Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why EBAY never ceases to be entertaining

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Postage is really weird,......

In fact it's downright bizarre! I recently sent a package to the UK,..about 2 pounds in weight, and I used Global Priority Mail with insurance and it only cost $11 bucks. I was going to use "Economy" Parcel Post,...but it cost almost twice as much and would have taken way longer to deliver! Go figure,......

Maj.Nick Danger said:
In fact it's downright bizarre! I recently sent a package to the UK,..about 2 pounds in weight, and I used Global Priority Mail with insurance and it only cost $11 bucks. I was going to use "Economy" Parcel Post,...but it cost almost twice as much and would have taken way longer to deliver! Go figure,......

They've printed up all those priority boxes. They need to show it wasn't a waste of money, so they encourage you to use them.

The number of sellers who don't know about flat rate priority boxes for domestic shipping is also quite outstanding.

bk

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Those were your shoes? They were pretty cool indeed. I'd love vintage shoes, but with size 11 feet (and no clue about the width) they never show up. Plus, I can't really picture buying shoes on the internet, if they don't feel right, I got nothing.

Senator Jack, that is one snazzy suit that is right up my alley. It's too bad the pants are short. Being tall is great, but I end up with vintage pants that are too short. I find I usually need at least a 31 inch inseam, and even with that you still could see some sock.

kools

Practically Family
That's too bad. In the end, there wasn't much of a "bidding war." Both pairs of shoes went for a low sum. You could have gotten yourself a good deal. What happened?

What happened? I never saw the listing. I have been spending A LOT of time on ebay lately & making plenty of purchases. My "favorite searches" gives me 20 auto emails every morning & my "favorite sellers" list is also growing. And Marc, I just added you to my favorite sellers.

Flat Top, let me know your selling ID & I'll add you to my favorite sellers list, too...you might have some stuff right up my alley!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
To be fair Marc, even if the red and green shoes didn't generate the high cash you expected, you still made a modest profit on them. I believe you bought both pairs on eBay for about $68 (surpassing my measly bid) not too long ago.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
That's wierd. Actual shipping costs from Europe aren't that expensive. For example, a two piece suit from the UK to the US is 17 pounds - pretty much the same as it is to send a similar suit the other way.

bk

actually Baron, it depends totally on whether the item is under or over 2kg. Once it is over 2kg Royal Mail isn't allowed to send it. It has to go by Parcelforce and the prices suddenly rocket astronomically. To the level where I now find it hard to sell anything heavier than 2kg overseas.

AS far as I can tell this is because the government doesn't want Parcelforce to collapse as it is a flagship privatization and intended to be the blueprint for privatizing Royal mail.

PF made such a b**x of inland parcels that in the end the govt had to make them hand that job back to RM. Already PF have lost the sub 2kg overseas parcel trade to RM and over 2kg international is all they have left.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MudInYerEye said:
To be fair Marc, even if the red and green shoes didn't generate the high cash you expected, you still made a modest profit on them. I believe you bought both pairs on eBay for about $68 (surpassing my measly bid) not too long ago.

Right on. I did. I couldn't pass the shoes up ... they were too unique. Unfortunately, they turned out to be 9 1/2s, a bit too long for my 9D size, and the toes curled upward when I tried them on! "If the shoe fits, wear it." Too bad the shoes didn't fit.

Lucky Luke

New in Town
the Hat Nazi

Last night I emailed an Ebay seller about the real color and quality of a Texas Hatter custom. I also placed a bid. Here is my question to the seller, "Your description says that this is chocolate brown but your photos
look gray, is it really a dark brown, or lighter tan, or gray? Is there a
number of X's that is on the band or anywhere else? Essentially, I am
looking for the condition, color and quality of this hat."
Amazingly I received a response; "DONT BUY IT YOU ARE WAY TOO PICKY - GET A NEW HAT - BUT THANKS ANYWAY"
and the seller removed my bid.
Am I really out of line by asking these questions?
I thought I really liked the hat, but... any thoughts

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lucky Luke said:
Last night I emailed an Ebay seller about the real color and quality of a Texas Hatter custom. I also placed a bid. Here is my question to the seller, "Your description says that this is chocolate brown but your photos
Amazingly I received a response; "DONT BUY IT YOU ARE WAY TOO PICKY - GET A NEW HAT - BUT THANKS ANYWAY"

lol

Send that guy a thank you card and move on. Believe me, if he was that ignorant, you didn't want to deal with him anyway. There will be other hats, that's for sure.

surely

A-List Customer
that happened to me also! and then there are those who won't ship to Canada.
but then 98% of the sellers I've dealt with have been ok.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
surely said:
that happened to me also! and then there are those who won't ship to Canada.but then 98% of the sellers I've dealt with have been ok.

I love it when they get less than I would have bid on an item. HA HA*

*Nelson voice

Lucky Luke

New in Town
Annoying energy seemed to rule the day, so I guess that it was only fitting. But, there was a bid, and I would have paid more.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I just won the complete 8 disc "never been opened" DVD-ROM of the Complete New Yorker for $4.99!!!!! The thing retailed for over $100. There is a later edition that added a 9th disc but it is the Golden Age issues I am interested in reading. What a great bargain!!!

Brian Sheridan said:
I just won the complete 8 disc "never been opened" DVD-ROM of the Complete New Yorker for $4.99!!!!! The thing retailed for over $100. There is a later edition that added a 9th disc but it is the Golden Age issues I am interested in reading. What a great bargain!!!
That is a bargain! Makes you wonder what the real cost of items are that we pay retail for at the store can be,

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lucky Luke said:
2525391749_bf3e5ceafc.jpg
"Yew wastin' mah time, boy...Yew best git!!"
Unfortunately, this is a rather common sales technique among the lazy and proud.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
2525391749_bf3e5ceafc.jpg
"Yew wastin' mah time, boy...Yew best git!!"
Unfortunately, this is a rather common sales technique among the lazy and proud.

Can I use that photo for my avatar? That's hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou