Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do you RESPECT most?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The Few

0900913460.jpg

My respect goes to the 2553 young men from Great Britain and 574 young men from other countries who - as "the Few" - stood up and stopped the nazi reich during the Battle of Britain.

And I honour the 544 who lost their lives doing that.

I don't know who's precisely "top" of my list, but I'd say the Doolittle Raiders are well up there--went on a one-way trip, endured bailouts, for some long swims, and others Commie or Japanese imprisonment, and still don't think what they did was really anything heroic. All that courage, and modest to boot...

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Lincsong said:
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George Patton
Henry Ford
Perry Como
Milton Friedman
Calvin Coolidge
Hiram Fong
William Rehnquist
Byron White
Antonin Scalia
Clarence Thomas
Chester Nimitz
Douglas MacArthur
Howard Jarvis
S.I. "Sam" Hayakawa
Walt Disney
Walter Hewlett
David Packard

The top three on your list and most of the rest would be on my list too.

I'm a little suprised that jamespowers wasn't on your list. I thought, from reading some of your other posts that he was sort of like a hero to you.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
J.S.Udontknowme said:
The top three on your list and most of the rest would be on my list too.

I'm a little suprised that jamespowers wasn't on your list. I thought, from reading some of your other posts that he was sort of like a hero to you.

Actually it's the other way around, I'm jamespowers hero. :D

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Marlon Brando. I know he was a flake, but he lived his life the way he wanted to and honestly did not give a damn what other people thought about it or how it might hurt his career. I think that takes a great deal of courage.

cgab

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'll also agree with Jesus Christ.
I have a great deal of respect for the Marines that I work with. They have a very difficult job in the Corps and they do it with grace, reverence, and respect for the fallen that they prepare for the journey home. And every one of them volunteered for the duty.
There are many figures also in history that I respect for their courage, and their perserverence. Too many to list here.
Aside from Christ though, my greatest respect and admiration goes to my husband. I can honestly say he is one of my heros. He is a shining example to me of courage, commitment, leadership, and dedication. I am honored to be able to call him my husband and I am grateful that he has sacrificed so much to provide for me.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
ADM Jeremy "Mike" Boorda. Started out as a PNSN and made it all the way to CNO. Publish a bio, and I'll speak for a copy; I served under him on active duty. The's every bit the modern version of Omar Bradley, a blue shirt's Admiral.

Others:

Ronald Reagan
Baroness Thatcher

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Ronald Reagan
John Adams
Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Pope John Paul II
Winston Churchill
Margaret Thatcher
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George S. Patton
Douglas MacArthur
Charles Carroll of Carrollton
George Shultz
Lyn Nofziger
Jimmy Stewart
George C. Marshall
Abraham Lincoln

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jesus
Martin Luther King Jr
Gandhi
Phillip Yancey, author
John Curtin, WW2 Australian Prime Minister
Mother Teresa
Alan Dale, pioneering Australian performer of the 1950s

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Going to clean up my list a bit as I hadn't even remembered filling it out:

To stick solely with the Golden Age:

Audie Murphy
The Bielski brothers (not picking 1)
Paul Newman, not a war-hero like above, but for for his charity work as well as being, as far as I know, one of the most grounded men in Hollywood. Wanted to include a non-war hero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy