Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Makes the Best M-422A?

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
I'm an A-2 man from way back, but am currently lusting after the M-422A. Which repro makers make a good one? I prefer a lighter goatskin tending toward russet. This one from Real Mccoy's looks like exactly what the doctor ordered, but price point is a bit high. Thoughts?

therealmccoys-m442-a_zps0eb112cd.jpg

img57554577_zps1652a747.jpg

img57554578_zpsa1a5473e.jpg

img57554579_zps906bb807.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have been very happy with my G&B M-422A... but it is definitely seal brown, not russet. This picture is from when it was new, 7 or 8 years ago (but it looks virtually the same now):

MSGM422A.JPG

I own several WW2 M422's and vintage G1's. The best repro maker is Good Wear.
If you don't want the wait of a Good Wear and can't find one used, I'd recommend, either Gibson and Barnes or Cockpit USA.

Re; Bill Kelso...I own a Bill Kelso M422 W&G repro I purchased a few months ago. Very disappointed in it. The leather is very stiff. Cut is way off. (Too long for the size, baggy across the middle...which M422/s G1's whereas vintage M422's and G1/s are trim fitting.) You can do much better for your money.

Last edited:

767fo

One of the Regulars
Here is a WWII contract John at Good Wear also offers. The Bogen is a great design for someone with wider shoulders and upper back but you have to limit seconds at the buffet it is still a trim jacket :) By far the best repro Navy jacket and A2 for that matter is Good Wear and very much worth the wait. Here are a few detail pics.

3a7d1487dd96243dfca0a9ec2b8133dd.jpg

9e9e7d81362a86a3a57c8618c0c9b172.jpg

ab3c1e90e9143ba3ac6e6946e445c69f.jpg

644cba57aa6f615b489b6b17dc1ada91.jpg

fc6dfeb1edb4f3592765352aa81da529.jpg

c5f581f598bf034024ae6d94fd95a27b.jpg

96ec9954d0f528c7bbd95cab03302adc.jpg

cd481674cf055fbb4770fd4d3cbf96d0.jpg

ac6e5846c74b68425b95a35801c20c2c.jpg

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I own several WW2 M422's and vintage G1's. The best repro maker is Good Wear.
If not you don't want the wait of a Good Wear and can't find one used, I'd recommend, either Gibson and Barnes or Cockpit USA.

Re; Bill Kelso...I own a Bill Kelso M422 W&G repro I purchased a few months ago. Very disappointed in it. The leather is very stiff. Cut is way off. (Too long for the size, baggy across the middle...which M422/s G1's whereas vintage M422's and G1/s are trim fitting.) You can do much better for your money.

I disagree with the last part :p First of all, I think Cockpit is not making any M422, they do G-1s. G-1s and M422 are not exactly the same thing. G-1s are supposed to be less baggy than M-422s, specially latter contracts. Andrew's BK W&G looks great to me [huh]

I disagree with the last part :p First of all, I think Cockpit is not making any M422, they do G-1s. G-1s and M422 are not exactly the same thing. G-1s are supposed to be less baggy than M-422s, specially latter contracts. Andrew's BK W&G looks great to me [huh]

I tend to include G1's in M442 repro discussions. G1's are very very very similar to M422's...the main difference for me being the M422 design is a bit longer in the torso.

Can't comment on Andrew's M422, just the one I own. You can send Andrew a PM and ask him for his "up to date" thoughts. He's around. Just posted over at the Vintage Leather Jacket Forum on this topic (the OP posted the question there also.)

What I don't like about the BK M422 W & G fit and leather quality may not be issues for others. Don't know. I'm just comparing it to my collection of WW2 M422's and vintage G1's.
I DO know that pictures can be very deceiving. It was photos of others BK M422's that convinced me to take a leap and order one. Since having received my BK I have looked back at those photos and in retrospect see the same issues that I am not happy with in mine.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I tend to include G1's in M442 repro discussions. G1's are very very very similar to M422's...the main difference for me being the M422 design is a bit longer in the torso.

I think there are plenty of differences, some of them maybe just small details. G1s became more trimmed, collars smaller, at some point lining was nylon... If the question was what G-1 rep, I'm a big fan of the Cockpit too, the vintage one.

BTW, regarding BK, he just changed to another tannery in Italy. A2 horse hides are supposed to be better quality now. I don't now if this affects goat leather for his m422s.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I was very impressed with G&B when I was in San Diego a couple of years ago and had an opportunity to visit the factory a couple of years ago. My favorite knit jacket that I saw there was their AN-J-3.

I think there are plenty of differences, some of them maybe just small details......

Yep. Which is why I tend to group them with M422's when discussing repro's with folks asking for thoughts.

...BTW, regarding BK, he just changed to another tannery in Italy. A2 horse hides are supposed to be better quality now. I don't now if this affects goat leather for his m422s.

After getting burned once, I think I'll pass.
The louder a manufacturer extolls the virtues of their latest/greatest "most authentic" leather offerings the more my alarm bells go off. Especially if I've had a disappointing experience with their prior offerings.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Yep. Which is why I tend to group them with M422's when discussing repro's with folks asking for thoughts.

Well, for me m422 and G1s are two different topics, specially whenever we talk about any G1 particular contract. I guess somebody asking for a m422 is expecting at least a rayon lining and a bigger collar :)

After getting burned once, I think I'll pass.

I'm totally with you in this one :) It happens the same to me with some other famous brands. I gave them a try, I was disappointed and I'm done with them for good now [huh]

I have a BK A-2 and I think it's pretty good quality stuff. I really had a nice dealing with BK.

Well, for me m422 and G1s are two different topics, specially whenever we talk about any G1 particular contract. I guess somebody asking for a m422 is expecting at least a rayon lining and a bigger collar :)

Goes to show how different folks emphasize different things.
I think of M422s and G1's as "kissing cousins" when it comes to design.
Goat skin leather, single ply knits, gussets, bi-swing backs, mouton collars.... more in kin with each other than different.
The lining differences, differences in collar sizes are very minor points for me...and ones that I suspect the majority of folks don't even see.

I forgot another maker I'd recommend.
Aero.
I own one of their M422 designs that I modified ....let off the mouton collar..substituted their cotton drill lining for the rayon.
High quality leather....well made. Custom fit to my measurements. Very pleased with the jacket.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=98

(Not sure if they are using real mouton or synthetic....that would be important to me if I were looking to order one with the fur collar.)

Actually, overall I'd suggest looking for a vintage G1 pre 1968. Not difficult to find one in good condition....less expensive than what the better quality repro makers are charging.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Eastman (ELC) M422A takes a lot of beating (goatskin & a generous cut). More pointed collar and lighter shade of brown than the G1.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Goes to show how different folks emphasize different things.
I think of M422s and G1's as "kissing cousins" when it comes to design.
Goat skin leather, single ply knits, gussets, bi-swing backs, mouton collars.... more in kin with each other than different.
The lining differences, differences in collar sizes are very minor points for me...and ones that I suspect the majority of folks don't even see.

Yes, you're right, they are "kissing cousins" but there are still some key differences that can be relevant for some guys. For me, they are :) On this web you can check how the G1 evolved, plenty of pictures;

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

Yes, you're right, they are "kissing cousins" but there are still some key differences that can be relevant for some guys. For me, they are :) On this web you can check how the G1 evolved, plenty of pictures;

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

Well, I guess what matters is what is relevant to the original poster rather than to you and I.
He has some good information/ differing opinions to look into now ...re; both maker recommendations and jacket differences!

Mike_Honcho

New in Town
If you're willing to consider G-1's I'd check out Lost Worlds near you in NYC. It's the best I've worn, but I've never seen Good Wear, Kelso, or Aero to compare.

Lando

Practically Family
I've owned G1s and M-422a from a few different companies.
One of my favorites to this day is the custom M-422a I bought from Gibson & Barnes. I used their vegetable tanned goatskins, which has a much nicer grain and feel than their standard Goatskin and a rich russet color that might fit your bill, and their silk lining, which I just like. I know it's not historically accurate, but their silk liner is one of the most comfortable and hard wearing liners I've had in any of my jackets. For the price, G&B does the job, and you will get years of hard use out of it. Historically accurate, no, but I'd rather get close to the idea of thing and then layer it with my own interests.
6674056585_60b25e0000_o.jpg

6674057381_3e01d29b7d_o.jpg

Lost Worlds and Aero do very nice M-422a and G1's but they do ask a price for them. If you have it to spare you won't regret the quality. Both have a nice neat fit and the goatskin they use is strong and dependable. Lost Worlds doesn't do a russet Goatskin though.
Bill Kelso makes a great G1 but I do find their goatskin a little stiff when new. Take a bit to wear in. But otherwise, a great G1.
Johnson Leathers in SF does a G1 as well, and will walk through the details with you to get exactly what you want. I myself am going to get a G1 from them soon in a Horween overdyed leather, but with a nylon lining. Again, not historically accurate.
Goodwear of course does beautiful work, historically accurate and tough to the bone, but you will pay for it, and you will wait for it.
It's money vs patience vs historical accuracy.
Goodwears take a long time. Aero about 6 months my last order. Lost Worlds about a month. Johnson's about 4 to 6 weeks. And G&B can take a month or 3 depending on the time of year your order from them (when their airline orders come in, their production line gets all choked up). So, I hope that helps at all. It's all a mess of data on the way to finding what you're comfortable with. We're lucky there are still a lot of good companies out there that accommodate everyone's varying needs and price points

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy