Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who needs four-wheel drive? Offroading in the Golden Era.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Studebakers on the Rubicon Trail, c. 1920:

rubicon-studebaker.jpg

studebaker-sluice.jpg

Cut-down ‘34 Ford in the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, c. 1940s-50s.

dunescooter.jpg

1929 Ford touring car in Great Britain, present day

UK_3.jpg

Cut-down mid-1920s Ford roadster at the same event

monkeybiker.jpg

Restored Ford Model A mail truck/snowmobile

LarryJohnson.jpg

Similar Ford Model T

Model_T_snowmobile.jpg

Somewhere, I’ve also seen numerous images of hard-tail Harley-Davidsons in the woods, taken in the early 1950s (one of the bikes is a Hydra-glide), but its reminiscent of many stories from the earliest days of motorcycling right through the introduction of the specialized “dirt bike” in the late-1950s. Unfortunately, I don’t appear to have saved those pictures.

-Dave

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
So cool. I have heard that in the 70's near where I live some crazy hippies had an old flivver down in this hollow with a very rough road. In whet season the old model T was the only car that could get in and out. Must be those narrow wheels...

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Not to diminish the accomplishments of those old cars, but the Rubicon was a much more developed trail in those days, to service the trappers and the Rubicon Springs Hotel.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've gotten along for over 20 years in Colorado without 4WD (however, I drive only on paved roads and in the alley).

Not a few people don't realize that four-wheel drive doesn't help you stop.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Not a few people don't realize that four-wheel drive doesn't help you stop.

Having grown up in Alaska I totally agree with that statement, seen it a thousand times...

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Also most cars now have open differentials. Therefore "4-wheel drive" is really 2 wheel, one in front, one in back. But a locked differential on a car with a good driver can go a lot of places that a "4-wheel drive" can go.

Still cool pics! Love the Dune Scooter

Matt

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
StraightEight said:
Not to diminish the accomplishments of those old cars, but the Rubicon was a much more developed trail in those days, to service the trappers and the Rubicon Springs Hotel.

I did not know that. I'd love to know more.

-Dave

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
My Jeep Cherokee has 4wd but I find it really isn't needed most of the time. I don't do much off-roading but when I do, I tend to leave it in 2wd mode (rear-wheel drive) unless I get stuck. I figure driving around in four just means that when I get stuck, I'll be further into trouble.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Those old cars look so fragile. It's amazing that they held up to that kind of punishment. Though I guess back in the day many of the regular roads were pretty rough too so the cars are apparently tougher than they look.

It's also interesting that they used very little power back in those days. The people who rock crawl today put huge engines in their trucks, but an old Model T Ford only had 20 hp, just as one example.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think the 4WD fad has more to do with the tax deduction for vehicles over a certain weight than traction and control. I really do prefer my sedan over an SUV: I can lock up my shopping bags out of sight in the trunk, there's a smaller cabin to heat and cool, it goes very well in the snow, and it's not likely to tip over.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Most of the old model A's T's et-cetera did the job of an off road vehicle or tractor. Not even Main street in most towns was paved back then. The majority of present day 4x4s, including jeeps couldn't have even made it down main street back then. Look at the ground clearance of the model T's, there's plenty of room under the pumpkins.

And that dune scooters awesome!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Me and some good mates love 'green laning' in our old buses.

Pretty much stock, engines are little (30hp) but ground clearance is high. Being 2WD we know our limitations but it's always a surprise what these tough old vehicles can do.

And some 'back in the day' photos of the D'Leteren promotional expedition to Africa -

306361.jpg

306402.jpg

306396.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Mike 1973. Your pictures reminded me of a recent (sorry not vintage) experience with 2wd and reaching it's limits:

dr1.jpg

That's me in the blue shirt and red hat. Not visible are my Red Wing ankle high brown boots.

Sorry no pictures of our adventures but a friend had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler and I a 1970 2wd Postal Jeep and we would go "4-wheeling" together. Never got the Postal stuck. Posi-rear and interesting driving.

Matt

up196

A-List Customer
Off road in a Model A

LizzieMaine said:
Up in Northern Maine you'll still find stripped-down Model A's being used as skidders to drag newly-cut logs out of the woods. They're a lot of things, but fragile isn't one of them.
My car, a 1931 Ford Sedan, was rented for a movie and the production crew wanted to film it driving along a road on top of the Mississippi River levee. The big concern was how they were going to get it up there, with their best plan being to load it on a trailer and find a road to the top where they could get it up there and then unload it for filming. They asked me what I thought and I asked them where they wanted it for the shot. They showed me and I got in and drove it up the side of the levee, no road, just the embankment. Tough car, the Model A.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
MPicciotto said:
Mike 1973. Your pictures reminded me of a recent (sorry not vintage) experience with 2wd and reaching it's limits:

dr1.jpg

Matt

Lined up just right for the rooster tail that must have been imminent there Matt! We found a huge puddle recently, a good 3 or 4 bus lengths long, and of unknown depth... We gave it a miss and backed up :eek:

Ardennes, March this year.

Arnold getting a push out...

I'm not enough of an off roader to know exactly what the problem was, but Arnold has a modified bus. Bigger 1700cc motor, taller gearing. Seemed he bogged down easy and no amount of heavy right foot was going to get him out without assistance lol
We coped fine with our stock 1192cc motors, and original low geared reduction boxes. Our knobbly tyres helped too :D We just chucked through this.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I agree with who needs 4 wheel drive, I like others have seen all too many big truck 4 wheel drive types spin out our cause accidents. I have a 2000 VW Bug and Daisy (yes my car has a name) is a little yellow snow beast, more often then not my car is better in the snow then bigger vehicles providing that the snow is low enough to clear. That being said I know Daisy's limits and don't push it, mud is one thing she can't handle it is just bad bad new in mud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner