Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Perry Como?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Perry Como achieved numerous hit records throughout the world with record sales so high the label literally stopped counting at Como's behest. His weekly television shows and seasonal specials were broadcast throughout the world for which his popularity seemingly had no geographical or language boundaries. He was equally at ease in live performance or in the confines of a recording studio. His appeal spanned generations and he was widely respected for both his professional standards and the conduct of his personal life. In the official RCA Records Billboard Magazine memorial, his life was summed up in these few words: "50 years of music and a life well lived. An example to all."

Well known American composer Ervin Drake said of him, " . . . occasionally someone like Perry comes along and won't "go with the flow" and still prevails in spite of all the bankrupt others who surround him and importune him to yield to their values. Only occasionally."

from wikipedia

So who is today's Perry Como?

moustache

Practically Family
A young Perry Como

Lincsong said:
Perry Como achieved numerous hit records throughout the world with record sales so high the label literally stopped counting at Como's behest. His weekly television shows and seasonal specials were broadcast throughout the world for which his popularity seemingly had no geographical or language boundaries. He was equally at ease in live performance or in the confines of a recording studio. His appeal spanned generations and he was widely respected for both his professional standards and the conduct of his personal life. In the official RCA Records Billboard Magazine memorial, his life was summed up in these few words: "50 years of music and a life well lived. An example to all."

Well known American composer Ervin Drake said of him, " . . . occasionally someone like Perry comes along and won't "go with the flow" and still prevails in spite of all the bankrupt others who surround him and importune him to yield to their values. Only occasionally."

from wikipedia

So who is today's Perry Como?

it is a difficult question.So many young stars have a good voice yet their personal lives are a wreck and they are splashed all over the newsprint like so many tomatoes.
One youngster with a good voice who seems to have kept his life in shape is Josh Groban. Time will tell.
Cannot say i have seen any young ladies with the same credentials.Seems when they start out fine,then they also fall apart.

At one time i would have said Harry Connick Jr.He ,to me,exudes class and is a great talent.

JD

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed

John in Covina said:
Perry Como had a relaxed style that still exuled enthusiam. He would be hard to duplicate in this day and age.

In todays jet age,many just don't have time to relax.This is such a shame.Relaxation and ease are necessary and most people just do NOT take part!!

Well put John!

JD

lindylady

A-List Customer
I agree with Moustache. Josh Groban has the most amazing tenor voice I have ever heard. He also is very low-key when it comes to his personal life. I admire him for how he conducts himself in public, in comparison to his peers (only in age, not talent). This is someone who will go far in his singing career.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not only do many of us lack space on the Filofax or Palm for brain recharge, civilized relaxation has actually become somewhat of a pass?© luxury - a consumption ritual for the cigar-and-martini cult. The average Joe and Jane have to be so On most of the time that nothing but near coma will refresh them. Entertainment meant to mellow will usually just bore. Constant engagament seems to be the call of pop culture, even engagement with something dumb as long as it's loud and shiny.

If we do have a Como analog today, he's probably languishing somewhere, as underexposed as the latter-day Ted Weems figure who might put him on the map.

melvin walker

New in Town
Who is today's Perry Como ?

There will never be anyone to match the easy style and professionalism of a Perry Como , those days are over.
As there will never be a Jimmy Stewart , Fred Astaire , or Cary Grant.
Sinatra in the movie "That's Entertainment" stated " We can wait around and hope but we will never see this again "
The Golden days of entertainers such as Como is gone forever just as the days of the cherry coke , 19 cents a gallon gas , movies for less than a dollar , and men entering a room and taking their hats off.

Como , Sinatra , Cole , Mathis , Williams etc, could stand alone on a stage with only a gitarist and piano and hold an audience in the palms of their hands. No singer can do that today.
We have their records and cd's to enjoy can we ask for more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner