Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best Safari Pants? I posted a couple links so please add yours : )

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

warbird

One Too Many
I have used Tag Safari clothing a great deal and have always found them to be very well made and rugged. Also, the people who own the small family business are great people. Their clothing is as well or better made as the much more expensive Orvis.

To me the mark of quality is in the people who actually use products that not only look a certain part, but also perform it. I know a lot of hunters who spend months in the field serious hunting who use their product. Go to an SCI or Dallas Safari Club show and Tag will be swarmed with business. That says a lot. most of their clothing is made in Zimbabwe and they employ people for good wages in that small decimated country. They do make money sure, but still manage to sell their products for below most of their competition.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'll caveat this by saying I've never used them on safari in Africa... But, I picked up a couple of pairs of Orvis Rhino Hide trousers several years ago at one of those Orvis warehouse sales they have in major cities in the US, so they we under $30 since everything was 70% off. I've used them for hiking and hunting in Hawaii for the past 6-7 years and they have been excellent. The terrain is rough (lots of lava rocks and thorn bushes) and weather hot (80s or higher) so I would think they would work well for African safari.

Here is the current offering, its a little different than what I bought but looks similar.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=334Q

warbird

One Too Many
You got those pants at a tremendous price and at that price they are certainly worth the money. They are well made and durable, no doubt. And they will do well in Africa and most anyplace else of comparable climate.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you completely. I've been pretty happy with them. I have to say I generally do not buy Orvis gear at full price, I just used to wait for those warehouse sales when I lived in the DC area. I do not mind paying more for quality but a lot of Orvis stuff is just not worth the price they charge (in my mind).

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I wear Cabela's shirts and pants most of the time, including camping and they hold up well. I haven't seen any of the three place's stuff in person, but I would be inclined to buy Tag's stuff. It's made where you're going to be using it. I've never purchased anything from Orvis due to the price difference between them and Cabela's.

Later

H.Johnson

One Too Many
My favourite hot country wear is surplus British 1950 pattern khaki drill tropical gear. You can get the four pocket Aertex bush jacket (with belt), cross-belted long shorts, cross-belted long trousers (I go for the RAF rather than the Army version as they don't have the map and dressing pockets) and felt bush hat for around ten pounds each, if you are patient and know your surplus shops. I guess that modern stuff may be superior, but this stuff has a direct link with the 1940s and has more 'charisma'.

ChadHahn

New in Town
I have a couple pairs of Filson Safari Cloth pants. I haven't worn them in the rough but they seem durable and water beads off of them. I think I've gotten all my pairs through different sales so they can be had cheaply (relatively).

Chad

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana