Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who got the oldest computer-contest! ;-)

DNO

One Too Many
Power Mac G4 from 2005...still going strong. I've replaced the battery a couple of times though. My primary computer, however, is a 2010 MacBook Pro...it's a lot easier to open and repair than the G4.

First one I used was a Commodore PET at work...no hard drive, no disc drive...and it took at least 5 minutes to save anything to the external tape drive. More a novelty than useful.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Here we go: A 1997 Power Macintosh 9600 (200 MHz PowerPC) and a 1999 iMac (333 MHz PowerPC G3):

IMG_0707.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Do phones count? My first real cell phone was a 1996 Alcatel, still got it, got two actually, I bought one for my missus at the same time. Phone, text and that's about it. Sim the size of a credit card, all on analogue.
Alcatel.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My first computer was a 386SX given to me for Christmas by my mother in 1991 as I'd started university that fall.

I still have it, though not the dot matrix printer (four-colour ribbon!). I am trying to set it up to see if it still works.

It has all the mod-cons, including BOTH 3.5 and 5.25 disk drives!

I finally plugged it in and, it works!

Sadly, it thinks it is new out of the box, and wants me to out on the boot disk. Of anyone out there has a Microsystems boot disk, either 3.5 or 5 inch, let me know...

The Compaq Presario (Pentium III 500 Mhz) is still going strong. Now 23 years.
Got a new Acer monitor for it, of course good old VGA-connection! ;)

Toshiba Notebook nearly 11 years (January).

Playstation I 24 years.

Brother laser printer 8 1/2 years.

Edward

Bartender
Here we go: A 1997 Power Macintosh 9600 (200 MHz PowerPC) and a 1999 iMac (333 MHz PowerPC G3):

View attachment 180255 View attachment 180256

I remember first seeing the iMac back during my first few months working here in London. Ads everywhere on the tube. That and the unusual looking laptop version:

1670406898564.png

The iBook was..... not quite as stylish, which probably was why it didn't last. I remember it being compared to a Fisher Price toy. They were revolutionary, though - even if I never touched one or knew anyone that had one (I did once see an adult with an iBook getting on the tube, carrying it by the built-in handle). Prior to that, every computer I can recall seeing was a beige box: the idea that it could look different / be stylish as well was a big change. I also remember being confused by the Mac's lack of an A-drive. How could you possibly gets files on or off it? Six months later, I got my first USB key as a present. Four years or so later, I was issued the first work laptop I had used with no 4.5" diskette drive. The last time I had a work laptop with even a DVD drive must be about a decade ago now. It's amazing how quickly things have shifted. My first work laptop cost the department GBP1,000; it had a CD Rom drive, 32MB RAM and a HDD with 2GB of storage. My current phone handset, bought in 2019, cost GBP139, and far, far outclasses that old laptop's specs.

Bugguy

Practically Family
This topic got me thinking - a dangerous proposition.

I bought my first computer (sort of) in 1974. Actually, I was a hospital radiology administrator and bought one of the first CT (CAT) scanners. It was developed by Electrical and Musical Industry (EMI) and ran on a 'Data General' main frame. EMI was known for running the Abby Road Studio of Beatles recording fame. In fact, some have suggested that revenue from the Beatles helped fund the development of the CT scanner.

It was a beast. Notice the tape drive. This was before the large removable disk packs came into use. I'll bet almost any of the desk top computers you all have been discussing had more computing muscle than this unit. In the end, EMI couldn't compete with GE, Phillips, Siemens et. al. in the medical market.

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 11.11.59 PM.png

Philips DVP 520 DVD Player, now 18 years old. Still going strong.
Medion (ALDI) multi-format DVD player, 16 years old, too!

My old Canoscan LiDE Scanner actually seems to get weak in his electrics. Needs time to wake up. 14 years old!

Luckily already got a new Canoscan LiDE 300 for replacement!! Bought it yesterday. :)

AND yesterday bought my first ever external Harddrive (basic Toshiba). :cool:

My Philips TC 537 vacuum cleaner seemingly decided to outlive all new devices. It's from my Leipzig Grandma and circa 30 years old.
How will Philips earn money with that??

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have an original Sony Discman, the first compact sized CD player. It's still too big to fit in a pocket, but it served me well for years, first with earbuds (hate) and later some small speakers. I still have it. I haven't tried it to see if it still works, though, which might disqualify if from this thread.

Wasted my last 2003s (!) Discman from Tchibo, which had mp3-playing, one or two years ago.

The Philips USB mp3 player (SA 2110) is now 16 years old and serves my fine. Display light is dead, but who needs that?
Even longer battery power!! :)

Stupid as I was back then, I bought the 1 GB, instead the 2 GB. But it's still enough for me.

OIP.YB5iiH1B2iZBokK8x6lATQHaK1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko