Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Who Doesn't want to look like Marilyn"Nina's in the UK

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the interesting article.

No, I never wanted to look like Marilyn. I agree with the gal in the article that said she was more into Jane Russell. I agree. I was a little girl when I saw them, but thought Russell was more intriguing and funny and just as sexy.

Also thought Rita Hayworth was sexier than Monroe. It may have been the "little girl" persona Marilyn exhibited in her films -- intriguing, and I couldn't take my eyes off her, but Rita was drop-dead sexy.

karol

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
On the note of vintage hair, does anyone notice how women back in the golden era were always at the beauty parlor, getting thier hair coifed and then wear it that way until they did it again? Does anyone actually do this today? It dosn't seem like a bad idea...

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SarahB said:
I went to Nina last week and she is fabulous! I had my long hair chopped into a pageboy and I love it. It's really great having a place like that to go as the regular highstreet hair salons don't really understand what you want when you ask for a retro style. Her prices are very reasonable and it's great that she is getting all of this press attention. I'm booked in for colour next month :)
Did you post pictures elsewhere and I miss them, by chance? If not, may we see pictures? The new 'do sounds yummy!
Gals did not wash their hair often, up until the 60s and 70s! (My in-laws still don't but they don't utilize the services of a beauty parolor, yuck.) Anyway, it must be something in the water or air, as my scalp gets horrid if I don't wash my hair every couple days, which angers me because the rest of my hair still looks fab. Darn dry hair and oily scalp.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I never wear anything besides a bra, unless it is winter, then I might wear socks. :eek:
Ok, what that brings to mind is wrong on so many levels! Please accept my apology! :eusa_doh:

One of my clearest memories from childhood is watching my mother smoke a cigarette as she stood looking out the kitchen window. Her hair was done in long flowing curls, she was wearing a tailored grey suit, and her lipstick was a rosy red. She was waiting for my grandmother so they could 'go to the grocery'. She'd never have considered going out looking like she just crawled out of bed.
She still has elegant handwriting (whatever happened to pensmanship?). Funny the things we remember...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Who did I want to look like when I was young? Not Marilyn, she was too much the sex goddess. And she died much too young.

When I was in my early teens, I wanted to look like Doris Day. In my late teens, I wanted to look like Kim Novak.

In my early twenties, I wanted to look like Ingrid Bergman. In my late twenties, I wanted to look like Ursula Andress.

In my early thirties, I wanted to look like myself, but wanted that perfect Jane Fonda shag. In my mid-to-late thirties, I wanted my hair to look like Stevie Nicks' hairdo.

I haven't wanted to look like anybody else, since then, but would like to be a decent weight so I look good as who I am.

karol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm training my hair to go longer. I amnow up to 4 days, but the 4th day is in a bandana due to greasiness. But my friend, very into 60s bouffants in her early 20s and now 40s dos in her late started way before me, and now only washes once a week, and so her coiff stays in all week long.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
NicolettaRose said:
On the note of vintage hair, does anyone notice how women back in the golden era were always at the beauty parlor, getting thier hair coifed and then wear it that way until they did it again? Does anyone actually do this today? It dosn't seem like a bad idea...

When I was in beauty school, most of our customers did this. I spent a year doing roller sets and pin curls. The key to having it done once a week is the perm. These ladies got a tight perm every 3 months. Permed hair (not naturally curly) will hold a set much longer than either naturally straight or naturally curly hair. The other key is constant teasing (back combing) and hairspray. It also makes a difference if you set the hair and sit under a bonnet dryer vs. let it dry naturally. The heat helps the set stay.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Yeah, I'd love to go to the hairdressers once a week and then keep it in - a shampoo and set, like grans do.

I used to work in a library too, before I started university. Is it just me or are we an over-represented demographic on this forum? ;)

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Ada Veen said:
Yeah, I'd love to go to the hairdressers once a week and then keep it in - a shampoo and set, like grans do.

I used to work in a library too, before I started university. Is it just me or are we an over-represented demographic on this forum? ;)

I worked in a library as well. Not for long, but I did work there. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once every two weeks!

When my hair was past my waist I would only wash it semimonthly. I would wash the hairbrush instead! It did help keep the ends from splitting into tiny pieces.
For all those gals who can't find a "retro" stylist - go to the old lady stylist! They still do all the do's we love, and know how to cut for them. They would probably enjoy having pretty young things to work on too. I have friends here in the Bay Area who do that with great results. And we do have modern salons that do retro here of course.
I have a hair salon on my corner that specializes in Black ladies' hair, and I am thinking of having them set my pincurls for me (since I am a pincurl dope)- it would probably take about 10 minutes for them as they do it a lot. I have seen some gorgeous marcels coming out of there!

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Nina's Hair Parlour...

Just wanted to big up Nina on here.....

If any of you girls happen to be in London near Waterloo, she is the only vintage hair parlour in London (if not the UK), she works wonders and understand exactly what you want.... No Tony and Guy razor cuts here!!!

Check her out at:-

http://www.ninasvintageandretrohair.com/page_1188379364593.html

She also does lessons too....

Thought some of you might be interested, appologies if this has already been posted... I did a search but it didn't come up with anything. :)

*Doh, how strange didn't see the Marilyn thread on here...... Glad someone moved it for me :)*

Antje

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
When my hair was past my waist I would only wash it semimonthly. I would wash the hairbrush instead! It did help keep the ends from splitting into tiny pieces.
For all those gals who can't find a "retro" stylist - go to the old lady stylist! They still do all the do's we love, and know how to cut for them. They would probably enjoy having pretty young things to work on too. I have friends here in the Bay Area who do that with great results. And we do have modern salons that do retro here of course.
I have a hair salon on my corner that specializes in Black ladies' hair, and I am thinking of having them set my pincurls for me (since I am a pincurl dope)- it would probably take about 10 minutes for them as they do it a lot. I have seen some gorgeous marcels coming out of there!

Your tottaly right, I work in a salon with all ages, but there are a lot of my coleges who don't like doing perms, settings, pincurls ect.

I love doing it, but we only have older women who wear those styles, so mostely theyre my clients

I sometimes go to work with vintage hairstyles (mostely roles) and they really like it.
esspecialy the older ladies, you get al the great comments about them wearing my style when they were young.

I always hope I can give a younger girl (not only the real old people) pincurls or something but till now no one ever asked for it

Antje

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic