Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHOA! Awesome makeup, check her out!

Pola Debevoise

New in Town
I was completely confused about how to do pincurls when i found this thread, joanna, your pictures really helped and i did my first set the other day, it turned out pretty well!

And your make-up skills are incredible, you're a real beauty!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi Johanna, I just checked out your pin-curl pics and I think that you may have solved a number of problems for me as I have been doing mine WAY too tight and then ending up with more Lionel Richie than Bette Davies!lol

Can I just check with you, how do avoid getting a little kink in your hair from the pins? When I have tried pin-curls I seem to always have this problem, maybe it's to do with doing them too tight and stuffing far too much hair under each pin.......

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Honestly I don't know what I do to avoid the kink. Maybe I do get them but I just don't notice them or they go away when I style it or something. I've heard you're supposed to hold the bobby pin open while you slide it on to avoid it, but I tend to forget that.

Midgetqueen

New in Town
Johanna, I'm the_midgetqueen on Livejournal. I don't use the site all that much anymore, but I would like to add you as a friend on there if that's OK? I started admiring your photos when was just a lurker on this site. I like your style and you seem to be a very interesting person!

Hepcatkitten

New in Town
Johanna! I just love it when you pop up at all these spots. I like so many are just so awe-inspired of you.

Your pin-curl pics are wonderful.

I just can't seem to get my fingers to coordinate right to do the curl. It may sound silly asking this but how do you position your fingers to make the curl and does it take one or two hands?

Thank you!!
Lacy

jayem

A-List Customer
WONDERFUL!

I browsed some more, and I absolutely love, love, LOVE your Marie Antoinette. I have such an adoration and obsession with 18th Century French Court and the notorious queen. I swear, I must own every book ever written about her. Hell, I even own the BPAL interpretation of her perfume...

Johanna

One of the Regulars
jayem said:
WONDERFUL!

I browsed some more, and I absolutely love, love, LOVE your Marie Antoinette. I have such an adoration and obsession with 18th Century French Court and the notorious queen. I swear, I must own every book ever written about her. Hell, I even own the BPAL interpretation of her perfume...

Thank you! :) I really want the perfume they're selling at Versailles that is supposedly a recreation of Marie Antoinette's perfume, but it's ridiculously expensive so that's not going to happen! Have you seen my 18th century blog by the way? The link is in my signature.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Hepcatkitten said:
Johanna! I just love it when you pop up at all these spots. I like so many are just so awe-inspired of you.

Your pin-curl pics are wonderful.

I just can't seem to get my fingers to coordinate right to do the curl. It may sound silly asking this but how do you position your fingers to make the curl and does it take one or two hands?

Thank you!!
Lacy

Thanks! I start by wrapping the hair around one finger, using my other hand, just to catch the ends. Then I slip out the finger carefully so the ends stay inside the curl, grab it with both hands and just wind it up, not actually wrapping it around anything.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Just found this thread. Johanna, you're simply stunning!! I already have curly hair, but I can't wait to view your pin curl pics...

Miss Creant

New in Town
Johanna said:
I use pin curls pretty much all the time. Sometimes I use a curling iron as well but very seldom. Here are some photos of my hair in pin curls.

pincurls3.jpg

pincurls2.jpg

pincurls.jpg

pincurls4.jpg

I vary the set a little sometimes but this is the way I usually do it.

Hi Johanna,

Please can you tell us more about how you set your hair like this. Ive tried a million times but cant get it right... PLEASE HELP![huh]

If you did a youtube tutorial we would all marry you.... :)

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Miss Creant said:
Hi Johanna,

Please can you tell me how you set your hair like this. Ive tried a million times but cant get it right... PLEASE HELP![huh]

You mean like how to roll the hair? You just comb the hair and wet it and roll it from the tip in towards the head. I spray everything with hairspray afterwards.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Johanna.. first off.. you are STUNNING!
You take my breathe away!!.. but in a good way of course :)

Do you sleep with the pin curls over night? if you do.. how do you avoid them from falling out?
I have Medium/ Long hair and well.. its a tough one to roll.. but its worth it in the end! I think I just might cut off a few inches.. I lOVE your Hair!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
LelaViavonie said:

Do you sleep with the pin curls over night? if you do.. how do you avoid them from falling out?
I have Medium/ Long hair and well.. its a tough one to roll.. but its worth it in the end! I think I just might cut off a few inches.. I lOVE your Hair!

I know I'm not Johanna, but I've found that sleeping with a bandanna wrapped around my pin-curls a la Rosie the Riveter keeps them in place and nice and smooth through the night.

Johanna

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:

Thank you! :) I do sleep with the pin curls but I've never had a problem with them falling out. I've thought of tying a scarf around them or something just in case it would be more comfortable but haven't tried it yet.

My hair is getting pretty long now and it is a bit tough to roll, mainly because my arms aren't long enough!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Miss Creant

I know how you feel. I've been trying for weeks to work this style of curling and it never, ever comes out as neat and perfect as miss Johannas.

Johanna
You always have such amazing hair and make-up and clothing. And you do it all so effortlessly! You must have magic hair. Your pin-curls stay in without scarves, you never get kinks from pins, you get amazing curls from a few rolls and hairspray! :eek:
It's like you won the vintage styling jackpot :D

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
OOH johanna, Isaw your pin curl set on Livejournal.
I am trying it tonight to see if I can make my pin curls work.
they always turn out silly looking.
heres hoping!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner