Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1960s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Space exploration: 40 years since the moon landing and who cares?

Hippies: OK, maybe this is a good use for space.

Lefty said:
Hippies: OK, maybe this is a good use for space.

Black holes are good for getting rid of that problem. :p
And geez, can we get over the Beatles already? I am tired of hearing about a group that lasted a few short years and put forth nonsense songs---goo goo go away. :rolleyes:
Throw in Vietnam, Johson, Tiny Tim (here we go I know) and a host of neru jackets and fake fabrics. PU!:eusa_doh:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
And geez, can we get over the Beatles already? I am tired of hearing about a group that lasted a few short years and put forth nonsense songs---goo goo go away. :rolleyes:

I was going to add the Beatles, but figured the response would crash the internet.

LizzieMaine said:
Fortunately, "The Sixties" never made it up here. I thought it was just a really strange TV show.

It was a horrible reality show starring Timothy Leary.
learys-dead1-9727.jpg

The best-selling single of the 60s was a slice of pungent cheese, Release Me by Englebert Humperdinck. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The whole counterculture/revolution thing should go bye-bye. (Grumbles and curses about Boomers ruining this country and such...)

But the Sixties gave us Star Trek, and I was born in the Sixties, so there's a couple of things I like about those years.lol

Brad

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
TV's wretched Petticoat Junction. *yucky*

The commercial debut of Mr. Whipple.

Newspaper ads with tailors offering "lapel narrowing" and "pleat removal" services. They also "converted" double-breasted jackets into single-breasted ones, and changed peak lapels into notch lapels.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ooooooooh, this is going to be fun!

Why I hate the 60s,

Well, not all the 60s were bad, the early part of the decade wasn’t too distasteful, the later part of said decade did seem to run down hill in an alarming rate however.

I think what turns me off about the 60s is the lack of respect the younger generation had towards tradition and neatness, cleanliness and so forth. The hippy movement I feel damaged this country more then a lot of people would be willing to admit to it.

The start of the end as it were, the assassination of a president, an uproar of civil upheaval, the fashion wasn’t so hot… I really don’t care for long hair on men… ick! And I’m not crazy for the hair fashions of women back then either… or the boxy semi throw back to 20s fashions either… all the icky color combos, avocado green and royal blue? Come on! Tons of classic radios, furniture and such were PAINTED in light blue, avocado green, white, or dukie brown! People started to wear blue jeans EVERWHERE! Swede leather got a new life and it wasn’t pretty. Some of the music I can stomach… some of it.

The moon landing was amazing… that’s one real strong point that came out of the 60s that I feel I can appreciate.

I do like some of the TV shows from the 60s, there was some quality programming then… thank goodness most of the earlier shows were black and white… lol

I really think the thing that hangs me up on the whole decade is the fashion... Toss the whole mess in the river and forget about the whole thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy