Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do you RESPECT most?

Chas

One Too Many
Alfred Kinsey is also very worthy of respect. Kept on target, stayed true to the idea that science's true purpose was for the benefit of mankind.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Tommy Fedora said:
I had a few hero's when I was a young boy, and most of them let me down as I grew older. In the end they were revealed to be, well, just human.

But there were two that were true to the end and never let me down and both just happen to be old time cowboys. Roy Rogers was one. He was always the good guy, the family man. The other was William Boyd, the actor who played Hopaling Cassidy. When he took the role and saw that the kids were looking up to him he cleaned up his life so he could be a proper role model.

At an appearance at a large retail department store he found out that the manager only let the kids who bought something in line for his autograph...so he promply punched him out ! My kind of guy. True to the end.

Since you brought up the cowboys. I'd have to say Clayton Moore! He lived the role model thing for kids. I believe he once said that the "mask made him a better man." Because he realized what an influence he was on kids. He lived the role.

[YOUTUBE]KhB4kDwZu7M[/YOUTUBE]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Derek WC said:
And speaking of grenades, this one man in World War II, who kept on throwing grenades off until one took his hand with them.

One of the men my grandfather served with lost both hands while performing his duties in bomb-disposal. The thing that makes him particularly admirable, to me, is that until about a year ago, he was still tanning hides and sewing leather clothing, writing letters and did all his own housekeeping. Awe-inspiring.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lone_Ranger said:
Since you brought up the cowboys. I'd have to say Clayton Moore! He lived the role model thing for kids. I believe he once said that the "mask made him a better man." Because he realized what an influence he was on kids. He lived the role.

[YOUTUBE]KhB4kDwZu7M[/YOUTUBE]

That video cracked me up! lol :eusa_clap

That was great!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bartender Note

We are an international forum with members all over the globe. It's one of our great strengths. We say this often because we are very proud of it.

It is perhaps quite difficult for the very young to understand the depth and breadth of the still-open wounds left by Axis aggression a half century ago. The story of the 20th Century is one of blood. Oceans of it, and mountains of corpses. Whole nations of shattered lives, generations of want and ill health. We are far, far from being free of the lingering effects of the Second World War. The bombs of that war still take lives today.
We want to be quite clear. In these pages and forums, the legacy of the Axis Powers is 100% EVIL. There are to be no split hairs here, no debates about positive accomplishments or "respect" for any Axis authority figure at any level.

As collectors and re-enactors, we can discuss, within sensitive limits, kit, uniforms, materiel, etc. And we certainly can and should discuss the history of it all. But we do NOT find any of it glamourous, respectable, noble.

Please remember always that your words are read by all sides of the story. The children and grandchildren of those who were THERE post here; the descendants of resistance fighters, those who perished in the mushroom clouds, who bled on the beaches at Normandy, who retreated across Siberia, who were slaughtered in the name of the Son of Heaven, who died in the gas chambers or who carried the tattoo that marked them for death until old age.
Here in these forums, the dignity of those who suffered at the hands of Axis Aggression will be respected. The perpetrators will NOT.

All such discussions and postings are subject to heavy bartender editing if needed.

Undertow

scotrace said:
We are an international forum with members all over the globe. It's one of our great strengths. We say this often because we are very proud of it...
Please remember always that your words are read by all sides of the story...
Here in these forums, the dignity of those who suffered at the hands of Axis Aggression will be respected. The perpetrators will NOT...
All such discussions and postings are subject to heavy bartender editing if needed.

Quite right. I was approaching the subject from the luxury of a removed, bookworm perspective - as distant and naive as it was. Perhaps my comments should have been born to another medium, but in any case I apologize to any affected. And also thank you to the 'tenders for the opportunities to improve weaknesses throughout the chain.

Derek WC

Banned
scotrace said:
We are an international forum with members all over the globe. It's one of our great strengths. We say this often because we are very proud of it.

It is perhaps quite difficult for the very young to understand the depth and breadth of the still-open wounds left by Axis aggression a half century ago. The story of the 20th Century is one of blood. Oceans of it, and mountains of corpses. Whole nations of shattered lives, generations of want and ill health. We are far, far from being free of the lingering effects of the Second World War. The bombs of that war still take lives today.
We want to be quite clear. In these pages and forums, the legacy of the Axis Powers is 100% EVIL. There are to be no split hairs here, no debates about positive accomplishments or "respect" for any Axis authority figure at any level.

As collectors and re-enactors, we can discuss, within sensitive limits, kit, uniforms, materiel, etc. And we certainly can and should discuss the history of it all. But we do NOT find any of it glamourous, respectable, noble.

Please remember always that your words are read by all sides of the story. The children and grandchildren of those who were THERE post here; the descendants of resistance fighters, those who perished in the mushroom clouds, who bled on the beaches at Normandy, who retreated across Siberia, who were slaughtered in the name of the Son of Heaven, who died in the gas chambers or who carried the tattoo that marked them for death until old age.
Here in these forums, the dignity of those who suffered at the hands of Axis Aggression will be respected. The perpetrators will NOT.

That was marvelous. :eusa_clap

I have read many books on the subject and asked many men who lived through the great war, and I certainly do not glamorize it, it was a terrible thing that had happened.

I offer my apology if I offended anybody by saying that I respect Stalin, although I did not think anybody would think anything of it.

If I should have not posted this, please, have it removed.

Undertow

MisterCairo said:
Stephen Hawking, the theoretical physicist?

lol I don't see this was ever resolved...

Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan, both, were/are quite amazing. I've always been fascinated with Hawking's take on the multiverse. Has anyone seen his discussion on why we should not solicit aliens? Very interesting!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
One of the men my grandfather served with lost both hands while performing his duties in bomb-disposal. The thing that makes him particularly admirable, to me, is that until about a year ago, he was still tanning hides and sewing leather clothing, writing letters and did all his own housekeeping. Awe-inspiring.

He passed away last week. There are so few of that generation left!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran