Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does E-bay need so many cookies?

dnjan

One Too Many
Out of curiosity, I set my browser to ask me about all cookies before allowing them to be installed on my computer.

So when I went to E-bay to look at a watched item, there were over 40 cookie requests!
I understand 1 or 2 to deal with the sign-in stuff, but over 40?

Edward

Bartender
I'd imagine there's one for sign-in, one for "most recently viewed", and probably at least one for each of any automated searches you subscribe to, for a start...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
40! 40 cookies!
Cookiemonster2_FB.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Probably they do se some for targetted advertising, yeah. I routinely ignore ads, so I don't know what ones appear on my ebay.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Precisely,..they, and their many friends, want our money. I recently installed AVG Internet Security and it has an ad blocker built in which seems to work quite well for the cookie problem. I used to go from ebay to other web pages and would be inundated with ads for things I'd recently viewed on ebay, amazon, etc. Now they are gone. :D
So that leaves over 30 for unwanted advertising ...

dnjan

One Too Many
Interesting that I got 53 cookie requests when I went to the AVG Internet Security website to read about their product ...

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I could be wrong, but I believe most of those cookies are tracking cookies. Tracking cookies track your browsing, and they sell it to companies. There is a way to get rid of ads if you use Firefox. It's an add on called Adblock Plus. I highly recommend it to anyone using Firefox.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Ghostery is another excellent add-on that allows you to stop all the trackers.

There are three on this page by the way, Facebook Connect, a social widget, Google Analytics, a tracker, and VigLink, an in text advertiser.

Gareth

dnjan

One Too Many
Unfortunately, Ghostery withdrew their Internet Explorer version about five months ago. As soon as they get it fixed, I'll download and install it. Sounds like a good program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner