those are some fine gents. Robert Hardy is in one of my favorite weird movies, Psychomania, with another gentleman, George Sanders. He reads some books onto tape that my public library owns.
Cricket stories, are they, about Smith? Please do tell.

Wasn't George Sander Gay Falcon from 1941-1943 as well? There was a well dressed guy whose head turned everytime a dame went by in that character role. :p

Regards,

J

Haversack

One Too Many
jamespowers wrote: "Wasn't George Sander Gay Falcon from 1941-1943"

That's right. He also played Simon Templar in several of The Saint movies of the same era.

Haversack.

Haversack said:
jamespowers wrote: "Wasn't George Sander Gay Falcon from 1941-1943"

That's right. He also played Simon Templar in several of The Saint movies of the same era.

Haversack.

Simon Templar? Now how did I miss that. He would be much better than Roger Moore. I have to find a copy of one of those episodes with him in it so I can check it out.
I forget who took over the Falcon series after he left but I remember him. :D

regards,

J

BegintheBeguine said:
Tom Conway played the Falcon's brother in the last episode with Sanders. I think. George Sanders was also friends with David Niven. I don't know as much about Tom Conway as I'd like to, however. Have to do something about that.

I thought so. It must have been quite a shock to the audience back then. He's the brother---no, he's Falcon.

Regards,

J

First, I gotta warn everybody that the list is long and varied.

Foundation my mind's built on ("systems architecture"):
The series-101 and -850 models of Terminator. Cold, calculating, utterly relentless in pursuit of an objective--nothing but brutal, inhuman, mechanical precision.

General overall style: a blend of
Douglas MacArthur: The reluctant "warrior intellectual" who's very good at what he does, but fervently wishes to see a day when men like him are no longer necessary, and only real want is to get what has to be done over with so he can focus his life on his loved ones.
and Robert McCall (Edward Woodward), The Equalizer: A man haunted by a dark past, but uses the skills gained from that past to protect those who need his help. (Think "retired James Bond".)

More specific influences in particular areas:
George Patton: Like Patton, there is a definite streak in my personality that just wants to be pointed at the enemy and unleashed.

Certain fictional Presidents, as depicted by Bill Pullman (Independence Day) and Harrison Ford (Air Force One): Gotta admire a CinC who's ready to personally strap into a fighter and lead the force confronting a threat, or personally toss a hijacker off his plane and play a major role in helping get himself out of trouble...

James Earl Jones: Quiet, refined and low profile, but when it's time, delivering the "Voice of God". I wish my vocal capabilities were even a quarter of his...

The tyrannosaur in Jurassic Park: Major bad news when threatened, as the response comes with a fury that defies comprehension. (Anyone who knows predator behavior would tell you that if it had really been trying, Dr. Grant and the kids woulda been toast.)

Mack Bolan (Don Pendleton's Executioner): The quintessential black-bag professional, but one whose loyalties lie first and foremost with his conscience and those he cares about.

Col. John 'Hannibal' Smith (George Peppard), The A-Team: "I love it when a plan comes together..." *lighting cigar* 'Nuff said, I love that line.

John McLane (Bruse Willis), Die Hard: The problem magnet, who always seems to be having a REALLY bad day and yet still finds a way to make things work out in the end.

Jeff Goldblum's characters in Jurassic Park and Independence Day: SOME geek had to make the list...

Darth Vader: Every so often, ya just gotta wish you could "reach out and touch someone"...

Steve

Practically Family
For me, Cary Grant's sense of self-possession and self-confidence is what I'm after. His dress code would be mine also, if I could but afford it.
Followed by that is Bogart's snappy comeback. I wish I could deliver wit the way he could.
Other than that, there are certain things I see and want to emulate in many different stars and people, too many to list.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Cary Grant - Suave and sophisticated both on screen and off......Although I was never a fan of his choice of hats, perhaps it was the bashing job done on them..He always seemed to look best without a lid to me.

Fred Astaire - From Top Hat, White Tie and Tails to casual fare, he is a timeless example of taste and elegance, again both on screen and off. Take a glance at the "Fred Astaire Style" book by G. Bruce Boyer for a nice, albeit small, collection of photos of Fred sporting the look that only he could....Dashing to say the least!

Humphrey Bogart - When most people think of "vintage", I believe Bogart comes to mind first.....Great hats throughout the entirety of his career, the white dinner jacket and trench from Casablanca, probably THE icon of the "Golden Era".

Perry Mason & Paul Drake (Raymond Burr & William Hopper) - The whole Perry Mason TV series was GREAT, IMO.....Burr was never without a suit and tie, always looking every inch the sophisticated, well dressed lawyer he portrayed; William Hopper played Perry's Private Detective, Paul Drake, who was also very stylish, typically wearing sport coats, but always with a touch of panache.

Jim Backus (Thurston Howell III) - This guy had an outstanding hat and outfit for EVERY occasion.....Although the show, Gilligan's Island, was shot in the mid 60's, Backus' character dressed in a timeless, very sophisticated manner. Definitely not a Yale man, Harvard all the way...LOL!!!!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My style icons

Tintin. The utter resourcefulness and determination. Cool plus-fours, too. His problem is his asexuality - well, not a problem for him, but I wouldn't want that.

Bogart. Has everything else and more. Especially in In A Lonely Place.

Sure, Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. He looked great as a teacher. However, the one time I have done archaeology, it wasn't fun at all, just digging in the hot sun for a month in Israel, slathered with a quarter inch layer of suntan lotion, bug spray, crushed bugs, sweat, and dirt -- quite disgusting. No swinging from vines, etc. No Nazis. Not much treasure.

HANSOLOJONES

New in Town
Sean Connery- To me, the one and only Bond.

Clint Eastwood- Liked his style in Dirty Harry the best

Harrison Ford- Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Rick Deckard

Michael Keaton-As Batman/Bruce Wayne

High Regards,
HSJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo