Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Richard O'Brien once named Beau Brummell as the point at which creativity in male dressing died - "...along came Beau Brummell, and we've all been wearing that same damn suit ever since." It's all subjective. Even the perceived need for clothing as anything other than protection from the elements, climate requiring.

If we are all wearing that same suit then that is the standard. lol lol

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Do you argue that all taste, good or bad, is subjective?

If I understand the meaning of the word subjective to mean basically personal opinion.I wouldn't say that I'd argue the point I figure because what yourself or I decide doesn't appeal to you or me it might appeal to others and if we all needed to be carbon copies of each others taste it would be a pretty boring world.There are way to many more important issues to argue about than what someones taste may be

And to think I hadn't ever noticed this thread before. Glad to know my buddy Jimmy didn't forget about me over here, though lol

More like you are out of trash---drink the good beer now. :p
Ok, how long do I have to go on before Tom comes in and defends Schlitz? :p

A quart, that's kid's stuff, ever see a picnic bottle? They used to come in a pack of four.

Old-Style-Picnic-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-G-Heileman-Brewing-Company_56861-1.jpg

Holy Crimony! A full quart of beer.
To think, someone could drink that much of that ummm stuff.:p

I never see Ballantine around here. My dad used to drink it in the 70's. I need to get up to Viking. They've got it all up there.

It's still in the coolers here, right next to the Narragansett and the Ballantine. Good honest working-people's beer that hasn't yet been rediscovered by the Boys From Marketing. For you West Coasties, the equivalent would be Eastside, Lucky Lager, or Burgie.

Those of us who actually never gave up PBR don't appreciate the hipsters and the boys in marketing trying to take it away. I've actually thought of giving it up, but just can't let the hipsters win.

The whole PBR thing is a triumph of marketing over substance -- the very thing that the people buying into it profess to hate. Have a Schlitz instead.

I'm feeling the love in the hipster thread lol I agree whole-heartedly. I'm a fan of all country music from the beginning up until the Garth Brooks era changed everything too much. The 70's was the best of it.

Actually country music did reach its apotheosis in the '70s cause I haven't really heard anything quite as good since then.
Where are you, Tommy? Back me up on this.

Tammy Wynette -- Good Loving (1971)

Johnny Paycheck -- I'm The Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised (1977)

And to think I hadn't ever noticed this thread before. Glad to know my buddy Jimmy didn't forget about me over here, though lol

A quart, that's kid's stuff, ever see a picnic bottle? They used to come in a pack of four.

O f course I didn't forget you. :p

A picnic bottle of that....stuff?! Ok, truth be told, I do have a Heileman's beer sign in the summer house. :p I have never drank it before. I didn't think they still produced it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

A picnic bottle of that....stuff?! Ok, truth be told, I do have a Heileman's beer sign in the summer house. :p I have never drank it before. I didn't think they still produced it.

Hi Jimmy

Heileman's is the name of the company that produced Old Style. Old Style (not a personal favorite) is their better beer. Joseph Heileman's Premium beer is the nasty stuff. PBR was $7 or 8 a case in 1979, Old Style was $8 or 9, Bud was $9 a case and Joseph Heileman's Premium beer was $4.39 a case. You made a nasty face after you took a taste. According to the Chicago kids, if you drank it in the shadow of the brewery it was great, but that "it didn't travel well." Guess not, it was nasty by the time it got to Champaign Illinois. Hamm's wasn't substantially better. Olympia was just fuzzy water. PBR was good and Old Style was O.K. Now it's Guinness all the way.

Later

Hi Jimmy

Heileman's is the name of the company that produced Old Style. Old Style (not a personal favorite) is their better beer. Joseph Heileman's Premium beer is the nasty stuff. PBR was $7 or 8 a case in 1979, Old Style was $8 or 9, Bud was $9 a case and Joseph Heileman's Premium beer was $4.39 a case. You made a nasty face after you took a taste. According to the Chicago kids, if you drank it in the shadow of the brewery it was great, but that "it didn't travel well." Guess not, it was nasty by the time it got to Champaign Illinois. Hamm's wasn't substantially better. Olympia was just fuzzy water. PBR was good and Old Style was O.K. Now it's Guinness all the way.

Later

In other words, it stunk on ice. :p Perfect for hipsters. :p

I have Old Style Beer in my fridge right now. I like it, and it's not too pricey.

Took this pic today and will likely be cross-posting it (wearing today, drinking today, etc.), but here's some of our beer stuff. All Pabst in the middle case, Schlitz in the left case and Blatz in the right case, which you can't see too well. I need to get more pics of the rest of the collection, take up much of the house.

526004_10151215177334330_1102599318_n.jpg

I have Old Style Beer in my fridge right now. I like it, and it's not too pricey.

Took this pic today and will likely be cross-posting it (wearing today, drinking today, etc.), but here's some of our beer stuff. All Pabst in the middle case, Schlitz in the left case and Blatz in the right case, which you can't see too well. I need to get more pics of the rest of the collection, take up much of the house.

526004_10151215177334330_1102599318_n.jpg

That is quite the collection!
Punks and Pabst?! Pabst makes Bock beer?

Thank you. If it's Pabst, we collect it! lol

Pabst hasn't made bock beer since the 80's, or 90's, I think. I will get more pics of the collection one of these days.

It looks like someone has been dipping into the Bock beer collection there or does it just look like it is a half empty pack in the photo? :p
You need to open a museum. The hipsters will flock there in droves. :p

It's full, just the angle of the photo.

No hipsters for us, thank you! I frequently have people over and have them look at the collection. Sadly, most folks have little interest in it.

It looks like someone has been dipping into the Bock beer collection there or does it just look like it is a half empty pack in the photo? :p
You need to open a museum. The hipsters will flock there in droves. :p

It's full, just the angle of the photo.

No hipsters for us, thank you! I frequently have people over and have them look at the collection. Sadly, most folks have little interest in it.

Ok, I thought you were tasting the collection there. :p

Obviously you don't have enough hipsters over. They would flock to that collection like mecca. :p They would be interested. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic