Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why a Leather Jacket?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Strictly speaking, from a rational point of view, there is no reason for a leather jacket today.
Heavy, not insulating, actually impractical when compared to high tech materials.
But they look cool and fit differently than fabric jackets. And they last forever. I like to have things that are made to last forever, even if I don't need it.
With Shearlings comes in addition that I have not yet found a synthetic fiber or even down, which gives me such a comfortable climate as Shearling.
And besides, leather jackets are an old man thing and therefore I have to live up to the reputation LOL

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Strictly speaking, from a rational point of view, there is no reason for a leather jacket today.
Heavy, not insulating, actually impractical when compared to high tech materials.
But they look cool and fit differently than fabric jackets. And they last forever. I like to have things that are made to last forever, even if I don't need it.
With Shearlings comes in addition that I have not yet found a synthetic fiber or even down, which gives me such a comfortable climate as Shearling.
And besides, leather jackets are an old man thing and therefore I have to live up to the reputation LOL
Very true. Much like there's no comparison between an automatic and a standard car for ease of driving; but when you drive a standard you are part of the vehicle and it's past. I get the same feeling when wearing heavier, older hides; not easy or even necessary but unmatched by modern fabric for feel, weight and presence. And yes they help old guys represent as well.lol

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
It is a good thing to like well-made things. It's economical if kept to the necessary and an interesting hobby if affordable. I find that good, fitting clothing improves work days and favoured casual items are good for relaxed times. I'm lucky in that I only really spend on jackets and relatively seldom.
Well said. I struggle a bit with "kept to the necessary". Though it's good advise, I require more time to figure that out; trial and error growing pains I guess.

Edward

Bartender
For me it started with rock n roll. I saw those photos of The Ramones, The Clash, Johnny Thunders. Lou Reed etc... in mean looking leather and as a teenager armed with a bass guitar I really wanted a leather jacket to feel like my heroes. As I got older I started appreciating classic films more and came across Brando and Dean......Once I finally felt financially stable enough to afford one really nice jacket I found this place and havent left. Because I thought to myself well I have the jacket but what jeans and boots did they wear to complete the look? What else is out there....

Totally. It's an extension of Joe's "Like Trousers, Like Brain" manifesto imo. For me, the leather jacket quest began in earnest when I was about fifteen, with all the imagery of motorcycles and rock and roll. I wanted a Perfecto type, like Alice Cooper - a few years later, it was Joey Ramone, then later again Marlon Brando. Same buzz, though. The look, the feel, the smell. Anything other than a bike jacket - and a very narrow range, at that: it had to be in the general lancer-front area - though I did also admire Sid Vicious' Dominator - and it had to be black. And hefty, as 'real' bike leathers were in the eighties. Other Colours only came much later on when I got more into clothes in general. An Indiana Jones thing in part - though I'd been an Indy fan since 1984, it was many more years before he became a style icon for me as well. That opened the door to brown leather, other colours, and all sorts of non-motorcycle styles.

I find leather practical for me - great to throw on, I feel a sense of being 'protected'. Even in a light leather, The fact it's wipe-clean gives a sense of utility that wool or such lacks.

Very true. Much like there's no comparison between an automatic and a standard car for ease of driving; but when you drive a standard you are part of the vehicle and it's past. I get the same feeling when wearing heavier, older hides; not easy or even necessary but unmatched by modern fabric for feel, weight and presence. And yes they help old guys represent as well.lol

Automatics were not at all common this side of the Atlantic when I last drove (I moved to central London twenty four years ago, so while I have kept my licence up to date, I've not driven since. No need. A car's a money-pit I'd rather avoid, though if I were ever financially secure to the point of not needing to think about it, I would love to run a hobby car. That said, so far I choose to live in London over being able to afford a house with a garage...). My dad had a couple of autos, but I hated driving them. Between the autobox and power steering, it always felt far too easy, like driving a dodgem. Never liked power windows either, but that's a whole nother can o'worms!

Funny thing is, the heavy hide thing, which isn't as big here as it was fifteen or so years ago, is - along with 24oz denim and such - somewhat ahistorical. Some bike leathers (especially old, German bullhide) aside, leather jackets back pre 1960 were actually on average much lighter than some of the hides now popular. I think there are some designs that work much better in a lighter hide - I remember being shown a pleated- back jacket in a very heavy steer where the pleats didn't really operate as intended because of the weight of the hide.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It started with me trying to be comfortable in upstate New York winters. I started out with leather car coats. Then I caught the A2 bug and it all flowed from there. I cut an imposing figure without a leather, but in leather with a cap or hat I'm practically terrifying! After losing almost 100 pounds since I began this journey it's now more about style than intimidation. I like leather I suppose (don't take that last statement into the gutter you cretins) and I love TFL.

This is where it all began....

1653405706766.jpeg

Worf

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
It started with me trying to be comfortable in upstate New York winters. I started out with leather car coats. Then I caught the A2 bug and it all flowed from there. I cut an imposing figure without a leather, but in leather with a cap or hat I'm practically terrifying! After losing almost 100 pounds since I began this journey it's now more about style than intimidation. I like leather I suppose (don't take that last statement into the gutter you cretins) and I love TFL.

This is where it all began....

View attachment 428459

Worf
Jesus, I'm sure the people in your inner circle have little to fear with you guarding the gate.lol

Rugby

One of the Regulars
For me it started with my father being a police officer in Philadelphia wearing leather jacket which made him look cool, in control, assertive and comfortable during the winter. Then when I was in my early teens I got into rock ‘n’ roll and those four guys leaning against the wall, on the album cover, with black leather jackets and ripped leans blitzkrieged bopped and solidified my love for leather jackets. Later I discovered the versatility of the garment. It can be dressed up or down, casual or business and nothing beats leather on a motorcycle. And they last a couple of lifetimes.

I would disagree with @MrProper on the fact that leather jackets are not necessary nowadays. A down jacket or a fleece or any other “modern material” outwear cannot provide the look, comfort, versatility and functionality of a well-chosen leather jacket.

I agree 100%. More time I spend in leather, more I realize how horrible it is. Just no benefits over any other material when it comes to functionality but nevertheless, I am glad we all live well enough to be able to prioritize look over all the other aspects our garment should provide us with.

Viking752

Practically Family
I can only speak for myself but I have to believe others have a similar thought. Pulling on that leather jacket really does give me a sense of confidence, maybe even a bit of swagger. Let’s face it, not everyone can pull off wearing the leather jacket we spent so much time researching and acquiring. I do find it funny how the vast majority of the population has very little idea if your jacket was $100 or $5000, or how much time and energy it takes to find that perfect one. YMMV

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
Needed a winter coat many years ago and picked up a Sam Walker Barnstormer at a market for £120. Gave it away 20 years later but realized I missed a leather jacket. Bought 2 over the last three years and love wearing them no matter what comments are made. That feel good factor plays a big part. Also love old model trench coats and waxed jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk