Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Ford did not wear a fedora in Bladerunner

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I suppose it may have occured to some, that wit hBladerunner being so film noirish, why didn't Ford wear a fedora? Well, just heard an interview with Ridley Scott. he said that when he met Ford in London to discuss the role, he was wearing a leather jacket, khaki pants and a fedora, having just come from filming Raiders.

So Scott decided he shouldn't use one.

In retrospect, I think it is better he didn't. But as hat lovers, I figured you would get a kick out of that story.

Imagine, Ford may have been the last guy to walk around in a fedora and leather jacket and not get the inevitable Indy Jones cracks. I guess people just thought he was going for the safari look.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Black!

rather than a wide-brim... Maybe either a black porkie or a.... well which ever it would have been, for most of the movie it would have been soaked!!!

An interesting schtik he could have also played up is if he continually lost or ruined his lid and needed to replace it??? Hmmm? I might have to work that edge in for another character???

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Course next thing you know, he would have looked too much like Olmos, so that wouldn't work.

I kind of feel the overall eighties look works for the movie. And I agree, it owuld been so wet that it owuld have made no sense to have a wet hat on your head all the time. On the other hand, if it rained that much he might have been more inclined to wear a hat than a bare head.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Agreed!

Then again the whole soaked hair thing worked for helping him look worn out and beaten up. Mr. Ford was always good when he was taking a beating!!

Plus everything kinda hurts more when your cold and wet... God I miss Seattle!!!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I heard England and he was saying Ford showed up wearing his costume. I probably got London from out of thin air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR