Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Are Your Style Icons?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I did a quick search and didn't find anything precisely like this; forgive me if there is, but I am curious, from both men and women, as to who are your style icons, who are those people that you have adapted all or part of thier wardrobe, style, habits, or possessions?

For me:
Cary Grant - The essence of style and sophistication; James Bond without the violence; grace and poise; the perfect gray suit with a white shirt and gray tie; and that voice. His walk was like a dance, as if the firmament were propelling him.

Ernest Hemingway - A bull charging through life; my first introduction to tweed and guayaberas; the safari look; strength, composure, and the thing I took most from him is his sense of interior design (minus the animal heads -those things are expensive!)

Sean Connery (as James Bond) - The hair (when he had hair!); the perfect tuxedo that still looks appropriate today; the 'Godlfinger Suit' (God Bless Magnoli!); The only James Bond to wear jeans and sing -in the same moment; the sense of danger; the voice; the only Bond to wear a hat in a nonformal wear situation (Roger Moore carried a hat, but didn't wear it); the confidence.

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones - The reluctant man of action; moving easily from academia to deep jungles; the articulate scholar who is not afraid to mix it up. Dr Jones is his alter-ego; the glasses go on and the persona softens.

Gene Kelly - the consumate dancer; danced so well, he made it seems as if you could do it, as if his motion could somehow buoy you; he seemed as if he could go from the ballroom to the bar room without skipping a beat and if a fight went down, he would probably be the last fellow standing; the light pants and tight polo shirts or light pants and button-up shirts with sweater vests; I took many of my casual looks from him.

Humphrey Bogart - He was short, his head was too large, he was funny looking, he had a speech impediment, yet he may be the coolest man that ever lived. The intensity; those fierce penetrating eyes; the sense of conflict in his face as his mouth tensed, his eyes seemingly reading words projected before him, words that only he could see; the rakish tilt of his hat; the Burberry overcoat; standing in the rain in "The Barefoot Contessa" wearing the same outfit as Rick in "Casablanca" but older, sadder, and more resolute.

David, the Duke of Windsor - The smell of waxed cotton and the protection a Barbour affords; the country look; the tough luxory of a Harris Tweed sportcoat; regimental stripe ties; Panama Hats; Brigg Umbrellas; Argyle socks and sweaters; club ties; blue blazers; many of my looks come from him: Blue blazer, white shirt, red striped tie, tan dress pants (often substituted with khakis) and tan dress shoes. Country shoes, argyles, moleskin pants, tattersail shirts, club tie, and a tweed jacket, perhaps with a Barbour over it.

So, these are mine, or at least those that I can remember at this hour. I would love to hear about yours...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Styling myself after Barney Fife will hopefully yield this reward....

knotts15.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
James Bond(Sean Connery and the books)-Love the suits, ties, gun-metal ciaggarete case, smoothness, skills (combat etc.), job.

The Count of Monte Cristo-mannerism, way of holding himself, worldlness, his corvette (small ship), and island are so cool.
John Steed-cars, mannerism, apartment, education, job, smoothness
Steve McQueen-dress (Bullit), rides, and philocphy
Howard Hughes -dress, buissness sense, planes, ideas.

That's it I think.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
green papaya said:
John Wayne
William Holden
Edward G. Robinson
Great choices. What did you get from each?

Mycroft said:
James Bond(Sean Connery and the books)-Love the suits, ties, gun-metal ciaggarete case, smoothness, skills (combat etc.), job.

The Count of Monte Cristo-mannerism, way of holding himself, worldlness, his corvette (small ship), and island are so cool.
John Steed-cars, mannerism, apartment, education, job, smoothness
Steve McQueen-dress (Bullit), rides, and philosophy
Howard Hughes -dress, buissness sense, planes, ideas.

That's it I think.
John Steed is a great one. They tailored those Pierre Cardin suits to him perfectly.
Howard Hughes is another excellent choice, or at least the young HH. He had a casual elegance.

Lauren Henline said:
Myrna Loy, Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, and for 50's, Audrey Hepburn.
Lauren, What did you get from each? What about them inspired you? You have wonderful poise, as I saw on the ship, and I think it is impossible to take a bad photo of you. You certainly have your vintage look down.

As for Biltmore and Quigley, I'm just going to ignore you two and maybe you'll go away.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Great choices. What did you get from each?

John Steed is a great one. They tailored those Pierre Cardin suits to him perfectly.
Howard Hughes is another excellent choice, or at least the young HH. He had a casual elegance.

Lauren, What did you get from each? What about them inspired you? You have wonderful poise, as I saw on the ship, and I think it is impossible to take a bad photo of you. You certainly have your vintage look down.

As for Biltmore and Quigley, I find it monstrously impolite to ridicule a topic that I feel is perfectly appropriate for this board. I am very disappointed in you guys.

Yea, no one wants to go mad, that I know of like HH. :p :p :p

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nick Charles said:
William Powell, Dick Powell, Bud Abbott, Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, and even Lou Costello
William Powell is an excellent choice and I have always thought Bud Abbott had great fedoras; he always wore them tilted on his head. Bing Crosby had a certain casual class, with those fine cardigans. I'd love to hear what has inspired you about Lou!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft said:
Yea, no one wants to go mad, that I know of like HH. :p :p :p
Poor HH. Had he lived now he probably could have been cured. What a sad prison his life became; to degenerate into such a passionate, daring and brilliant man, into a disshevelled freak-show! It's sad.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Poor HH. Had he lived now he probably could have been cured. What a sad prison his life became; to degenerate into such a passionate, daring and brilliant man, into a disshevelled freak-show! It's sad.

They resently discovered it may have been caused by Syphilus, but back to icons, since I though of another: Sherlock Holmes-smart, calm under fire, well rounded, and aventuring. I love his suits, like the ones and his alpine hats, such as the ones with Jeremy Bret has.

hatflick1

Practically Family
ICON

Jack Nicholson. I'm still searching for the off-yellow blazer he wore in 'Prizzi's Honor'.
Ralph Lauren. Who sells expensive menswear but himself wears great thrift shop and flea market finds.
Robert Ryan tied with Lee Marvin. Both exemplified the WWII male lost in a post-war, consumptive America.
Spiro Agnew. Who actually had the hutzpah to use the phrase 'nattering nabob of negativism'.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
As for Biltmore and Quigley, I'm just going to ignore you two and maybe you'll go away.

In all honesty I like wearing salt & pepper suits and bowties. And guess where I got the inspiration? Yup, watching the Andy Griffith Show. And that's the TRUTH! I think he had great style when he wasn't wearing his uniform.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hemingway Jones said:

Wow! What lovely compliments! It is quite possible to take a bad photo of me, as Matt Deckard did, but I had him promptly delete them!

Let's see...

Myrna Loy: Kind of a defiant sexuality. A lady, but with an attitude. A good woman, but not the stereotype. Her wardrobe could be outlandish, but never overpowering her. She knew how to wear an evening gown. In all of her clothes, you saw her. She was one of the most stunning women in a suit ever. And she wore the BEST hats.

Katharine Hepburn: Individualistic. She dressed in trousers because she liked trousers. She wore her hair more natural, but never looked frumpy. She knew how to play with the boys, but she always looked like a lady. If one woman would had the everyday wardrobe I would wear, it would be Kate. And the sharp tounge of hers will always make an exellent addition to any wardrobe. She looked good in wool and button down shirts, but she never looked manly. She made flats sexy.

Ginger Rogers: Sporty. She as well could run with the boys, but she was always definately a female. She could wear short skirts and swimsuits but never look out of place, like she was trying too hard, or flaunting her body. She was cute! She was a great dancer and wore some of the most gorgeous gowns to grace the screen. Her everyday outfits were sensible but extrememly stylish. She was never overtly sexy, but she left you guessing. She could pinpoint a topic in just a few sly words, with a tilt of the head and a half-smile.

Audrey Hepburn: she was elegant. She was childlike, but lady-like. She was thin like me in a world of curvy hourglass 50's silhouettes. If I ever could pull off a 50's look, I would have to go for Audrey. The 50's won't suit me otherwise. Her clothing in Sabrina and Roman Holiday are to die for. They don't seem grown up, but they're definately not for teeneagers. Her eyes were absolutely inspiring. She knew how to hold herself, to walk and speak with elegance.

So there it is :) To me style is so much more than putting clothes on a body. It has to do with the inner you, the person you are expressing through the clothes. I believe I am a miss-mash of all these women, so it's fun to pick and choose elements.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
I see that you edited your original comments and toned down your insults. In all honesty I like wearing salt & pepper suits and bowties. And guess where I got the inspiration? Yup, watching the Andy Griffith Show. And that's the TRUTH! I think he had great style when he wasn't wearing his uniform. Do you want me to take a lie detector test or something?
Sorry about that Old Sport. Sometimes you can't hit the edit button fast enough! I suppose I should have put more thought into that, so please allow me to publically apologize.
Sincerely,
HJ

BTW, Quigley, I meant it as a chastizement, not as an insult. I would never intentionally insult someone. I'll be more careful in the future.

Wild Root

Gone Home
James Stewart. He's who I like to pattern my style after. The early Stewart that is, not the 50's and 60's Stewart. The 39-47 Jimmy is who I shoot for!

Don Knotts had some style! I love his look in the Andy Griffith show! Even though it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a late 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suit he has, it still looks 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! Salt & Pepper suits rule!!! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d love to get a nice 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s salt and pepper some time!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo