Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your favorite artist?

S

Samsa

With the recent thread on Edward Hopper I thought it would be a good idea to get an idea of Loungers' taste in art. So, do you have any favorite artist in particular? Do you prefer any particular time period? Do you like modern art? (Or, for that matter, do you understand modern art?)

I have always been particularly fond of the artists of Renaissance Italy, as well as the Dutch masters (especially Pieter Bruegel the Elder). I am also quite fond of Van Gogh, especially his landscapes and scenes of rural life. His painting "Banks of the Oise Auvers" has to be my favorite painting - by anyone:

BanksofOiseatAuvers.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes indeed...

Art Frahm! One could stare at those pieces for hours trying to figure out the physics of such surprise "wardrobe failures"! ;)

I also like John Plumer Ludlum followed closely by David Hockney.

-dixon cannon

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Okay, not vintage. But...

Based upon what I have collected, I would have to say George Rodrigue. Found his "Blue Dog" when I was living in New Orleans, but have since become a much bigger fan of his Cajun Landscapes... Although I can only afford litho's, I'm fortunate to own several.

Cheers,

RC

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Couple

Well...
Rafael
Tizian
Velasquez
Rembrandt
Rubens
Hals Frans
Van Dyck
Vermeer
Chardin
Ingres
Goya
Serov Valentin
Leighton
Vrubel Mikhal
Boldini Giovanni
Sorolla, Joaquin
John Singer Sargent
Zorn, Anders
Hodler Ferdinand
Segantini
Akseli Gallen Kallela
Zuloaga Ignacio
Mucha Alphonse
Munnings
Elvgren, Gil
Claude Monet
Lucian Freud

and many-many more

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Where to begin....

Off the top of my head....

Norman Rockwell
rockwell_post_2up.jpg

Salvador Dali
3Salvador-Dali-Premonition-Of-Civil-War.jpg

Alberto Vargas
vargas_gwen_caldwell_t51.jpg

John Held Jr.
27.04.28.JohnHeldJr.jpg

Miguel Covarrubias
05886r.jpg

J.C. Leyendecker
jcl_arrow1929.jpg

Jacques Kapralik
kap1.jpg

Boris Artzybasheff
artzybasheff_war3_l3nov41.jpg

and Arthur Radebaugh
Car_Show_Nude.jpg

Honourable mention goes to master forger Han Van Meegeren
emmaus2.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I already mentioned my enormous love for Hopper and Vermeer on the Hopper thread. I really like some of the other old masters, e.g. - Raphael, Botticelli, Holbein, Rembrandt, Valesquez.

I love all the Impressionists (notably the women, Cassat and Morisot)... I think Manet and Renoir may be my favorites. I dig many of the painters that followed them - Homer, Sargent, Van Gogh, Whistler, Matisse. I'm not crazy about most 20th century art, though I do generally like works by Picasso, Dali, Kahlo, Sheeler, O'Keefe, Magritte, and others.

I always make a point of hitting one or two art museums when traveling, and I'm now up to around 700 painting images grabbed from various gallery sites on my home computer. (These, along with many more posters, movie stills, album covers, and pics by my kids and myself, make quite a show in rotation on my screensaver!)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Midwest Regionalist Grant Wood is mine. I was born and raised in the part of Iowa where he painted in the 1930s. The style and wit of his paintings and murals contained some inside jokes that only us rural Iowans are privy to.

ridgeroad.jpg
[/IMG]

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Unfamiliar with Boris Artzybasheff, but I don't want to be. Neat stuff.

For me, Gustave Dore.
dore.jpg

Delacroix, especially the eastern stuff and the book illustrations.
giaour-hassan.jpg

Ilya Repin, one of my favorite realists, of which I am.
repin71.JPG

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I did my Masters in art history so this is a tricky one for me, but I can narrow it down...

Caravaggio
Artemisia Gentileschi
Edvard Munch
Constantin Brancusi
August Macke
Henry Moore
Len Lye
Max Gimblett

EDIT had to add another, bit obvious but put Pollock in there as well.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That's a dangerous question to ask an Art History major!

Off the top of my head my favorite artists/works of art are:

isenheim.jpg

The Isenheim Altarpiece by Matthias Grünewald, particularly the Resurrection section. Someday I'm going to see this in person.

mahan.jpg

Portrait of Mrs. Edith Mahon by Thomas Eakins. I used to visit this painting weekly when I was in college. I swear you can see this woman thinking when you see the actual work of art, amazing.

the-return-of-the-prodigal-son-remb.jpg

The Return of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt. I'm not usually wild about Rembrandt, but when I was visiting the Hermitage in Russia I turned a corner and saw this painting and I fell in love. The canvas is huge and the father's expression in the actual work of art is so touching.

I also love the work of Robert Henri, George Romney, all those anonyomous artists who painted devotional works circa 1300-1400, Valentin Serov, Howard Pyle and so many more.

PS I did a paper in college on Van Meegeren Charlie H.--I haven't thought of that in years.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Ever since the publication of R.E. Howard's Conan series in paperback in the 70's, Frank Frazetta has been one of my favorites. he did the artwork for the paperback series and captured my imagination completely.

frazetta01.jpg

ffc18.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim! THANKS! His was one of the first names to come to mind for me when making my list for this thread, but he somehow slipped out of my mind unnoticed! I read all of the Kane books, and loved every Frazetta cover!

That first one. Wasn't it (or one similar) on a Molly Hatchet album?

In the same genre, there is also Boris Vallejo!

Lee

Thank you again, Pilgrim!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Charles Perugini
Perugini2.jpg

Alexander Sheridan
SPN4044~River-Cottage-Posters.jpg

John William Waterhouse
waterhs2.jpg

There are more, of course, but I'll limit myself.

Living artist preference is Vettriano:
WDC21825.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24