Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who took the "Swing" out of swing dancing?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think our main DJ handles unusual requests by playing them late at night, like after 11:00.

I think Denver might be an unusual case. The bands don't make much money at our swing dances; they mostly play there for the joy of it. They say that the dancers inspire them to play better.

There are actually quite a few "older folks" in our scene. They don't all have the energy of 20-year-olds, but, if they are serious about learning to dance, I find they often have a better feel for the music and let their partners express themselves more rather than leading move after move. (Of course, I appreciate the energy and enthusiasm of younger guys, too.) But one of my partners is "retired" (he's sworn me to secrecy about his age) and I've seen him wear out 20-year-old partners.

So even people in their 20s and early 30s can be old. I sometimes see couples come to our swing dances for the first time, stand by the doorway, and literally hold onto each other with a look of shock and awe.

But I'm afraid nobody here has gotten around to buying a sequined jump suit.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: One more thing, if I may say so. The higher your expectations are for how people should dance and dress, and how much people should know about swing music and the swing era, the more likely you are to be disappointed. (Of course, people not paying or getting obnoxious shouldn't be tolerated.)

People are not going to buy a new wardrobe to beautify the dance scene. They aren't going to study music. They aren't going to join a gym to have more energy to do the lindy hop to faster music.

Curious people might, however, show up at a dance if it's been promoted and they can get some low-cost beginning dance lessons from instructors without attitude. They might stick around if people dance with them and are friendly to them and encourage them. They might become regulars if they enjoy dancing and make some friends there. And if they are like me, they will eventually come to know more about the music and era and develop a great appreciation for it.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Hm, I am with you on this one Root, kinda. Even more annoying than non swing music is when they play music for some other dance and you end up dancing lindy with some guy to disco or something.

I am okay (in theory) with going to a Westie club and there being a variety of music i.e. disco, 80's, 60's swing, etc. If they are playing a waltz or polka I want to waltz or polka not lindy hop not WCS. I don't see anything wrong with a West Coast Swing club playing their crazy music, so long as they are not trying to say it is a Jitterbug or Lindy club.

I also don't see why people can't dance lindy hop to swing music. Maybe the scene is shrinking because there isn't swing music anymore. hmmm.

I don't see this happening in other scenes so much. I have been to a few milongas and the Argentine Tango people seem to play Tango music. They don't bust out with the theme song to the Brady Bunch, ya know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24